Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2015 12:23:02 PM EDT
Hello All, my father in law gave me an old double barrel black powder pistol and I would like to get it working. What I'm looking for is a place to find out how much powder can be safely loaded. I'm not looking to load the MAX or hot, I just want to be able to fire the pistol with my father in law(kind of a bonding thing). I don't care about being able to hit anything, mostly just have the gun go bang without having any harm come to anyone. The pistol is a cap and ball with three inch hex barrels. I was able to fit .44 cal bullets down the barrels, but .45 bullets were to large to fit in the barrels. So I assume it's a .44 cal firearm. The barrels are smooth inside with what looks like rifling just at the very end. I've read that this rifling at the end was used with a special wrench to remove the barrels. From what I've been able to find, this gun may be from the late 1890s to early 1900s. I've also not been able to find any proof marks on it. Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
20 to 30 grains of FFF.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Might be a good idea to get it checked out first to be sure it's safe at all.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Take the nipples off, clean 'em up with a wire brush, look through to make sure the flash channel is clear, if not shove a stiff wire in there to clear any obstructions

As said above; load some FFF, a patched ball, and PARTY ON, DUDES!

ETA: a "45" caliber round ball is .440.  The patch takes up the rest.  So try a .440 ball without a patch first and see if it falls in, then, if so, patch it and have fun.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
THANK YOU all very much!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top