Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2017 9:13:18 AM EDT
I've been loading them the "official" way, but I still get rim lock pretty consistently:

I'd rather not load them so that they're uni-directional, but I don't really see a way around it if I want smooth loading and feeding.

Any tips or tricks I'm missing?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Meh, I always load mine so the rims are in front of each other all the way to the top....
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh, I always load mine so the rims are in front of each other all the way to the top....
View Quote
Same. I don't think I've ever had rim lock doing it that way either. I never knew about the way the OP posted.

Eta: I will say that when done the way I do it one side of the cartridges has a distinct angle - I always face that downwards. It makes sense that the official way would be done in the manner in the OP as it would work better regardless of clip orientation which would probably be more important in combat. Early mannlicher clip systems only worked one way and that was seen as a drawback and phased out in later mannlicher rifles.

My way looks like this:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
For .303 or mosins it doesn't matter how you stack them.

Work the bolt like a man... I've never had rimlock issues and have been shooting these rifles for 30+ years.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I always loaded Mosin clips in the manner featured in oates picture. Smoother feeding than alternating the rims like OP's picture, and no risk of rim lock.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always loaded Mosin clips in the manner featured in oates picture. Smoother feeding than alternating the rims like OP's picture, and no risk of rim lock.
View Quote
It doesn't matter how you stack them in a mosin.

The rifle has an interruptor/ejector that prevents rimlock from happening as they are fed into the chamber.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
With a mosin it mostly don't matter how you stack the clips. Genrally you will still want the rim of the top cartridge forward of the second cartrige because of a common mistake. Most people will not depress the top round deep enough for the second round to catch the intruptor. You need to depress the top round an extra 1/4-1/2 inch below flush so the second round will catch the inteupter.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Mosin don't matter.

303.... Load them like the book and you won't have many if any rim lock.

In 25 ys of shooting Enfields and using chargers they work best with surplus ball or commercial 174 FMJ with close OAL to Ball.

Shooting 150 soft points ( commercial  / Handloads ) the OAL is shorter and the rounds tend not to fall all the way to the rear of mag as rounds strip ( and don't get the benefit of bullet tips pushing rounds to rear against front of mag )  esp the last rounds even holding muzzle high and you can easily get a last round rimlock.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Why Lee-Enfield Rimjams Are Not A Big Deal

I think you guys will all find this helpful.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I shove 303 into the chargers and it seems to pretty much take care of itself with no trouble. Never felt the need to pay attention to how they are oriented in the clip and they run like poop through a goose
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top