Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2017 11:55:01 PM EDT
Hello!  Brand new member here and also fairly new to C&R.  I started my collection about a year ago when I began inheriting some military firearms.  I also recently got my C&R FFL to make it easier to receive the rest of the family collection.

I'm somewhat stuck trying to figure out much about this K98...the receiver has very few markings and most of the rest of the rifle is mix-and-match.  Can anyone help fill in some gaps: Where was it likely produced? When?  Is it mostly rebuilt?

Sorry for some of the pics...lighting outside was challenging today.  If needed I can take more or different photos.

Thanks!

Left full:

Right close:

Receiver top:

Receiver left side:

Rear sight markings:

Bolt Markings:

Safety (markings scratched off?)

Fore-end and muzzle:

Butt stock:

Whole German Family:
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm fairly new to Mausers too, but I would say it is defiantly refinished seeing as all the receiver markings have been scrubbed and the whole rifle reblued
the proof marks on the rear sight base would be from "Berlin-Lübecker Maschinenfabrik Lübeck" from 1936-1938 and "Mauser Werke A.G.Berlin-Borsigwalde"
from 1939-1940.
assuming the sight base is original to the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:35:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a Mitchell's Mauser is it?
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm fairly new to Mausers too, but I would say it is defiantly refinished seeing as all the receiver markings have been scrubbed and the whole rifle reblued
the proof marks on the rear sight base would be from "Berlin-Lübecker Maschinenfabrik Lübeck" from 1936-1938 and "Mauser Werke A.G.Berlin-Borsigwalde"
from 1939-1940.
assuming the sight base is original to the rifle.
View Quote
The Rifle Isn't blued, it's phosphated, and looks to be original...and I am not sure if it's been scrubbed, it looks like it may have never been roll marked...

I would post it over at www.k98kforum.com it is a very interesting rifle...could be a late war put together from previously rejected parts...but no depot marks as you might expect...

I wouldn't be quick to write it off, post it there, and find out...the best minds in the 98k world are there...
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Phosphate....yes.  
Uniform phosphate on all the parts...no..it has been refinished. By who?  That is the question.

No firing proof or depo markings.....scrubbed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, everyone.  I'll definitely check out k98kforum...that's a resource I wasn't aware of.  For me, this is the fun part of C&R.  Each firearm is a history lesson!

I'll post here with any additional information I find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top