Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2017 8:03:22 PM EDT
So, I have a Turk M38 that bubba got his disgusting hands on, which has left it without a stock, destroyed barrel, and heavily pitted bolt. Thankfully, he didn't drill and tap the receiver or mess with that in any way (used a "scout" setup). I would like to rebarrel it to 6.5x55 Swedish and put a heavier barrel on it. I assume that the action should accept the new round just fine, but I'm curious if a Swedish Mauser bolt will work in the action? I know that the Swede is cock-on-close vs the standard Mauser cock-on-open, but shouldn't that mechanism of action be solely contained in the bolt itself? Basically, I would like to use a Swedish Mauser bolt in a Turk M38 action, and I'm curious if it'll work. Also, would an FN commercial (slick) bolt shroud/sleeve work with a Swedish bolt? I tried searching for these answers but I guess others aren't as crazy as I am to attempt it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not all that familiar with the Turks but aren't they made on the '98 action?

That's a larger sized action than the Swedesb that were built on the '95 actions.  I would be very surprised if one could use a '93 or '95 bolt in a '98 action.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not all that familiar with the Turks but aren't they made on the '98 action?

That's a larger sized action than the Swedesb that were built on the '95 actions.  I would be very surprised if one could use a '93 or '95 bolt in a '98 action.
View Quote
Wow, I didn't even think of that. You're right that the M38 is a '98 action. Back to the drawing board.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]
It's called a tweed. Most Turkish mausers have  "large ring" receiver with small ring threads. It was so they could rebarrel their rifles with old takeoff 1893 barrels. It was a common conversion back in the 90's and early 2000's. A Swedish Mauser barrel should screw right on and only need finish reaming to the proper headspace. The bolt faces are very similar.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I knew a guy who re-barreled Turk actions with Swede barrels from Numrich.  Did lots of them.

Your standard Mauser 98 bolt will fit just about any Turk 38 action.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I knew a guy who re-barreled Turk actions with Swede barrels from Numrich.  Did lots of them.

Your standard Mauser 98 bolt will fit just about any Turk 38 action.
View Quote
Yeah, I just like the shape and style of the turned down Swede bolt. I'm still going to go through with building it up in 6.5x55, but I'll turn the barrel myself since I want a heavier one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top