Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2017 10:27:03 AM EDT
Good Morning,

I have a Maltby produced Enfield No 4 Mk1 that I purchased that is in a fajen laminated walnut stock.  I have been hesitant to replace to stock up until this point because it shoots so well but the M1 has taken over majority of my milsurp fun.

I have found some new production wood from Springfield Sporters and another set from Liberty Tree Collectors.  How close are these options to what this rifle would have originally have?  It is dated 1943 if my memory is correct.  Is there any real way to find close to the original stock and the wood match or am I close enough buying one of these new beech wood kits as well as the sight cover and barrel bands/sling mounts etc to restore this old rifle to its original likeness?

Liberty tree $150 - Beech Wood
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3594&idcategory=63

Springfield Sporters $130 - Beech Wood
https://www.ssporters.com/product-p/2004-75.htm
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
They'll work fine.

Bear in mind that NOS Enfield wood is rather oversize and you WILL need to do a fair amount of sanding to fit it to your rifle. It's not a drop-in thing by any stretch of the imagination.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They'll work fine.

Bear in mind that NOS Enfield wood is rather oversize and you WILL need to do a fair amount of sanding to fit it to your rifle. It's not a drop-in thing by any stretch of the imagination.
View Quote
Thanks for the response!
NOS being New Old Stock?  So that would imply this is "correct" wood just not "original" or "surplus" wood?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks for the response!
NOS being New Old Stock?  So that would imply this is "correct" wood just not "original" or "surplus" wood?
View Quote
It's the correct type of wood, yes. There's not really any way to tell whether it was made for Maltby, or made in England, or anything like that. It is, however, the correct pattern, and of an acceptable wood (beech).
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's the correct type of wood, yes. There's not really any way to tell whether it was made for Maltby, or made in England, or anything like that. It is, however, the correct pattern, and of an acceptable wood (beech).
View Quote
Would this be a project I can do as an amateur or are these particularly difficult to fit?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not difficult, no, just time-consuming.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's not difficult, no, just time-consuming.
View Quote
Thanks for the input.

I ordered The 2012 Complete Book on Lee Enfield Accurizing B&W, by Roger Wadham

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1471603113?tag=vglnk-c102-20

From Amazon, hopefully it will help me in the process.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Post "before" and "after" pics...

- AG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top