Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2017 11:22:56 AM EDT
I dont know a whole lot about webley revolvers but have wanted a WWII one for a while. I've been browsing the forums online to read up a bit about them. One was just posted that is fairly local (about an hour and a half away). I don't know enough about them to determine what model it is and was wondering if anyone would be able to tell. It's chambered in 38 and it has no spur. That's about all I know. I'm specifically after one that was issued during WWII. I think the only ones that had spurs removed or were made without were for the military, correct? This is the only picture of it I have so far. Thanks

I haven't gotten it, I just want to know what model it is.

Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Trigger pull 20 lbs or 30 lbs? .38 S&W can be used but won't hit POI compared to the 38/200. [the 38S&W will hit low]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Got a response from him. Its a No2 Mk1** marked 1942
He's asking 300 OBO. Might see if he'll take 250. Going to ask for some better pics.

I had read about that. I take my older rifles out now and then (as a treat). I've just wanted a webley for a while to go with my enfields. Probably won't shoot it a whole lot.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Its WWII, the ones with the bobbed spur were issued to armored/motorized troops, one less thing to snag in the tank/vehicle.

That is not a bad price for one anymore....It looks complete, and in good shape...has the lanyard loop, nice grips...maker? There were several different makers, and Aussie made Albions would command a bit of a premium...

If you want one, I'd snag it...
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
That's actually an Enfield revolver, not a Webley.  They are externally very similar but have a few differences.  Enfield produced them during WW2 for the British Army until they couldn't keep up with demand and the military bought the MK IV from Webley.

$250 is a good price as long as the cylinder locks up well.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
He said it locks up tight and no issues. It's marked Albion
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#6]
They are curio and relic and frankly shitty as a weapon.  The trigger pull is gdawdawful and accuracy is worse.  I have one that will at least operate in SA/DA.  The bobbed ones are DA only and suitable only for display.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Enfield was making pistols earlier than WWII, in .455

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He said it locks up tight and no issues. It's marked Albion
View Quote
If its an Albion, I would definitely snag it, like I said, they are Aussie made, and found in much fewer numbers compared to Enfield and Webley in the .38....

They are not great guns, but they are great pieces of history, and look cool....
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd be driving to get that right away.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Its WWII, the ones with the bobbed spur were issued to armored/motorized troops, one less thing to snag in the tank/vehicle.

That is not a bad price for one anymore....It looks complete, and in good shape...has the lanyard loop, nice grips...maker? There were several different makers, and Aussie made Albions would command a bit of a premium...

If you want one, I'd snag it...
View Quote
The bobbed hammer version was issued to everyone.  The tankers started the idea but it quickly became the standard issue for all troops.

As others have mentioned, an interesting piece of history but not a user friendly firearm.  Trigger pull on these range from bad to gruesome.  That one looks pretty clean, price is reasonable.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If its an Albion, I would definitely snag it, like I said, they are Aussie made, and found in much fewer numbers compared to Enfield and Webley in the .38....

They are not great guns, but they are great pieces of history, and look cool....
View Quote
Albion Motors made No. 2s are Scottish-made, not Aussie - the Aussie No. 2 revolvers were made by HAC (Howard Auto Cultivator)- and are even rarer than the Albions - only 350 or so were made.

For $250 I'd be all over that. Buy it, OP.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Albion Motors made No. 2s are Scottish-made, not Aussie - the Aussie No. 2 revolvers were made by HAC (Howard Auto Cultivator)- and are even rarer than the Albions - only 350 or so were made.

For $250 I'd be all over that. Buy it, OP.
View Quote
Well, that's what I get for going by memory instead of checking Skennerton....

But I remembered the Albions were scarcer....
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#13]
OP for that price even at $300 I would probably pick it up, assuming its in good condition.  I have a weak spot for top break revolvers.

Check out Matt's Bullets.  He sells the proper diameter (.361 inch) 200 gr spherical nose bullets for both reloaders and as loaded 38/200 ammunition.  This is as close to the orginal Mk I ammo as I have been able to find.  They have worked very nicely in my Webley Mark IV.

Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I actually offered a bit less and he tossed out 240 and is throwing in a box of 38 s&w.

Trying to work out a time to meet up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an early Enfield No. 2 with a proper spur hammer that is DA/SA and it's actually not a bad shooter in SA.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well I actually offered a bit less and he tossed out 240 and is throwing in a box of 38 s&w.

Trying to work out a time to meet up.
View Quote
Great deal. As far as working out a time, if it were me it would be: "How about in an hour?"
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Great deal. As far as working out a time, if it were me it would be: "How about in an hour?"
View Quote
Seems like both of us have busy schedules but I told him as long as I'm not at work I can be there whenever you want.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Seems like both of us have busy schedules but I told him as long as I'm not at work I can be there whenever you want.
View Quote
Cool. Post more pics when you get it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice find
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I picked it up tonight. It's nicer than I thought it would be. The only real wear is the finish on the cylinder. Super nice guy. I offered to drive the whole way and he met me half way. Got the revolver, case, and box of ammo for 240.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#22]
That was a really good deal on that, nice piece!
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That was a really good deal on that, nice piece!
View Quote
thanks! Im hoping to take it out this weekend
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Is it just me, or is that a whole lot of finish wear on the cylinder as opposed to the frame and barrel.  Possibly replaced?  I have a 1939 Enfield manufactured one where the finish is uniform.  

I would be very interested in more detailed pics, especially on the various markings.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Good deal for the price!  Enjoy they are fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Got a trigger gauge?  Would love to know what the trigger pull is.  Nice piece of history @ a good price, OP.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#27]
It looks like that in person too. I was wondering g if the cylinder was replaced or if someone was recovering after a rough weekend when they numbered it. All the numbers I see match on it except the cylinder is marked the exact opposite (ex B5640 and cylinder 0465B)

I don't have a trigger gauge but it doesn't feel too bad. I shot from about 10 yards away and kept the shots in a fist sized group. It's a little heavy but not annoying.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#28]
The original British load was 200 grains, but I believe they switched to a 174?  176 grain load early in the war.  The sights may be regulated for the faster load.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top