Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2016 7:13:58 PM EDT
It is the 1/60 twist barrel and I plan to hunt with it using patched round ball. Will I regret this decision? I also have a pedersoli Kentucky flintlock if the Lyman is not what I'm hoping.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't see why you would regret it.  That would be my first choice in a production rifle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It is the 1/60 twist barrel and I plan to hunt with it using patched round ball. Will I regret this decision? I also have a pedersoli Kentucky flintlock if the Lyman is not what I'm hoping.
View Quote

The lyman great plains is very well made rifle.  You will have no problem taking deer with a round ball with it. The only thing i would swap out is the wooden ram rod for something like this http://www.spinjag.com/giramrod.php
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been looking at the kit version of these rifles, as well as the kentucky pistols, for my first forray into the BP world.  Glad to hear they're decent guns
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine is 54 flint.  Have not been able to get it to group.  Have learned that some posters on BP forums say the barrel needs a break-in period of up to 200 shots then settles in.

The butt was way too sharply curved for me (Yeah, I know they go on the arm not the shoulder, and I have larger than average arms).  I can tolerate the TC ones but this one cut me.  I had it chopped and put on a recoil pad.

The real sight was crooked, (a defective casting) and the trigger guard had sharp edges.  The company said they never heard of such but they replaced them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#5]
what powder are you using in your 54cal ? also the patch thickness could have a impact of the accuracy also..
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what powder are you using in your 54cal ? also the patch thickness could have a impact of the accuracy also..
View Quote

That is half the fun of a BP rifle.  Patch thickness, patch material, round ball diameter, sprue placement, lube, powder type, powder granulation size, method of loading, how often (if) you wipe between shots,  EVERYTHING makes a difference.  Have to play around with it and you will find what it likes.  

Good luck
Doc
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Good rifle.

Here are somethings I don't like:

Buttplate design.  OK, sharp crescent shaped butts were in style, so this is just a personal biased.
Lock - coil spring instead of V spring.  That's harder to work on (but easier to replace).

Overall though a good starter rifle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:13:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mine is 54 flint.  Have not been able to get it to group.  Have learned that some posters on BP forums say the barrel needs a break-in period of up to 200 shots then settles in.

The butt was way too sharply curved for me (Yeah, I know they go on the arm not the shoulder, and I have larger than average arms).  I can tolerate the TC ones but this one cut me.  I had it chopped and put on a recoil pad.

The real sight was crooked, (a defective casting) and the trigger guard had sharp edges.  The company said they never heard of such but they replaced them.
View Quote

Check the bore for the lands, maybe.  Could be a bad rifling, too.

When I rebarreled my Hawkin the groups tightened after I worked up a better load.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is half the fun of a BP rifle.  Patch thickness, patch material, round ball diameter, sprue placement, lube, powder type, powder granulation size, method of loading, how often (if) you wipe between shots,  EVERYTHING makes a difference.  Have to play around with it and you will find what it likes.  

Good luck
Doc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck
Doc

Doc your are correct for sure..
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

I had one that didn't shoot worth a darn. Finally gave up on it and gave it to a cousin...

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#11]
no you will not regret it.

I have killed dozens of deer with a 60-90 gr of Goex FF or 777 Powder with a T/C pillow ticked pre lubed patch and a .50 caliber Hornady Round Ball. try the different charges and find the sweet spot load for your gun. I've had good luck with 90gr in 1:60 twists.

the old standard of BP shooting was 10 gr for every 10 yards of target in a .40-.50 caliber. you will find that a RB will zip right thru a deer. far more efficient than what the load looks like on paper.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good rifle.

Here are somethings I don't like:

Buttplate design.  OK, sharp crescent shaped butts were in style, so this is just a personal biased.
Lock - coil spring instead of V spring.  That's harder to work on (but easier to replace).

Overall though a good starter rifle.
View Quote

one reason why I hunt with a Renegade is due to the sharp butt designs in the Hawken style rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top