Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2016 10:28:47 PM EDT
Thought I asked this but can't find it now. Hunting with black powder, okay to leave it loaded overnight or fire it off before you get back to camp?

I would be concerned about the powder absorbing water and causing corrosion overnight. But then, firing it would require a good cleaning at the end of everyday to prevent the same...

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#1]
daytime bump
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on conditions and your actions.  Some of us put a bit of black electrical tape over or a balloon over the muzzle to minimize moisture issues.  In dry weather you'll be fine leaving it loaded.  In the rain, I'd shoot it and reload it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
More concerned about FL humidity but didn't think about the balloon idea, guess that would block the humidity.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More concerned about FL humidity but didn't think about the balloon idea, guess that would block the humidity.
View Quote

good question.

condensation can be a problem. I do not take my rifle inside the cabin when it is cold. I leave it in the truck at outdoor temp.

when the gun is properly loaded and the barrel sealed it should be fine for a few days. I am a big proponent of discharging and reloading often to make sure my gun goes Boom.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

good question.

condensation can be a problem. I do not take my rifle inside the cabin when it is cold. I leave it in the truck at outdoor temp.

when the gun is properly loaded and the barrel sealed it should be fine for a few days. I am a big proponent of discharging and reloading often to make sure my gun goes Boom.
View Quote
So you discharge it after a day or two.....do you scrub it to prevent rust or just reload and clean it when the hunt is done?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#6]
If I fire my bp rifle I clean it when I get home or camp.

Always.

If it's a wet day I fire it if I can, if I can't I pull the bullet and dump the charge.   I try to fire cause I hate pulling bullets.  Either way the rifle gets cleaned.  If it's dry I just store it outside for multi day hunts.  Single day gets discharged and fresh load because I may not get another chance to go for a week or more.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#7]
During Christmas, I took a percussion cap muzzle loader out to let my friends shoot it. I got a minie ball stuck halfway down the bore, and got it firmly seated at home once broke out a hammer. Since my local range prohibited use of black powder, I didn't shoot it for six months. It took two caps to fire when I finally discharged it, but it also took two caps to fire subsequent rounds until I cleaned the nipple. Keep in mind my state is constantly at 70%+ humidity. 

I'd say leaving it loaded is fine. 
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
FLA I can attest too the wetness... up in NY i would keep it loaded all season with no issues and discharge it when the season ended.. NY's northern zone is in sept and NY's southern zone is in dec so it gives a gauge of length of time I would keep it loaded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top