Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2014 8:46:02 PM EDT
I have a 54 caliber muzzle loader. I am wondering what ball diameters correspond to which patches, and which ones are preferred for what reasons.

I am about going old school with a powder flask or horn, measure, capper, ball starter and loading block for the balls. I'm wondering what everyone's favorite method of carrying this stuff is, whether it is on a lanyard or in a handbag like thing. I am used to using plastic speed loaders on a lanyard.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 1:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally shoot .530 ball with a .020 patch, but the load requires a mallet to start.  Very accurate though.  A .015 patch is nearly as accurate but much easier to start.

I start the day with a .020 patch in the gun, but my reloads are .015 patching.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive got a TC Renegade I dropped a 54cal. Green Mountain barrel in.It shoots best with a .530" ball and .018" Ticking patch well lubed,90gr. FFg.I melt the patch lube and soak the patches until saturated.Typically use and prefer Dixie Gunworks Ole Zip Patch grease.
For a target load my best results has been with a .535" ball and .015" patch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top