Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 11:34:45 PM EDT
I'm eyeballing a 98k at a local gunshop thats missing it's cleaning rod.  Whilst conducting research I found out there are two different lengths of cleaning rods for these rifles.  Now how do we go about measuring to find the right length?  Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:05:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Use a small wood or metal dowel to measure the length.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#2]
+1

I used a section of an aluminum cleaning rod to measure..
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, if the stock is 1939 or so, or earlier, it will be the 10.5" rod....I do  not recall off the top of my head when the switch exactly took place, but it was around there or maybe a little earlier...

But, yeah, a small diameter rod of some sort will do the trick...

ETA It will either be 10.5" or 12"...I would say roughly 2.5" stick out, so somewhere around a 8" depth would be the short rod, 10" depth the long....
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I cut a coat hanger, stick it in, mark with sharpie, pull out and use a ruler to measure the length. 
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, if the stock is 1939 or so, or earlier, it will be the 10.5" rod....I do  not recall off the top of my head when the switch exactly took place, but it was around there or maybe a little earlier...

But, yeah, a small diameter rod of some sort will do the trick...

ETA It will either be 10.5" or 12"...I would say roughly 2.5" stick out, so somewhere around a 8" depth would be the short rod, 10" depth the long....
View Quote
I sent you an email with a question
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I sent you an email with a question
View Quote
Hey Man...didn't seem to get an email...try IMing me....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top