Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2016 7:29:54 PM EDT
I think I've heard of using crisco for lube, right? Is it all the same though? I was at Walmart and I think they had 1 that says "all vegetable", is that what you use? I'm talking about an over the ball lube on a revolver. Also for overall lube, could you use crisco spray for the insides and surface? I've just heard that petroleum lubes gum up bp guns something fierce! Want to avoid that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Crisco works but it is nasty as hell, get some wads for your revolver, much cleaner.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:49:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I already use bore butter by TC and it kinda looks like crisco, that's why I was wondering and is all crisco the same or I need a certain type?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't need it. Ball over powder is what Samuel Colt recommended.

Get some wonder wads to use between the ball and powder to aid loosening up barrel fouling.
Cabela's lubed wads

Lots of videos out there on making your own lubed wads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsZHrY64LYs

Use the correct diameter ball. If shooting a 44 Pietta - use .454 diameter ball that shaves a ring when loading.
Use the proper sized caps. Remington #10 seem to be the standard for most C&B revolvers.

What make and model C&B revolver do you have?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't need it. Ball over powder is what Samuel Colt recommended.

Get some wonder wads to use between the ball and powder to aid loosening up barrel fouling.
Cabela's lubed wads

Lots of videos out there on making your own lubed wads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsZHrY64LYs

Use the correct diameter ball. If shooting a 44 Pietta - use .454 diameter ball that shaves a ring when loading.
Use the proper sized caps. Remington #10 seem to be the standard for most C&B revolvers.

What make and model C&B revolver do you have?
View Quote

I've got numerous pietta 1851s, an 1860 and 1858 and a traditions .31 I forget what that is called.
So back to one of my original questions what is a good spray lube to lube and protect the rest of the gun? Should I use spray crisco, or WD40?
I knew the thing about #10 caps, but they are harder to find so I have used 11s and crimped them a little.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't use the Crisco spray as a lube- you'll make an absolute mess of your guns.

For the exterior, I use spray silicone after I clean my BP guns (1858 Pieta, TC Renegade and Traditions  inline) and haven't had rust issues yet; bores and cylinders get Hoppes Oil.

I've also changed the nipples on my 1858 to #11's and get better ignition.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 1:24:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I've read about 50% Crisco/50% Beeswax as a lube but never tried it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:31:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I use SPG for minie balls.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 2:22:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Mobil 1 20w50 or Mobil 1 Grease
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top