Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 9:03:28 PM EDT
I found a rifle I want to buy on Armslist and unfortunately it is in another state. I have read a number of horror stories about people getting scammed, so I am wary of just sending a money order to some stranger. I have a C&R license, but would asking the seller to go through an FFL on his end offer any sort of protection for me? I asked for additional pictures of the rifle and the seller e-mailed me some more photos. I did a reverse image search of his photos and they didn't pop up on google so I'm pretty sure he actually has the rifle in question. Any other steps I can take to protect myself? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You might look into an escrow service.

I nearly got scammed on a 1911 ... my money order was out for delivery and some how I managed to get a hold of someone in the delivering PO and got the delivery stopped.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you pay through PayPal? That way if he takes the money and runs you have a way to fight to get your money back.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you pay through PayPal? That way if he takes the money and runs you have a way to fight to get your money back.
View Quote
Not on a firearm transaction.  I believe Paypal bans all firearms related transactions and will tell you to pound sand if they find out the disputed transaction is related to guns.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:15:53 PM EDT
[#4]
For starters listen to your gut. It may be the one firearm you have always wanted, but if the price is too good to be true, or the ad seems fishy, or the photo looks stock, take a minute to evaluate. Trust your instincts.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure this is a scam now. Here is the ad in question: https://www.armslist.com/posts/6604776/connecticut-rifles-for-sale---rifle-is-not-import-marked
Between the low price, the sellers refusal to go through an FFL, and his poor grammer in our e-mail conversations I'd be very wary of sending any kind of payment. Might be worth it for a FTF sale if anyone lives in Connecticut, but too great risk for me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]
It certainly has many of the hallmarks of an Armslist scam.  

Price too good to be true?  Check.
Vague location in ad?  Check.
Poor grammar and spelling in emails (or grammar/spelling level that's inconsistent with what was used in the ad itself)?  Check.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Accepted USPS money order or Bank Deposit.
and only wants $1,100?

It's a scam.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Very scammy

If you can't do an Armslist transaction through a FTF then don't do it at all
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Meet face to face. Or don't buy. That is the only option on Armslist.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
State listed twice in location = scam every single time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#11]
One thing to do is always ask for pictures of specific areas of the gun.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:59:33 AM EDT
[#12]
My ONLY Armslist purchase was a $2500.00 semi-1919a6.  I was VERY scared about doing such a large purchase half way across the country.  The end result was a great experience, and the process was the only way I would do it ever again (regardless of cost);
Actual voice communication to set conditions of deal, with exchanged email verifying set conditions.
(Transaction must go from FFL to FFL)
(Purchaser would add cost of sellers FFL to purchase)
(Seller would have item at his FFL ready to ship by a specific date/time)
(Purchaser has payment ready to send [to sellers FFL] in sealed envelope at his FFL by the same date/time)
(Purchaser FFL contacts seller FFL to verify items ready to ship both ways)
(Seller FFL holds received payment and Purchaser FFL holds received gun until both have been received and confirmed by FFLs)
(Seller picks up his payment, purchaser picks up his gun from their FFLs)
Transaction complete and witnessed!
P.S.  I added a separate envelope, addressed to the sellers FFL, included with the payment that contained an additional $10 tip to him for the extra work in this transaction. I also tipped my FFL an extra $10 as well, both FFLs thanked me and said they would be happy to do repeat business anytime.  I think the extra $70 ($25 FFL fee each and $20 tip) on this purchase was the best insurance you could find.

Just my $0.02, hope anyone has as easy transaction as I had.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Very scammy

If you can't do an Armslist transaction through a FTF then don't do it at all
View Quote
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:
State listed twice in location = scam every single time.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:21:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is how to categorize all Armslist listings:

Q: Is it a firearm listed on Armslist?
A: It's a scam
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
this is my rule 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top