User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2014 11:03:39 PM EDT
For a real stamp?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I did. I just want the real thing. Though I am tempted to do the next one as an eform.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I got one real stamp on an SBR. Efiled my other. Just efiled two more. 30-35 days is awesome.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:05:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell no.  I want the SBR, not a piece of paper.  Eform approval is just as good as a paper form.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 real stamps, one efile complete, one efile in progress, another efile planned, and another real stamp planned.  
That will make me 3 efile and 4 real stamps.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of my stamps are paper, but I'd efile everything if I still could.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Not me
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hell no.  I want the SBR, not a piece of paper.  Eform approval is just as good as a paper form.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:16:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 3 paper stamps I got before efile came in to play, and 2 efile stamps.  As long as I can F1 efile with my trust I have no desire to wait for paper forms in the mail.  And since all I'm interested in are SBR/SBS and silencers, I don't have any need to do another form 4.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#10]
What's paper form 1 turnaround time? If it's justas fast why not? Get the cool stamp...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I have 4 or 5 old stamps from weapons I sold. Cool to look at but thats it.

I could care less about the stamp or anything else except the approval.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What's paper form 1 turnaround time? If it's justas fast why not? Get the cool stamp...
View Quote

No papers to make copies of or mail in, no check to write, no fear of stamp getting lost in the mail.

I bet I could submit an E-filed form 1 in under 3 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No papers to make copies of or mail in, no check to write, no fear of stamp getting lost in the mail.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. I wonder what the future holds. If they don't implement 41P and Trust holds it's value. I bet eforms will be the future and no more stamps would be produced because everyone would want faster approval. Stamps will be collection then? Maybe... You know what happens if gun related stuff becomes extinct. Value sky rocket and someone will pay. Be good way to sell off a sold stamp.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just as legal.  I have "older" paper stamps on some cans and an AOW.  I also have two paper form1's still pending, so I'll have plenty of stamps to look at.  I just want my form1's to be clear.  I've gotten six efile form1's approved that have been filed starting in August.  I'm still waiting on two paper form 1's filed in July.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I dont buy firearms to collect stamps.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I do whatever gets approval in the quickest manner...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd rather have a PDF sent directly to me that I can back it up and have the printed copies be perfect than try to copy a form that has been folded and has a stupid stamp on it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Did my first eForms today. Took alot longer than expected. Errors after errors then more errors. Slow server uploading stuff. Finally got it done tho. Took an hour and half.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did my first eForms today. Took alot longer than expected. Errors after errors then more errors. Slow server uploading stuff. Finally got it done tho. Took an hour and half.
View Quote

Wednesday is E-forms down day...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. It costs me a few bucks to mail it in. eForms can be done in 10 minutes and the approved paperwork gets e-mailed back to me faster than snail mail.

Plus, I get reward points when I charge the NFA tax on my credit card.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Plenty of "real" stamps available on F4s. I'll take the ease and speed of an eF1 all day long.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Plenty of "real" stamps available on F4s. I'll take the ease and speed of an eF1 all day long.
View Quote

+1

until paper f1s get faster...eforms is the way to go! Bottom line an approval is an approval.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Have 2 paper stamps and one eStamp, with another paper stamp on the way (F4 for a can).

If I can efile, I'm gonna.  While I can't expect the turnaround I had on my first eStamp (10 days) it sure as hell beats the 6 months for paper.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#24]
The new "stamps" are just stickers.  I have a few of the old style Internal Revenue stamps and some Dept of Justice stamps and 1 e-stamp.  I just need a red one to have them all...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#26]
3 paper stamps and 4 eforms.

They all shoot the same.

I'll take whatever is the quickest at any given time.  If they come out with an audible .mp3 file stamp I can get in 45 minutes, I'll have my shit in iTunes...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#27]
"Stamp collecting" when it comes to the NFA isn't literal
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Probably same response for May 19, 1986. If people knew what it would cost today, everyone would have filed a MG Sears! One day these NFA stamps will become a day of the past and people will pay $2000 each. Then people will be like "damn eforms!"
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Probably same response for May 19, 1986. If people knew what it would cost today, everyone would have filed a MG Sears! One day these NFA stamps will become a day of the past and people will pay $2000 each. Then people will be like "damn eforms!"
View Quote

You're paying for the end item possession, NOT the physical stamp.  

inflated cost of MG's =/= a different mechanism for approval.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do people get this worked up over postage stamps?

"No! I want them to use the physical stamp because if they print the postage paid it's not legal!"
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#31]
4 eFile submissions on 10/3 and 4 approvals on 10/10. A 7 day turn around.

I'll take the paper approval for $200 Alex.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
4 eFile submissions on 10/3 and 4 approvals on 10/10. A 7 day turn around.

I'll take the paper approval for $200 Alex.
View Quote

Is that because you've already e filed before? Why is some people getting 1 day or a week turnaround and most still 35 days?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

"No! I want them to use the physical stamp because if they print the postage paid it's not legal!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess that's why people pay for items that can't be made anymore. Heard Noveske has a rifle coming out. Only 250 of them will be made! $2500.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I guess that's why people pay for items that can't be made anymore. Heard Noveske has a rifle coming out. Only 250 of them will be made! $2500.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not one of those people, relics are meaningless to me
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I do but only because an individual cant file an eForm 1.

If I could efile as an individual I would....until then its a paper app only.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I will go with whatever is the fastest and easiest.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I do but only because an individual cant file an eForm 1.

If I could efile as an individual I would....until then its a paper app only.
View Quote

I have a feeling if 41p finalized. A lot of people will switch to individual. I know I will for sure! Unless my lawyer can write a trust that only, I, can be the grantor and trustee.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I actually prefer eStamps. All of mine are that way, but I am waiting for 1 paper form 4. I love having my signed trust docs and eStamps on my phone at all times so there's no need for shrinking paperwork or carrying a binder. Once my paper form 4 gets approved I'm going to scan it in and keep it on my phone as well. It'll essentially be the same as my eForms but with the extra step of scanning them in and making a PDF.

ETA: plus I love the faster approval times of eForms.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$2500 for a Gen III Noveske isn't very expensive let alone a limited edition.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know! Its a Magpul Folio green gun. I don't know if I want to jump on the bandwagon as it might be valued much.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll be the odd man out here.  With paper Form 1's only running a few weeks behind e-forms, I do the paper forms still.  I like having the physical stamp.

Quoted:
View Quote

Um, no, that is demonstrably false.  You are paying for a stamp, that's what the $200 tax is for.  It buys a tax stamp.  Just like a postage stamp costs $0.49 at the post office and makes your letter legally mailable, an NFA stamp costs $200 at the ATF and makes your form legally valid.  You paid for the end item possession when you bought the rifle/can/whatever.  ATF may now say that an electronic version of the stamp is acceptable, just like the USPS says you can print postage at home, but the home-printed stamp still costs 49 cents, and the e-stamp is still what you are buying with your $200.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'll be the odd man out here.  With paper Form 1's only running a few weeks behind e-forms, I do the paper forms still.  I like having the physical stamp.

Um, no, that is demonstrably false.  You are paying for a stamp, that's what the $200 tax is for.  It buys a tax stamp.  Just like a postage stamp costs $0.49 at the post office and makes your letter legally mailable, an NFA stamp costs $200 at the ATF and makes your form legally valid.  You paid for the end item possession when you bought the rifle/can/whatever.  ATF may now say that an electronic version of the stamp is acceptable, just like the USPS says you can print postage at home, but the home-printed stamp still costs 49 cents, and the e-stamp is still what you are buying with your $200.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm well aware of the legal ramifications - BUT are you paying for a little piece of adhesive backed paper OR for the "privilege" of possessing the item which is represented by the stamp/tax.  Spare me the split hairs - none of us are paying $200 for the little piece of paper, we're paying for the ability to possess the SBR, SBS, Suppressor or other item which it grants us the legal protection to own.  The stamp is just what they give us to show that legal protection.

IF you are the type of person who IS willing to pay big bucks for a 1x2 piece of paper, more power to ya.  I'll keep collecting my electronically-generated-every-bit-as-legal-fully-functional-and-faster-to-get-stamp-that-I-can-do-from-my-desk-in-my-underwear-without-printing-or-mailing-anything.  Same price, less hassle, no waiting in line at the local post office.  Have fun caressing your pretty little green stamp (as you visit it in the safe deposit box, I hope?).

ETA : I haven't seen any of my paper stamps since the day they came in, I scanned them into electronic format, and locked them away in the SD Box.  I assure you, I did NOT pay $200 for "the stamp", only for that which it allows.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
...electronically-generated-every-bit-as-legal...
View Quote

That point is still up for debate.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nvm didn't read it all.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I skipped it.

Went ahead and made a SBR without any form. I function tested it to make sure it worked. Then I fired up the PC and filled out a Form 2.

Oh wait...
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nvm didn't read it all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nvm didn't read it all.

Lol, read the WHOLE thing - it's fearmongering that contradicts itself before halfheartedly admitting that it's own premise is invalid.

Then, in the comments, another attorney cites the legal code which expressly permits the use of electronic forms in lieu of adhesive stamps.

110% non-issue
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Lol, read the WHOLE thing - it's fearmongering that contradicts itself before halfheartedly admitting that it's own premise is invalid.

Then, in the comments, another attorney cites the legal code which expressly permits the use of electronic forms in lieu of adhesive stamps.

110% non-issue
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nvm didn't read it all.

110% non-issue

I did read it. I read the first couple sentences and thought the article was about forging a Form 1 since its "electronic". But found out thats not what the article was about LOLZ
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm well aware of the legal ramifications - BUT are you paying for a little piece of adhesive backed paper OR for the "privilege" of possessing the item which is represented by the stamp/tax.  Spare me the split hairs - none of us are paying $200 for the little piece of paper, we're paying for the ability to possess the SBR, SBS, Suppressor or other item which it grants us the legal protection to own.  The stamp is just what they give us to show that legal protection.

IF you are the type of person who IS willing to pay big bucks for a 1x2 piece of paper, more power to ya.  I'll keep collecting my electronically-generated-every-bit-as-legal-fully-functional-and-faster-to-get-stamp-that-I-can-do-from-my-desk-in-my-underwear-without-printing-or-mailing-anything.  Same price, less hassle, no waiting in line at the local post office.  Have fun caressing your pretty little green stamp (as you visit it in the safe deposit box, I hope?).

ETA : I haven't seen any of my paper stamps since the day they came in, I scanned them into electronic format, and locked them away in the SD Box.  I assure you, I did NOT pay $200 for "the stamp", only for that which it allows.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You may not like it, but I assure you, you DID spend $200 for the stamp.  You argument is like saying "I didn't pay $50 for the tank of gas, I paid for the ability to drive 300 miles." Fine, but what you actually spent money on is the gas. You may call it splitting hairs, but would you give $50 to the gas station clerk for his permission to be 300 miles away?
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You may not like it, but I assure you, you DID spend $200 for the stamp.  You argument is like saying "I didn't pay $50 for the tank of gas, I paid for the ability to drive 300 miles." Fine, but what you actually spent money on is the gas. You may call it splitting hairs, but would you give $50 to the gas station clerk for his permission to be 300 miles away?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is exactly my argument, I'm not paying for "gas" (stamp), I'm paying for that which it grants me, "mobility" (the firearm), the gas/stamp are simply means to an end.  Nether hold any value once used - the gas is combusted and the stamp is filed away...  

I'll bow out as this is a tech thread and it is plainly obvious that you're willing to argue the intrinsic value of a little piece of paper.  Make no mistake, I'm not a stamp hater (I have several of each kind... ), it is only that the stamp itself holds ZERO value to me (as was the premise of the thread)
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#50]
The argument can go both ways. You're paying $200 for them to register the item to your name so you can legally own it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top