Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2017 4:12:16 PM EDT
I'm interested in getting one. Anything I should know?
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Basicly a .308 Lee Endfield

What's not to love?
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I received a 2A as payment for some work completed several years ago.

Rifle works fine, but kicks like a mule (62 year old shoulders).

My understanding is Ishapore used old stocks, even though the steel was all new.

My only gripe about the rifle is how ugly it looks.

Used to be, if you bought a couple of battle packs from Aim, you got a free Ishapore.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I received a 2A as payment for some work completed several years ago.

Rifle works fine, but kicks like a mule (62 year old shoulders).

My understanding is Ishapore used old stocks, even though the steel was all new.

My only gripe about the rifle is how ugly it looks.

Used to be, if you bought a couple of battle packs from Aim, you got a free Ishapore.
View Quote

FrenchKat !!! How have you been?
I'm the guy you got the A2 from LOL
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#4]
And how is this ugly ?

Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it a removable mag or is it stripper fed?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:56:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is it a removable mag or is it stripper fed?
View Quote

Yes and yes.  But they were only issued with 1 magazine and are meant to be loaded with clips.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:25:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe only the Long Lee Metfords were issued w/ 2 magazines; one was chained to the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 3:19:42 AM EDT
[#8]
They look a lot better with the stove paint stripped off.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And how is this ugly ?
View Quote

Man, I just hate bad looking wood!

I've looked and looked, just can't find new wood.  Thought I got a set of furniture I could redo, but the stock ended up being cracked.

Tr6r, how the hell are you man, where the hell are you?  I do enjoy the rifle, I take it out with the FALs and BM59s and let it kick my ass!  Those old Tommies have my respect!

MathewMacClain:

As to the mag question, I got a couple of Sarco replacements.  I had to adjust the lips slightly before they would work reliably.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked one up in trade myself today. Great rifle for the money, haven't had a chance to take it apart for a good thorough cleaning.

Debating myself on whether to strip the paint or leave it. Just going to clean up my wood slightly and look for cracks
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#11]
What source do you recommend picking one up from?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up one locally off Armslist, but I had searched GunBroker and they were running anywhere from $300-400 depending on condition.

The ones I had seen locally here in NC  were around the $350-$400 mark, not including tax.

I lucked out on the one I found on Armslist, the guy was looking for an AR and was willing to add cash. I was trying to downsize my AR collection and have been wanting an Ishapore Enfield for quite some time.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Man, I just hate bad looking wood!

I've looked and looked, just can't find new wood.  Thought I got a set of furniture I could redo, but the stock ended up being cracked.

Tr6r, how the hell are you man, where the hell are you?  I do enjoy the rifle, I take it out with the FALs and BM59s and let it kick my ass!  Those old Tommies have my respect!

MathewMacClain:

As to the mag question, I got a couple of Sarco replacements.  I had to adjust the lips slightly before they would work reliably.
View Quote

I'm near 8st & the turnpike.... sorry to hear about the cracked stock,,, Can it be repaired?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe.  You can get new stocks for a lot of stuff.  New plastic or wood furniture for the FALs.  Just put a new stock on my BM59E, I was able to get new wood for the Type 2 .308 Garand.  Not to mention new plastic for the ARs.  You just can't find a complete new wood for a Type 1, Mark III Enfield.

I'd be happy to take suggestions from anyone here that might know a source that not real expensive.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maybe.  You can get new stocks for a lot of stuff.  New plastic or wood furniture for the FALs.  Just put a new stock on my BM59E, I was able to get new wood for the Type 2 .308 Garand.  Not to mention new plastic for the ARs.  You just can't find a complete new wood for a Type 1, Mark III Enfield.

I'd be happy to take suggestions from anyone here that might know a source that not real expensive.
View Quote

Did you do a BM59E build?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I got my 1st one (BM59E) from the Garand Guy as a complete rifle.  Then I started collecting parts for another one (this was before all the kits hit the market). Sent the Garand Guy one of the Standard Parts builder barrel to have mounted on one of his receivers.  I did the rest.  That one actually ended up more in the BM69 configuration.

When the kits hit the market, I got one from Centerfire (2 mags), one of the Sarco repo barrels and got in on the JRA receiver pre-order.  Just got the receiver last week, but haven't had a chance to build the rifle yet.

It was lots easier going the kit route then watching and waiting for parts to show up, cheaper too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#17]
The 2A1 has a stronger action.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine was a decent shooter with surplus ammo . Kicks firmly . They are kind of ugly . I got rid of it years ago because it did not seem to fit my collection ,. The guy who bought it was burglarized and it was stolen. No idea whether he got it back or anything else .
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The 2A1 has a stronger action.
View Quote

What are you  basing  this statement on ?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Supposedly the 2a1 were later production, and therefor had better metallurgy and production practices than the typical smle, or so I've read.
Different methods of heat treating, if not the later higher nickel content?
Still used by the Indian royal guard iirc?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Same rifle, 2A used the Enfield 2000 yard sights and the 2A1 had sights graduated to 800.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I like mine, but it will need a little work before it feeds from the magazine properly. On the second to last round, the bolt skips over the base of the round. Probably just a quirk of mine. Overall, I love the Lee Enfield action. 308 just makes it even better.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I got a 2A recently. I paid too much for it at $650 plus taxes/fees, but it was in great condition. It has a perfect 43-marked stock in it.

I did have to put an old-style windage adjustable rear sight on it since the front sight was off-center and the staked metal wouldn't give up to my sight pusher. It's a fun gun. I even managed to get a cheap Indian bayonet for it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:11:23 AM EDT
[#24]
WOW on prices. I remember passing on them at $80 after seeing that black paint.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I got a 2A recently. I paid too much for it at $650 plus taxes/fees, but it was in great condition. It has a perfect 43-marked stock in it.

I did have to put an old-style windage adjustable rear sight on it since the front sight was off-center and the staked metal wouldn't give up to my sight pusher. It's a fun gun. I even managed to get a cheap Indian bayonet for it.
View Quote
Yikes. I paid two bills for mine about 4 months ago. It's certainly not in perfect shape, but I don't think I would pay $650 for one even in flawless condition.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top