Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2017 7:33:07 PM EDT
Picked up a type 2 arisaka today and can't figure out how to take it apart into the two halves. I can turn the takedown screw maybe a quarter turn counter clockwise. Don't feel like that should be enough but also don't want to break anything. I know I'm breaking a cardinal rule by not posting pictures, so I apologize in advance. Any pointers to help me not ruin my day?

Edit: I finally got it. Just really stiff from who knows how many years of not being taken apart. Just required a bit of force and a little oil.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#1]
The takedown bolt should unscrew completely (3 or 4 thread turns) using the D-ring on it and pull out most of the way (captive bolt). Then the two parts should pull apart.

Nothing should have to be 'forced' to come apart.

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:25:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your insight, I'm not as familiar with Japanese rifles as I'd like. In hindsight force might not have been the proper word for me to use, once I gave the oil a chance to soak in it turned quite nicely. It comes apart quite smoothly now. When the rifle is apart I can turn the takedown bolt about 3 revolutions to where it is almost snug against the frame, but assembled I'm only getting about 2 revolutions until its snug, and have maybe 2 lines of thread showing. Everything's locked up tight and there is no play however.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:04:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for your insight, I'm not as familiar with Japanese rifles as I'd like. In hindsight force might not have been the proper word for me to use, once I gave the oil a chance to soak in it turned quite nicely. It comes apart quite smoothly now. When the rifle is apart I can turn the takedown bolt about 3 revolutions to where it is almost snug against the frame, but assembled I'm only getting about 2 revolutions until its snug, and have maybe 2 lines of thread showing. Everything's locked up tight and there is no play however.
View Quote
Some thread showing when tightened down is normal. It's to allow for eventual wear.

As the wedge wears (doubt you'll ever put enough rounds to do so as were talking thousands of rounds), you'll be able to snug it to keep the wedge tight.

Tighten with the D-ring until snug, no need to over-tighten it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top