Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 7:11:21 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I had a gentleman come to me today for information on a Hacker Martin muzzle loader left to him by his father. It was a gift to his dad from a friend who got the rifle in the 1950s. The rifle has no discernable serial number, just "Hacker Martin" and the recipient's 's name engraved on it. He said it has a hexagonal barrel and decorative brass on the buttstock. He basically knows nothing about it, and could give me no information other than what I've posted.

I know there isn't much here to go on, and I know zero about muzzle loaders, but I thought I'd at least try to get him any information that was available. Anything about Hacker Martin- production figures, pictures, Web sites, values- would be of help.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Pick up a copy of the classic Ned Robert's book, Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle, It has a photo and a couple of pages about Hacker Martin.  Wallace Gusler met him and asked him about barrel making.  Hacker brushed him off with something like, "All you need is two big dumb guys with hammers."  
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Theres a good write-up on him in Foxfire #5.  He lived near Appomattox, VA, and my father in law knew him pretty well.   His rifles and pistols were sometimes a little "rough" and would not be considered up to the standard you see from most smiths today, but when you consider he was making all of his own parts he did  well.  He was one of the few bridges between the old and new blackpowder eras.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Theres a good write-up on him in Foxfire #5.  He lived near Appomattox, VA, and my father in law knew him pretty well.   His rifles and pistols were sometimes a little "rough" and would not be considered up to the standard you see from most smiths today, but when you consider he was making all of his own parts he did  well.  He was one of the few bridges between the old and new blackpowder eras.
View Quote

these things are his main legacy, and no small thing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top