Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2016 7:07:33 PM EDT
Back in April I had the chance to visit Gettysburg, PA. Soon after returning home I began researching blackpowder rifles. I wanted something that was original, I could hang on the wall, and could hopefully shoot now and again. I settled on one of the Nepalese 1853 Enfield parts kits that IMA had. Payed $295 for it and this is what I got.

The stock was probably the hardest part to repair. I had to chisel out a good deal of rotted wood and fix quite a few cracks. I eventually settled on using a combination of epoxy, brass screws, and JB Weld KwikWood. After that I tried as best I could painting the affected areas with Tamiya acrylic model paint with a few coats to blend the repaired areas.
The metal was a different story - I had to buy another lock plate assembly because my screw holes were stripped out and I was missing some small parts. I managed to make the two lock plate assemblies into one that worked - on a side note, its amazing how much variation there is between the two assemblies I had. I ended up getting some new (old) barrel bands, and a reproduction ram rod.

My one concern is the barrel - it has quite a bit of pitting on the underside of the barrel. Looks like this is beyond shooting condition. I might pick up one of the $99.95 parts guns to see if I can get another barrel in better condition.

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I applaud you on taking on this project.

Honestly, in your shoes I would replace whichever parts required doing so to render it fully functional, while endeavoring to salvage original parts.  At the end of the day, actual people used this rifle to some degree, at an interesting point in Western history, regardless of how much of its full pedigree it retains.

If you've not already done so, I'd re-post this thread in GD for maximum educational and entertainment value.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice.  I've got a similar one, but mine has a spot for the patch box.  Fabricating a patch box is going to be the hardest part for me .
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Very nice.  I've got a similar one, but mine has a spot for the patch box.  Fabricating a patch box is going to be the hardest part for me .
View Quote

Pattern 1853 Enfields did not have patch boxes.  Minie balls do not use patches - the detonation of the powder swells the skirt of the cylindro-conoidal bullet so that it 'grabs' the rifling.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got done doing mine, but I got the $500 one. It's definitely going to be a shooter, it has almost no pitting on it and all of its original finish.

With my Gurkha Brown Bess:

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pattern 1853 Enfields did not have patch boxes.  Minie balls do not use patches - the detonation of the powder swells the skirt of the cylindro-conoidal bullet so that it 'grabs' the rifling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I realized right after I type and submitted the reply. I've got a Brunswick rifle.  One day when I get some free time and it cools down some, I'll start working on it again.  Got it all apart, just need to work on the stock.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice Nepal 1853 Enfield.

A word on these is that they arn't that safe to shoot, even when in good condtition. Nepal wasn't really on the same terms of quality like the British were.

I picked up an original 1861 dated Tower 1853 Enfield a few months ago locally. It was a Union imported Civil War gun.

Had to replace the tumbler and hammer on it though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice Nepal 1853 Enfield.

A word on these is that they arn't that safe to shoot, even when in good condtition. Nepal wasn't really on the same terms of quality like the British were.

I picked up an original 1861 dated Tower 1853 Enfield a few months ago locally. It was a Union imported Civil War gun.

Had to replace the tumbler and hammer on it though.
View Quote

I shot my Nepalese P53 yesterday, .575 minies with 60gr charge, it did very well. Also shot the 200+ yr old Gurkha Brown Bess. I would just make sure barrel and breech plug are in good shape before doing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top