Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2017 12:19:38 PM EDT
I picked this up yesterday. I almost never see Berthiers in my area and the ones I do see are usually carbines. This one was too nice too pass up. Has a bright shiny bore. Bolt is mismatched but everything else is matching.

Attachment Attached File

Best I can tell it is really a transitional model that has the upper handguard of the Mle. 16 but the 3 round capacity of the Mle. 1907/15. My understanding is that very few 5 shot Mle. 16 rifles saw use in WWI.

Attachment Attached File

Receiver was made by Constinsouza. They were a gramophone company that ended up making receivers and other small parts during the war. Rifle was assembled by one of the other arsenals.

Attachment Attached File

Barrel is dated 1917. It has the N marking indicating the 1930s overhaul for the heavier ball cartridge.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Rifle came with the original sling but it needs some TLC and I don't have anything to treat leather with at the moment, so it is off the gun lest it get cracked.

Unfortunately the stock is duffel cut right under the rear barrel band. This was done carefully though and should be relatively easy to fix.

Curious if you guys have anything else you can tell me about it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
That is one damn good looking Berthier, most of the ones I see are carbines and they tend to be well used. Great find!  
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice 07/15 .

Most of these came/ imported from Syria & N Africa and were thrashed.

You can still use a five round Mle 16 charger they are easier to find vs the 3 rd'rs
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

I'm debating fixing the duffle cut or maybe just finding another stock to shoot it with. Someone many years ago tried to fix it with a crude dowel and wood glue, but that fix didn't take. Looking around online it seems that there are some guys who think the duffle cuts are best left unfixed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow! Nice.  I bought a duffle-cut Berthier rifle years ago.  I have not regretted the purchase.  Mine is not nearly as nice as yours.

I suspect mismatched bolts are more common than not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top