Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 3:36:28 AM EDT
I want to load cowboy loads in .45 colt for my howell conversion.
the problem is I can't find much data that's actually marked as cowboy loads.  
I especially can't find data that used the powders I have on hand.
I was planning on loading a RNFP somewhere around 250 grains.
I have a ton of winchester autocomp, a fair ammount of red dot, a little win 231, and mabey 1/4 LB of unique.

so I'm looking at 45 colt loads and I see tons of loads that fit into the 700-800 FPS range I've read that I should stay within, but they are not specifically listed as "cowboy loads".  are these safe?
is there a specific PSI I should just watch out for exceding?

I just want to know if I have to use data that says "cowboy" or if I just have to stay in that lower velocity range (or under a specific chamber presure)
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:54:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Google trail boss powder
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Google trail boss powder
View Quote

I know what it is but it's main ingredient is unobtanium.
I have to work with what I can get.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Cowboy data would be best since most conversions I have seen are not as stout as non conversion firearms.  Cowboy loads tend to be on the bottom end of the power spectrum and would be best for a conversion firearm.  With that said, Trailboss is a good powder and is not unobtainium.  I see it at local gun shows all the time and my uncle who loves to shoot .45 acp has been using Trailboss for a while now and just purchased some recently.  

Do an internet search for .45 Colt Cowboy Loads and you will find many different listings people use.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I see all kinds of loads that I THINK are OK but the lack of any real pressure or velocity specs on what constitutes a cowboy load leaves me unsure.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Go with the minimum load for that bullet weight and powder .
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go with the minimum load for that bullet weight and powder .
View Quote

that's what I was thinking, but how do I be sure that even that is a safe pressure?
what is the max chamber pressure of a .45 colt black powder load?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Winchester 231 = HP-38
I use 6 gr. of HP-38 with a 250 gr bullet in my Kirst conversion cylinder in a 58 Remington / Pieta
Hodgon Cowboy action data calls for a min of 5.8 gr. to a max of 7.1 gr of HP-38
I hope this helps . You could post this in the reloading section or have a mod move it over to the reloading section for more info .
The guys in that section are very knowledgeable .
Good luck
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Winchester 231 = HP-38
I use 6 gr. of HP-38 with a 250 gr bullet in my Kirst conversion cylinder in a 58 Remington / Pieta
Hodgon Cowboy action data calls for a min of 5.8 gr. to a max of 7.1 gr of HP-38
I hope this helps . You could post this in the reloading section or have a mod move it over to the reloading section for more info .
The guys in that section are very knowledgeable .
Good luck
View Quote

I wanted to post it here because I thought I could find more people with experience in this type of loading in here.
I suppose I have gotten what I'll get in here so I have no problem with it if a mod is willing to move the thread to reloading to see if anyone in there has experience with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top