Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2017 9:48:16 PM EDT
A friend's dad died last year and he is disposing of the firearms he either doesn't want or need. He's got a Md 96 that he's willing to part with for about $300. Bore is excellent, looks new, wood excellent, finish totally unscathed. Does anyone have experience with them? I need one more caliber rifle like I need another hole in the head but this looks too good to pass up. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Typically awesome shooting rifles, the 6.5 Swede is a fantastic cartridge...

Price is good for a nice one...I'd jump in it, they are neat rifles...check the date, post some pics, I can try an help you out with what you have....

Here is a good site...

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/rifles_se/rifles_se.htm#1896

And another excellent one....

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/index.html
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Typically awesome shooting rifles, the 6.5 Swede is a fantastic cartridge...

Price is good for a nice one...I'd jump in it, they are neat rifles...check the date, post some pics, I can try an help you out with what you have....

Here is a good site...

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/rifles_se/rifles_se.htm#1896

And another excellent one....

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/index.html
View Quote
Thanks for the sites.......
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this the long 96 Infantry rifle, or the shorter 96/38 Carbine?

Either way for that money jump on it.

They are pleasant shooting, accurate, and very well built rifles.
Personally I think that they are over all the best of all the Mauser type military rifles.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Has to be a model 38, only model husqvarna made.  From 41 to 44.  The later the date, the more rare, and more money.
View Quote

Sorry, Husqvarna made quite a few thousand M96s during the war for marksmanship training. Had one dated 1942.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
96/38 carbine, turned down bolt. great wood, fantastic bore, after reading up on the ratings on the disk I'll have to examine the disk closer.  Serial # says it was produced about '42. Yeah I'm going to purchase it
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#8]
A `42 is a Husky, so prob not a cutdown 96. May have an ep`d number on bolt and should have the Husky tilted crown proofs. Matching numbers is better, but $300 is good for one in nice shape. May have a threaded barrel too. Some aftermarket thread protectors look like part of the barrel.

ETA... don't read too much into what the stock disk says, they have been known to be swapped around a good bit by people. Bores are usually always good. Swede`s seemed to take care of their stuff, plus no corrosive ammo was ever manufactured.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A `42 is a Husky, so prob not a cutdown 96. May have an ep`d number on bolt and should have the Husky tilted crown proofs. Matching numbers is better, but $300 is good for one in nice shape. May have a threaded barrel too. Some aftermarket thread protectors look like part of the barrel.

ETA... don't read too much into what the stock disk says, they have been known to be swapped around a good bit by people. Bores are usually always good. Swede`s seemed to take care of their stuff, plus no corrosive ammo was ever manufactured.
View Quote

Yeah, even if the stock disk is correct for the barrel the Swedes were extremely picky as far as bore condition. Even a 3 marked disk that is almost ready for replacement per their standards will still be a fine shooter, and will also still look good to the naked eye.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top