Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2014 2:44:37 PM EDT
I have a .50 caliber flintlock Kentucky long rifle. I have been shooting with mystery balls (.480-.495?) and pillow ticking for a patch. I've also used denim for a patch, So if I buy my own mold I want to get the optimal size. How do I determine this?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I think my mold casts .490 round balls and I use patch material from scraps of cloth that make the ball deeply engraved by the rifling, the patch material is .012 to .015 maybe.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I use .490 balls in my 50.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
.490 is about optimum.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for .490......
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another vote for .490......
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
before buying a mold you should test a few different combos of .490 and .495 and different patch thicknesses and see what gives you the best overall accuracy without requiring a hammer to load. It sounds complicated, but its not. If you lack the patience then .490 will be pretty easy to load and should be plenty accurate with a thicker patch, with the right lube.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
before buying a mold you should test a few different combos of .490 and .495 and different patch thicknesses and see what gives you the best overall accuracy without requiring a hammer to load. It sounds complicated, but its not. If you lack the patience then .490 will be pretty easy to load and should be plenty accurate with a thicker patch, with the right lube.
View Quote

+10

You need to try different size combinations and read the fired patch.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+10

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+10

Especially if you're going to go through the trouble of not only shelling out for a mold, but also scrounging lead and physically pouring your own roundballs. Might as well buys balls from the store if you are just going to guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top