Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2017 8:41:29 PM EDT
So I just fill this out... print and mail?

I heard someone mention a fingerprint requirement now that 41F is here. That true???
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
don't believe you do prints...but i got my C&R a few years ago...and you submit a copy to your cleo
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't send it in.  You think it will open up this world of cheap milsurps to you for shipping directly to your door at the low price of $30.  You would be wrong...Very wrong.  

I believe you also have to inform your CLEO in writing that you will be obtaining a FFL 03.  At least I had to in my area.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#3]
You must also give a copy to your local law enforcement official. No fingerprints are required. Just got mine a few months ago.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
For a C&R, you do not need to fill out and send in the fingerprint card.

I think the confusion is that it's the same form for both 01 (regular FFL), and 03 (C&R).  For a 01, you probably need the prints.

The notice to the CLEO can just be a business letter mailed in, to which you'll never get a response from, which is fine.

As to if you want to get it - I would.  I've had mine for about 4 years, so I did the renewal last year.  Supply was better when I first got it, with Mosins going for 130 bucks and such.  I've picked up some nice things with it - couple of Mosins, a Finn M39, a Tokarev, and a Nagnant revolver.  

There are still some nice guns out there - thought you'll have to look at Gunbroker or such for most of them now, as the importers arn't importing many items in now.  

It pays for itself with 2 buys compared to going through a dealer, with the guns being sent right to your door, which is very cool.

Get it, then pick up a Tokarev and blast away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the confusion is that it's the same form for both 01 (regular FFL), and 03 (C&R).
View Quote
Huh? 03 has its own form.
03 application
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, maybe it's the renewal form that is used for both.  My memory is that the renewal form was more confusing than the orginal fill out form.

And if 01 and 03 FFL's forms are always different, why do they ask about fingerprint and owners and such on the renewal form, when you don't need prints for a 03, and you can't run a shop with an 03?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Fill out both copies of the application.

Send one copy to the ATF with a $30 check and the citizenship form.

Send one copy to your local CLEO with a cover letter.

Wait 6-8 weeks for your license to arrive.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's the text from my most recent CLEO notification cover letter. Feel free to plagiarize as needed. I think I got most of it from the old C&R mailing list some time last century.

Sheriff Xxxxxxx,

I am applying to the Bureau of Alcohol,Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) for a renewal to my Type 03 (Collector of Curios and Relics) Federal Firearms License.

As per Section 923(d)(1)(F)(iii), Title 18, U.S.C., I have enclosed a signed copy of ATF Form 8 (5310.11, Application for Renewal of Federal Firearms License) to notify you of this action.

Further please note that a C&R FFL is not a regular dealer FFL and will not allow me to operate as a dealer. It is simply for private collecting of certain firearms defined as curios or relics by the BATF.

This form requires no action on your part, but  feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Regards,
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Aww well I must have messed that up.

Didn't send my CLEO notification with a cover letter.
And I also didn't fill out whatever that citizenship form is. I didn't see any instructions to do so!
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I didn't send a cover letter either.  They don't say you have to, so whatever.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]
is the cleo your local chief of police or do you have to go to your county sheriff?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:26:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I live in town so l sent mine to the chief of police.  

He's new to town so l included a welcoming sentiment to start of the letter then added the rest.  Pointing out the part of the form stating l had to notify him and that no action was required on his part.  

A few days later l got a nice email from him thanking me for the kind words and saying he would keep my notice on file.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top