Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 5:17:20 PM EDT
I'm looking for a little advice and direction. I have a VZ24 marked BRNO 1940 that I bought over a decade ago for dirt cheap - it was my first rifle because I could only afford dirt cheap. It is in decent shape with a lot of gouges/scrapes in the stock and the top handguard is cracked/broken. It is currently in pieces in my safe because I wanted to try to spruce up the stock a bit and didn't know the extent of damage to the handguard until I took it all apart. I am assuming that it isn't very collectible because my understanding is that a lot of these were produced and since it isn't a K98, it isn't as desirable. I'm thinking about getting a replacement stock and putting a scope on it in order to use it this fall for hunting on Camp Pendleton, CA. Is there a way I can do this without permanently altering the rifle? Does it really matter if it is permanently altered (i.e. no real value anyways). I would hate to mess up a piece of history but maybe this isn't all that historical? Should I just buy a new handguard and refinish the stock kind of like originally planned and leave this rifle as close to original as possible while looking for an alternate for hunting? Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about Mausers, but there are various "scout" mounts out there for Mosins which simply take the place of the rear sight.  No permanent changes required.

If you are going to hunt, find a sporter stock.  I wouldn't mess with the one you have.  Just set it aside.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know about Mausers, but there are various "scout" mounts out there for Mosins which simply take the place of the rear sight.  No permanent changes required.

If you are going to hunt, find a sporter stock.  I wouldn't mess with the one you have.  Just set it aside.
View Quote

This is very intriguing. I think I would have to have a scope with a longer eye relief anyways due to the straight bolt handle so a mount where the rear sight goes might be a really good way to do that. If I end up using it for hunting I would prefer to get a cheapish fiberglass or synthetic molded stock.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe the VZ 24 rear sight is different than the 98-pattern rear, so be sure to specifically buy a mount for the VZ. I believe S&K still makes a mount.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I believe the VZ 24 rear sight is different than the 98-pattern rear, so be sure to specifically buy a mount for the VZ. I believe S&K still makes a mount.
View Quote

From looking into it this is what I've found. S&K sells the VZ24 mount for like $80. I'm leaning heavily towards this. Looking for a good but cheap (less than $200) stock. I only paid $200 for the rifle with a bunch of ammo so I don't want to spend that much for all the parts for this project.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a little advice and direction. I have a VZ24 marked BRNO 1940 that I bought over a decade ago for dirt cheap - it was my first rifle because I could only afford dirt cheap. It is in decent shape with a lot of gouges/scrapes in the stock and the top handguard is cracked/broken. It is currently in pieces in my safe because I wanted to try to spruce up the stock a bit and didn't know the extent of damage to the handguard until I took it all apart. I am assuming that it isn't very collectible because my understanding is that a lot of these were produced and since it isn't a K98, it isn't as desirable. I'm thinking about getting a replacement stock and putting a scope on it in order to use it this fall for hunting on Camp Pendleton, CA. Is there a way I can do this without permanently altering the rifle? Does it really matter if it is permanently altered (i.e. no real value anyways). I would hate to mess up a piece of history but maybe this isn't all that historical? Should I just buy a new handguard and refinish the stock kind of like originally planned and leave this rifle as close to original as possible while looking for an alternate for hunting? Thanks for any advice.
View Quote

Not sure why you think that, but vz24s are collectible. Compared to k98s, most WWII rifles would fall in the 'less collectible than that' category.

Personally, I wouldn't permanently alter it in any way,
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not sure why you think that, but vz24s are collectible. Compared to k98s, most WWII rifles would fall in the 'less collectible than that' category.

Personally, I wouldn't permanently alter it in any way,
View Quote

I've never heard anyone say "vz24s are not collectible" but from my (limited) experience, if it is a Mauser variant but isn't a k98, people aren't interested. That is honestly all that led me to the conclusion that vz24s aren't collectible or sought after - not surprised if I'm wrong! I don't want to do anything to it that I can't easily undo, mostly because I like history and don't want to mess up a piece of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top