Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 11:50:26 AM EDT
Thinking of making the trek to the CMP South store.

If I have a choice, which 03-A3 make is more desirable?

Also, what should I look for in these pieces?

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

BGF
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Not much difference really, I would just shoot for the best looking one with the best barrel.

I was there late Jan and picked up a nice Remington

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thinking of making the trek to the CMP South store.

If I have a choice, which 03-A3 make is more desirable?

Also, what should I look for in these pieces?

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

BGF
View Quote

O3A3s are few and far between, except for drill rifles at the CMP anymore. Most 03A3s are Remington, they developed the 03 production changes that became the 03A3. The Smith Coronas were a follow on contract to supplement the Remingtons, the SCs  have no additional collector value.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

O3A3s are few and far between, except for drill rifles at the CMP anymore. Most 03A3s are Remington, they developed the 03 production changes that became the 03A3. The Smith Coronas were a follow on contract to supplement the Remingtons, the SCs  have no additional collector value.
View Quote

Huh? Don't get that....a lot less Smith Corona's were made compared to Remingtons, and have always had a bit more cachet and value over an equivalent Remington anywhere I've looked...

YMMV, but speaking for myself, if I had the choice between a Remington and a Smith, all things being equal, I'd grab the Smith....
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Huh? Don't get that....a lot less Smith Corona's were made compared to Remingtons, and have always had a bit more cachet and value over an equivalent Remington anywhere I've looked...

YMMV, but speaking for myself, if I had the choice between a Remington and a Smith, all things being equal, I'd grab the Smith....
View Quote

I've been studying 03s for most of my life. I don't get why the SCs don't bring more money, I agree with you, less rifles should equal more money. Check the CSP 1903 forum, you'll see what I'm talking about. I bought an SC at a Houston Collectors show, there was no difference in price as compared with similar Remingtons.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've been studying 03s for most of my life. I don't get why the SCs don't bring more money, I agree with you, less rifles should equal more money. Check the CSP 1903 forum, you'll see what I'm talking about. I bought an SC at a Houston Collectors show, there was no difference in price as compared with similar Remingtons.
View Quote

Huh, I spent my life in the NE, and up there I can tell you the Smith's are always priced higher....haven't seen too many in the shows around Dallas, so I can't speak about down here...

I like the Smith's better than Remingtons, but then I like Rock Island's better than Springfields too....
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#6]
See this thread:
My day at the CMP
I'd disregard manufacturer and just look for one with John Beard's initials on the tag, like dnmccoy's rifle posted above.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:46:35 AM EDT
[#7]
It depends on who is selling it.  At most gun shows a S&C will usually be priced higher than a Remington.  Pawn shops or gun shops can go either way.  A nice S&C with a good 6 groove barrel will tend to bring a higher price for uniqueness.   A S&C with a S&C 2 groove barrel is the rarest of the A3s.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
See this thread:
My day at the CMP
I'd disregard manufacturer and just look for one with John Beard's initials on the tag, like dnmccoy's rifle posted above.
View Quote

Agreed. John is a great guy and knows his M1903s!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#9]
That's the plan. Going to look for one of John's pieces.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:07:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I am considering one more trip to the CMP south store as well. I was confused as to if Garands are available for mail order anymore. The website says OOS on all the field/service grades except snipers. Then I read store reports of Garands on the racks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a SC a3 with a 2 groove barrel from CMP , back in the day . I shot her this weekend with my 16  son. Took a Springer 1903 from 1931  with us as well as a 1939 K 98 and a yugo M48A . Put a lot of rounds down range through them great old rifles. When I received my SC 2 groove , I thought the barrel was screwed up . I learned later it was good to go. Cost saving is what I read. It is accurate .I received a Winchester Garand  Lead dipped also from them years ago . All my CMP rifles was luck of the draw. I didn't request any of them personally . Just ordered and it's what showed up . Wardawg
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Are the 03s in stock at the south store?  I've been wanting one for a while, but always said unavailable on the cmp's site.  I'd run down and get one this weekend, but don't want to drive 4hrs one way if they don't.  Also, any idea on pricing if they are available?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#13]
TAG for price and availability.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I think they are gone. Read that in the CMP forums. They were $650. I picked one up in January at the north store. Great rifle.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

All things being equal (and ignoring that the SC rifles performed well) I'll take a rifle made by a established gun maker over a type-writer manufacturer aleverytime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top