Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2017 12:35:29 PM EDT
It took me til this past Friday, almost the end of our 3 week season, but it was worth the wait!!
20 ga flinter, cyl bore, 60 gr of 2F real black under 70 gr by volume of #5 lead. Shot was 11 paces, dead right there.

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
In the words of R Lee Ermey............O U T S T A N D I N G!!!!!!!!!

Very nice bird and a cool looking rifle and possibles kit. Details please.

I managed to kill a big Tom in Florida many years ago. Shot it with Lyman Great Plains with a 190 grain round ball on top of 80 grains of 3x Holy Black. Was about 60 feet away when he raised his head and I shot him at the base of the neck. DRT. In and out through the neck with no meat loss. Very lucky shot that I was ready for when it presented itself to me. The Lymans are very accurate and some of the nicest BP guns to be had for less than $1000.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you Sir!
The smoothbore was built by a guy in Mo back in 1983. I am the 2nd owner. 20 ga cylinder bore, so shots have to be 20 yds max.
I made the shooting bag, out of commercial tan Buffalo.  The horn was made by another, but I did the scratching on it this past winter!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice all around. I know the sense of satisfaction one derives from being closer to the hunt especially with BP guns and primitive gear.
Now, for the next chapter, take a look at the Lyman KITS for the Great Plains Rifles. They can be had in Perc. and Flint, left or right handed. Also see Dixie Gun Works for kit guns as well. They are really pretty easy to assemble as mostly they are like 75% done. Sanding , some fitting, cold bluing etc. I will never forget shooting my first hog with my Lyman. Hooked ever since. I love smoking up the public range once in a while jes fer grins........
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
very impressive to get a turkey with a flint lock shotgun.. Nice job!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice all around. I know the sense of satisfaction one derives from being closer to the hunt especially with BP guns and primitive gear.
Now, for the next chapter, take a look at the Lyman KITS for the Great Plains Rifles. They can be had in Perc. and Flint, left or right handed. Also see Dixie Gun Works for kit guns as well. They are really pretty easy to assemble as mostly they are like 75% done. Sanding , some fitting, cold bluing etc. I will never forget shooting my first hog with my Lyman. Hooked ever since. I love smoking up the public range once in a while jes fer grins........
View Quote
I'm about halfway thru a GPR kit!   I've also built a laminated longbow and a hickory selfbow in the past. Both have blood on them!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top