Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2015 9:48:32 PM EDT
Who makes a reasonably priced flintlock long rifle either kit or complete. All I'm finding is cheap traditions or ones that I would have to mortgage my home to buy. I was hoping to stay at around $400 but might go to $550-$600. And if anyone knows of anything cheaper please let me know. Just wanting a good gun doesn't need to be fancy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Pedersoli .
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pedersoli .
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Who has the best price on them
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go to Dixie Gun Works and look at their offerings. Also look at Mid South Shooter Supply and/or Midway for the "Lyman Great Plains Rifle" It is longer 32" oct. barrel available in .50 and .54 calibers, kit or complete rifle, percussion or flintlock. You can buy them in either 1-28" or 1-66" twist with the 1-66" being for round ball only. In my BP days I used these rifles for hunting and competition to good success. They are not really a true "Kentucky Rifle" pattern, but are considered by many to be a very accurate replica of the general long rifles of the day.Will last forever and mine were very accurate once you find their loading "sweet spot". ymmv
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#5]
You get what you pay for.  

I would suggest attending a rendezvous or the NMLRA National Shoot this coming June to see if you can find a second hand one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Go to Dixie Gun Works and look at their offerings. Also look at Mid South Shooter Supply and/or Midway for the "Lyman Great Plains Rifle" It is longer 32" oct. barrel available in .50 and .54 calibers, kit or complete rifle, percussion or flintlock. You can buy them in either 1-28" or 1-66" twist with the 1-66" being for round ball only. In my BP days I used these rifles for hunting and competition to good success. They are not really a true "Kentucky Rifle" pattern, but are considered by many to be a very accurate replica of the general long rifles of the day.Will last forever and mine were very accurate once you find their loading "sweet spot". ymmv
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually found a .50 cal percussion great plains rifle at a pawn shop yesterday for $150 otd it looked brand new, never fired. I had the money as fast as I could but I luckily slowed down and checked the gun out and it's previous owner some how put the rear sight in at an angle and caused two hairline cracks out of the dovetail and then glued the sight down with epoxy.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You get what you pay for.  

I would suggest attending a rendezvous or the NMLRA National Shoot this coming June to see if you can find a second hand one.
View Quote
With my job, I'm in my office in Ohio about once a month, I drive by the Log Cabin Shop on my way. I am keeping an eye out for a nice used one there, and drool over the custom rifles and parts. If I can't find what I want I may go and build one myself there. If anyone is ever in Lodi Ohio I suggest you stop by and check them out.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I actually found a .50 cal percussion great plains rifle at a pawn shop yesterday for $150 otd it looked brand new, never fired. I had the money as fast as I could but I luckily slowed down and checked the gun out and it's previous owner some how put the rear sight in at an angle and caused two hairline out of the dovetail and then glued the sight down with epoxy.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually found a .50 cal percussion great plains rifle at a pawn shop yesterday for $150 otd it looked brand new, never fired. I had the money as fast as I could but I luckily slowed down and checked the gun out and it's previous owner some how put the rear sight in at an angle and caused two hairline out of the dovetail and then glued the sight down with epoxy.  

So what? Get an oversized sight (or make one) and enjoy your $150 frontstuffer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry didn't notice I forgot to mention the cracks in the barrel from the previous owner driving the sight in incorrectly
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sorry didn't notice I forgot to mention the cracks in the barrel from the previous owner driving the sight in incorrectly
View Quote

That sure seems unlikely. Got pics?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#11]
No its still in the pawn shop, the cracks were small and not deep in the barrel. I offered the owner $20 to knock the rear sight out and let me examine it closer and if it wasn't too bad I would take it but he refused so without knowing what kind of a mess the dovetail was in I didn't want to make a $100 gamble
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Closest I can come to a pic
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top