Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2015 1:17:31 PM EDT
So, I have a new shooting buddy that's got a 1970's T/C Hawken in .54, and he more or less gave up on it after he couldn't get his pet load components ~10 years ago.  

The best guess is that the pet load was a T/C Maxiball with 90 grains of Goex FFG, but we're not totally sure about that.

Anyway, I cast some 300 grain Lee R.E.A.L.s, and bought commercial minieball and maxiballs from track of the wolf.  We spend about 2 hours yesterday TRYING to get it to shoot worth a damn. I THOUGHT that since it is a compromise twist (1:48?) the lee would shoot best, followed by the maxiball, with the minieball likely sucking.

The Lee R.E.A.L.s shot into maybe 6 inches at 60 yards, the maxiballs were only slightly better.  The surprise was that the minie balls, which I didn't expect much from, shot into 2 inches or so.

I'm still curious as to whether it shoots patched round ball better, but the minie ball is an adequate, if not great hunting load.  I've just spent an hour trying to figure out what mould track of the wolf uses for their commercial minies, since I want to get a mould, rather than be at the mercy of a commercial caster that might discontinue it.  Its a thick skirted design with 3 grease grooves, and it loads very easy.

Any advice?  Anyone know what mould would throw that minieball?

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you actually checked the barrel twist?

Most T/C's were rifled 1:48 but there are a few out there in 1:66.
He might have the slow twist barrel. Round ball for the win.

I have a .54 w/1:48. It shoots the maxi-balls very well but RB's are meh.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like a RB gun.

drop your charge down and the loads will tighten up. shoot 60 gr/volume and get back to me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't measure it, but Its never seen a round ball through it before, so I sort of doubt its a 1:66.  

There was a really ancient speedloader with a maxiball and 90 grains of FFG, so that probably was the good hunting load with it back 30 years ago.  However the track of the wolf maxi balls didn't shoot for shit.

I suggested round ball on a light charge (~60grains) of FFG swiss next, just to see what happens.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Me too for PRB.  That is all I have ever used in my .54 Hawken and it is a track driver.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been thinking about this.

have you tried the Hornady great plains bullet?  those have always given me great results with that type of rifle with a 80-90 gr charge. it is very close if not identical to the Buffalo Bullet.

if it is a 66 twist the RB should be the cats ass.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
mine shoots the old great plains bullets well, and .530 PRB.  Everything else is not so good.
View Quote

same charge? or do you download the RB?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a big fan of the traditional minie ball in either .54 or .58. Lee makes a traditional minie  mold in .533 and .540 diameters.

The Lee REAL has never impressed me, but like a round ball it has to be cast from nearly pure lead with a BHN around 5 or 6 to be at it's most accurate.

The Lee Modern Minie also shoots well in many barrels.  It's a weight forward design with a very long skirt that gives it the same attributes as a traditional minie ball, but with more bearing surface for the rifling.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#10]
2 inch group at 60 yards is quite good.    That means you are hitting within 1 inch of where you are aiming.

I would check the twist.   Might be a faster twist meant for the Minie ball.

We have a 54 Cal at my shop that is marked 1 in 30 inch twist.   It is not a TC but many barrels have been made for that make.

I have been considering buying the 54 at the shop as it should shoot the Minie ball you have.  It looks like an original mould that was modified for a heavy charge.   The thicker skirt would hold up and not over expand.    I would check the Lyman mould.   Or just call Track of the Wolf and ask them.   They might sell the mould.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Also worth checking whether the original round was a maxi-ball or a maxi-hunter.  The hunters are hollowpoints with a rounded nose, but they do look somewhat similar to the maxi-balls.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the Lee .54 minnie ball mold.  IIRC it's the smaller of the 2 diameters they offer.

It shoots pretty well in my TC new englander.

I can send you a few to try out if you would like.

It's this mold http://leeprecision.com/mold-533-410-m.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top