Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2015 3:27:42 AM EDT
I'm looking for data on the muzzle velocity at each inch of barrel length for flintlock muskets.

Has this been done with any caliber?

I'm interested in this because I want to get an idea of the length where you start to see real drop-offs in velocity. I would also like to compare muzzle velocities of different historical flintlocks, such as the different patterns of the Brown Bess.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The Lyman Blackpowder handbook used to contain charts showing velocities and energies for different caliber round balls/minnie balls. It also showed different barrel lengths. I have not seen a recent edition so I cannot say for sure if the charts are still included.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top