Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 6:27:04 PM EDT
My LGS has this 03-A3 action, apparently the receiver has been cut on the breech end, three gunsmiths told them that it's too far back to ever be usable again. I pressed them on it a bit and it went home with me for a good price, I figured it's worth that much for parts and took the gamble.

I guess I have three options here:

#1. Attempt to have another smith fix it, which is unlikely.
#2. Find a shot out or pitted barrel, weld up the chamber and make a neat display
#3. Try to have it converted to a 22lr like the Brits did with the No1 MkIII, or maybe some other cartridge.

Number two could obviously be done, but the other two would be preferable.

Basically Im wondering if either are feasible, and if I made a good buy or it was a complete waste.

Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Or get the remaining trigger parts, sight, etc,, put it together and use it is a nice display of the 1903A3 action...

That's what I would do...
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or get the remaining trigger parts, sight, etc,, put it together and use it is a nice display of the 1903A3 action...

That's what I would do...
View Quote
That would be cheaper, but then I can't "play" with it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure you can, in fact you can play with it more...you can manipulate the bolt, and see the interaction of the bolt and sear, you can pull the trigger, and see how that works...

If you have an old copy of Bolt Action Rifles, I can't remember the author I can find out when I head upstairs...but he had a collection of unbarreled actions for just that reason, out of the stock, and without the barrel, you can study the interaction of the parts and the complexity of the design in a way you cannot with a while rifle...

Just my thought...I have a stripped unbarreled 98k action sitting on my desk...I can really appreciate the complexity of the bare receiver...
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sure you can, in fact you can play with it more...you can manipulate the bolt, and see the interaction of the bolt and sear, you can pull the trigger, and see how that works...

If you have an old copy of Bolt Action Rifles, I can't remember the author I can find out when I head upstairs...but he had a collection of unbarreled actions for just that reason, out of the stock, and without the barrel, you can study the interaction of the parts and the complexity of the design in a way you cannot with a while rifle...

Just my thought...I have a stripped unbarreled 98k action sitting on my desk...I can really appreciate the complexity of the bare receiver...
View Quote
That is a pretty fair point, if it ends up not working out, I think I'd be happy with that.

ETA: That type 99 Arsiaka will be heading my way tomorrow. Hopefully there will be a thread this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That is a pretty fair point, if it ends up not working out, I think I'd be happy with that.

ETA: That type 99 Arsiaka will be heading my way tomorrow. Hopefully there will be a thread this weekend.
View Quote
Awesome, looking forward to seeing it!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:05:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Forgive my ignorance but where has it been cut? I've tried to compare it to other pictures on the web and can't see it.
Someone please point out what is wrong with this action.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance but where has it been cut? I've tried to compare it to other pictures on the web and can't see it.
Someone please point out what is wrong with this action.
Thanks
View Quote
Just about everyone has said the same thing.

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#8]
This looks like it came from a reclaimed drill-purpose rifle. A lot of these receivers hit the market in the last 2- 3 years.

The drill rifles had plugged barrels tack-welded to the front of the receiver (on the bottom), and magazine cutoffs welded in position so as to prevent the removal of the bolt.

The reclamation process involved grinding off these welds, and reparkerizing.

Look closely around the magazine cutoff area, and see if you can find grind marks. That should be the giveaway.

To remove the barrel-receiver weld, it looks like they faced off the front of the receiver ring in a lathe, and may have removed too much material (prior to reparkerizing).

This would prevent proper headspacing of a new barrel.

The good news is that a gunsmith (or machinist) can make a custom shim (like a large, thin washer) that would be sandwiched between the receiver and the barrel and restore the proper dimensions. This would be a fairly simple, straightforward job.

There is certainly hope to make a shooting gun out of this. The collector value, however, is questionable.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This looks like it came from a reclaimed drill-purpose rifle. A lot of these receivers hit the market in the last 2- 3 years.

The drill rifles had plugged barrels tack-welded to the front of the receiver (on the bottom), and magazine cutoffs welded in position so as to prevent the removal of the bolt.

Look closely around the magazine cutoff area, and see if you can find grind marks. That should be the giveaway.

To remove the barrel-receiver weld, it looks like they faced off the front of the receiver ring in a lathe, and may have removed too much material (prior to reparkerizing).

The good news is that a gunsmith (or machinist) can make a custom shim (like a large, thin washer) that would be sandwiched between the receiver and the barrel and restore the proper dimensions. This would be a fairly simple, straightforward job.

There is certainly hope to make a shooting gun out of this. The collector value, however, is questionable.
View Quote
If I can make a shooter out of it, I would be very happy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I thought it looked like it had plenty of thread left....
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
That may be, and I am no gunsmith, but I believe if the cut back the front face of the receiver at all, the shoulder of the barrel may not but up against the receiver tight, which would allow the force of firing to be concentrated on the threads, and not spread between the treads and the barrel/receiver mating...

Plus it also needs to be perfectly true....so some more may need to be machined off to true it up...
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That may be, and I am no gunsmith, but I believe if the cut back the front face of the receiver at all, the shoulder of the barrel may not but up against the receiver tight, which would allow the force of firing to be concentrated on the threads, and not spread between the treads and the barrel/receiver mating...

Plus it also needs to be perfectly true....so some more may need to be machined off to true it up...
View Quote
I can tell with my eye that it isn't perfectly true. It isn't bad, but a little will have to be removed.

I got the contact info of a smith that does custom builds and I'm hoping it can be made to work, wether that be with a shim or whatever need be. As long as it looks right when assembled and safely functions, I wouldn't care. I probably won't be able to contact him until Friday due to work, but I'm hopeful.

It was always a gamble.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Drill rifles were welded with stainless rod which won't take park, this doesn't look like a drill rifle receiver.  <ETA> I do recall Gibbs, JRA, and AIM have sold reclaimed drill rifles and those had no visible stainless weld, but rather a HAZ which was visible through the park.

OP if you want a drill rifle barrel I can send one your way in a few months.  Just pay the shipping.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Drill rifles were welded with stainless rod which won't take park, this doesn't look like a drill rifle receiver.  <ETA> I do recall Gibbs, JRA, and AIM have sold reclaimed drill rifles and those had no visible stainless weld, but rather a HAZ which was visible through the park.

OP if you want a drill rifle barrel I can send one your way in a few months.  Just pay the shipping.  
View Quote
That would be awesome, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I spoke to the Gunsmith yesterday and sent him some pics, he said that shims have no place on a rifle and prettybmuch told me that it's either good or it's not, not much that can be done without spending a lot of money.

It's looking like it going to be remade into a drill rifle if he can't work some magic.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I spoke to the Gunsmith yesterday and sent him some pics, he said that shims have no place on a rifle and prettybmuch told me that it's either good or it's not, not much that can be done without spending a lot of money.

It's looking like it going to be remade into a drill rifle if he can't work some magic.
View Quote
Huh.  Somebody better tell the Brits that all their L1A1 SLR (FAL) were messed up with breeching washers.  

Granted I wouldn't set out to mess a smith corona up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#17]
de-day wrote:

View Quote
It does. A barrel can be installed, but (after truing the front of the receiver so that it would be a tight fit, and so the sights would line up), the barrel would be set back too far and would have to be rechambered. My solution of a shim between the barrel and receiver would be more practical.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Sputnik556 wrote:

I spoke to the Gunsmith yesterday and sent him some pics, he said that shims have no place on a rifle and pretty much told me that it's either good or it's not, not much that can be done without spending a lot of money.
View Quote
Better find another gunsmith. I have WW2 manuals that show the use of shims as a last resort when installing loose barrels. In fact, I once owned an original BAR that had been done that way.

It appears that your gunsmith just doesn't want to be bothered doing something a bit out of the ordinary.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Shim it or get a barrel blank cut with a longer shoulder to make up the difference.

Shouldn't be rocket surgery to a good gunsmith or machinist.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Do you guys have suggestions for another smith?

I intend to use a criterion barrel, so the front sight will have to be mounted anyway.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Shim it or get a barrel blank cut with a longer shoulder to make up the difference.

Shouldn't be rocket surgery to a good gunsmith or machinist.
View Quote
agreed... do you have a friend with a lathe?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

agreed... do you have a friend with a lathe?
View Quote
Unfortunately not, and it seems nobody locally wants to mess with it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#23]
That can be saved.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Try Chuck Moline "chuckindenver" over at the CMP forum.  Warpath vintage llc.  He is an expert on smithing the 1903.  He would be able to tell you for sure if something could be done.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Try Chuck Moline "chuckindenver" over at the CMP forum.  Warpath vintage llc.  He is an expert on smithing the 1903.  He would be able to tell you for sure if something could be done.
View Quote
Yeah, he would be a great choice....
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Sputnik556 wrote:

I intend to use a criterion barrel, so the front sight will have to be mounted anyway.
View Quote
You can find original 03A3 barrels in excellent condition (some brand new in cosmoline, with sight already installed) on ebay. They run about $200, as I recall. If it was mine, I would try to restore it to military configuration. The shim method would involve the least changes possible, and if done right, would be difficult to spot. (The shim would be hidden under the handguard and its retainer, for one thing.)
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, he would be a great choice....
View Quote
I just did so and although it is fixable, it is a lot more work than it would be worth in order to properly index the barrel. I'm going to try to gather up the rest of the parts and make a wall hanger, if the cost is too high, it will sit at my desk.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I just did so and although it is fixable, it is a lot more work than it would be worth in order to properly index the barrel. I'm going to try to gather up the rest of the parts and make a wall hanger, if the cost is too high, it will sit at my desk.
View Quote
Out of curiousity what did he say would have to be done? And at what cost?

And again, if you decide you don't want it, PM me....
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Out of curiousity what did he say would have to be done? And at what cost?

And again, if you decide you don't want it, PM me....
View Quote
Basically that I would have to contact the barrel manufacturer and see if they would make a custom barrel with a longer shoulder,  he said they did at one time and charged an extra $50. The shoulder would then have to be cut to match up with the action so that the barrel could be indexed.

He didn't talk about overall prices of having all of the work done, but it sounds very involved and I took it not to be worth it. He also suggested to move on.

ETA: I sent you a message.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I would build a sweet 22 out of it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would build a sweet 22 out of it.
View Quote
I brought that up, it would cost more than the 30-06 and the issue of barrel indexing would still be there.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#32]
It was definitely one of the drill rifles at one time.

Has all the signs of welding on the bottom of the receiver ring, the center 'bolt removal' notch for the magazine cutoff on the receiver is missing due to welding in this area, and finish on magazine cutoff is different too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who exactly is this so called "gunsmith"?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Who exactly is this so called "gunsmith"?
View Quote
Master gunsmith of over 25 years apparently.

I won't post his name.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#35]
You going to have a hard time finding any gun smiths that will work on it because of the liability if it were to fail, that is also assuming you don't manage more in labor then a new receiver would cost. And it would be a headache, I would do it if it was my personal project, but I wouldn't want to do it for someone. However, I am just a machinist, not a gun smith but from my stand point as long as it is not excessively short I don't see any reason you couldn't face off the end to make it flat and put a custom spacer on it to correct the barrel indexing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#36]
You could build a sporter out of it and use a barrel nut like savage, there are plenty of threads left in the receiver, in fact I saw where a gunsmith made a switch barrel  rifle on a mauser doing just that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You could build a sporter out of it and use a barrel nut like savage, there are plenty of threads left in the receiver, in fact I saw where a gunsmith made a switch barrel  rifle on a mauser doing just that.
View Quote
I like this suggestion.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a shot out barrel.  If you are interested let me know by IM.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#39]
PiGood made a good suggestion and I have shimmed other rifles myself, as he points out I wouldn't do this for anyone else for liability reasons. If a smith or machinist does it will probably cost more than what it's worth. You could probably sell it on GB with the acknowledged defect and that money used to buy a non-buggered up receiver. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top