Author
Posted: 1/7/2013 9:43:21 PM

Shit on me, I can't decide which one to get. HELP! I like the looks and size of the Pietta 5.5 inch Sheriffs, but I like the historical authenticity of the full size. But everyone says Uberti is just a better gun....

Choosing sucks.
mic214
Damn, those were the Droids we were looking for!
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/8/2013 7:41:59 AM
A buddy of mine introduced me to the Pietta New Army's a couple of years ago. He had the "Sheriff's Model" with the 5-1/2" barrel. He also had a Kirst conversion cylinder which allowed him to shoot .45 Colt and .45 Schofield ammo.

After I got home from that range session, I was doing a little research on the Pietta and found that Cabella's was having a great sale on them. So, in a short period of time, I ended up with three of the Pietta New Army's. One is the standard 8" and the other two are the 5-1/2" models. I also picked up a Howell's, 5 shot conversion cylinder which fit all three revolvers.

I have shot all three with black powder and with smokeless powder using the conversion cylinder and they have all shot great. I have another friend who has a couple of Uberti New Army's that he uses in cowboy action shooting. They are a little nicer fit and finished than the Pietta's, but they also cost a bit more.

Depending on your budget, you can't go wrong with either one in my opinion....

"A gun is just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool……A gun is as good or as bad as the man who carries it"

"This would never happen at Black Mesa"
raf
Sr. Staff, Armory and Outdoors Communities
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/8/2013 8:04:54 AM
[Last Edit: 1/8/2013 3:39:44 PM by raf]
Obviously, the longer barrel will have greater sight radius, and longer range due to increased muzzle velocity. Projectile will have more energy at almost any range with longer barrel. As against that, it is more cumbersome due to barrel length.

If you have a choice, get stainless steel and adjustable sights. Make sure to get a couple or three spare cylinders for same model pistol from same vendor when purchasing pistol. With practice, the Remmy can be reloaded with new cylinder very quickly.

If you want a small, compact revolver to compliiment the larger 1858, then get the stainless .36 cal:http://www.pietta.us/products/Muzzleloadinguns/Remington/gallery/Remington_1858_03.html.

Yeah, it's a different caliber, but it is quite small, and very handy/concealable.
"The M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." General George S. Patton Jr.,US Army
24ksports
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/3/2013 10:42:14 PM
Go with the 5 1/2 " Pietta Sheriffs model. If you don't like the hobby you can resell pretty quick and get most of your money back. Uberti's are better in some models but in recent years Pietta has improved quality control on most models.