Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2016 7:01:41 PM EDT
Bought a numbers matching non import marked last ditch arisaka type 99 for $200 out the door. Bluing and wood are really nice. I love the history especially being a Marine. I think it was a fair price? I see them on gunbroker but prices are all over the place. Thoughts on my purchase?

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Bought a numbers matching non import marked last ditch arisaka type 99 for $200 out the door. Bluing and wood are really nice. I love the history especially being a Marine. I think it was a fair price? I see them on gunbroker but prices are all over the place. Thoughts on my purchase?
View Quote

Matching? Great deal!

Does it have the mum?

Matching with a ground mum, it's $300 and up...

Mummed and matching it's probably in the $400 plus range...

Like 98k's some guys specialize in the late war "last ditch" guns...

Also would be dependent on maker and series...

But $200 is a very good price...

ETA...what part of NY? I can hook you up with a guy you can get Jap parts, bayonets, flags...the 99's look awesome with a bayonet with a small flag attached...
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait I'm confused.
Last ditch type 99 with good wood and blueing?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought last ditch 99's were parked but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The ones I've seen usually had no finish or parkerizing. The stocks weren't tongue and grooved at the junction and they had a very rough finish.
Most type 99s were built in the 40-42 period when Japan wasbasicly unopposed and winning in the pacific and are very well built guns. Calling them last ditch guns is way off the mark. To confuse things more the drill rifles are sometimes called last ditch rifles even though they weren't designed to be fired anymore than a M16 rubber duck was.

Also OP needs to post up some pics. This thread deserves pics.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The ones I've seen usually had no finish or parkerizing. The stocks weren't tongue and grooved at the junction and they had a very rough finish.
Most type 99s were built in the 40-42 period when Japan wasbasicly unopposed and winning in the pacific and are very well built guns. Calling them last ditch guns is way off the mark. To confuse things more the drill rifles are sometimes called last ditch rifles even though they weren't designed to be fired anymore than a M16 rubber duck was.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will post pics soon- within the next day or two.
To clarify condition, it looks blued and bluing looks pretty good. The bolt is correct for a "last ditch" and the stock is rough- you can see either file marks or some other type of tool marks and is crude with a wood butt plate but overall looks pretty good. It certainly looks a 1000x better than let's say a Chinese M53 stock, but to be fair my dogs favorite chew toy looks better than one too. I'll def post pics. The metal and stock defenately doesn't look refinished although I'm no expert but I've been collecting for some time. I guess the pics will tell all
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wait I'm confused.
Last ditch type 99 with good wood and blueing?
View Quote

I've had several over the years but the example I kept (matching Nagoya series 11)  is everything you would expect from a late war Type 99.

It is gloriously rough as a cob. I swear the stock looks like it was carved out with a dull draw knife, wood rasp, and a whittling knife and may very well have been! It still has the original Urushi finish.

LOL....The barrel exterior could be used as a rat-tail file what with the deep tooling marks.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Just added pics in original post. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]
http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html
Quoted:
Just added pics in original post. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
View Quote

It's a late war gun. Probably very late. Does it have any date codes on it?  They'll be in Japanese. This page might help with dating it and give you the arsenal code. If it's marked. It also tells how to decode the serial number
http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!  

Well, it has the crude last ditch peep sight; and the wood butt plate (to save steel).  The mum is scrubbed thoroughly.

The bolt handle is not as "last ditchy" as some I've seen - but it's also not like the earlier pre - war guns either.

I'll let the experts take over Now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a beauty, and a steal at that price.

I like the "last ditch's", need to pick another up some time, and would have snagged it for sure....

If you look near the s/n on the left side of receiver, you will see the maker mark, and the series mark...get a good pic, and I can tell you what it is...I just happen to have my Type 99 book with me on my road trip, so I am just sitting in the hotel....

That's a keeper, the only thing that would make it even better would be the mum...

That's the original Urushi finish on the stock, which is great. Word of warning, not that you ever would, but if you sand, or strip that finish, it can give you contact dermatitis...it is basically a varnish made from sumac...as in poison sumac, like poison ivy...

ETA Surprising it still has a plum shaped bolt handle, and not the cylindrical...but you can find a range of features on these....again, like I said, show me the maker and series mark, and I will look up the particulars...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Boy, talk about a hand-carved stock!

Poison ivy varnish, really?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Boy, talk about a hand-carved stock!

Poison ivy varnish, really?
View Quote

Yep....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol

No finish sanding on the stock, straight from the pantograph stock making machine....Kriegsmodell 98's will also exhibit the "corn cob" stock look like that too, often...although typically not quite as bad as you see with the Japanese stocks!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've handled last-ditch German rifles that make the Arisaka pictured above look great.
View Quote

I thought it looked pretty good for a last ditch and for $200 otd I jumped on it. I think the condition makes up for not having the mum and I needed it to fill a spot in my collection. I'll get a pic of the serial# and markings soon
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's a beauty, and a steal at that price.

I like the "last ditch's", need to pick another up some time, and would have snagged it for sure....

If you look near the s/n on the left side of receiver, you will see the maker mark, and the series mark...get a good pic, and I can tell you what it is...I just happen to have my Type 99 book with me on my road trip, so I am just sitting in the hotel....

That's a keeper, the only thing that would make it even better would be the mum...

That's the original Urushi finish on the stock, which is great. Word of warning, not that you ever would, but if you sand, or strip that finish, it can give you contact dermatitis...it is basically a varnish made from sumac...as in poison sumac, like poison ivy...

ETA Surprising it still has a plum shaped bolt handle, and not the cylindrical...but you can find a range of features on these....again, like I said, show me the maker and series mark, and I will look up the particulars...
View Quote

Here you go
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, so it was made by Tokyo Juki Kogyo, The Tokyo Rifle Manufacturing Company....subcontractor for Kokura Arsenal...but seemingly built under Nagoya Supervision...According to the Type 99 guide, the full history of the 27th Series is somewhat nebulous...this was the last series produced at TJK.

The plant was located in Komac-mura, Tokyo Prefecture

27th Series, which started about mid 1944...

Plum shaped bolt handle is proper for this series, al your pictured attributes seem to be correct...

Its a great rifle, any Japanese collector I think would be thrilled to have it....

BTW...hard core Japanese collectors would rather have a number matching gun with a ground mum, than a full mum mismatch...Obviously, mummed matching is ideal...but I think most of these late wars are ground or struck...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OK, so it was made by Tokyo Juki Kogyo, The Tokyo Rifle Manufacturing Company....subcontractor for Kokura Arsenal...but seemingly built under Nagoya Supervision...According to the Type 99 guide, the full history of the 27th Series is somewhat nebulous...this was the last series produced at TJK.

The plant was located in Komac-mura, Tokyo Prefecture

27th Series, which started about mid 1944...

Plum shaped bolt handle is proper for this series, al your pictured attributes seem to be correct...

Its a great rifle, any Japanese collector I think would be thrilled to have it....

BTW...hard core Japanese collectors would rather have a number matching gun with a ground mum, than a full mum mismatch...Obviously, mummed matching is ideal...but I think most of these late wars are ground or struck...
View Quote

Awesome thanks for all of the info. I think this rifle comes from a guys collection that he sells off a few guns every couple of years. If I remember correctly the type 99 I bought a few years back that is beautiful with mum and bayonet had a tag on it similar to the one that was on this last ditch. I know it was the sellers tag and not the shops because it's a little aluminum tab that has some info scratched into it. I'd love to see this guys collection or what's left of it. Just for my records- I'm not selling this rifle, what value would you put on this?  I tag my rifles so if something happens to me someone doesn't rip my wife off when she sells them off. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Now I need to find a type 38 and 44. I know I can prob buy them off gunbroker but a long drawn out hunt to find the one I really like although slow is very rewarding, i guess that's why we do this
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#19]
This is simply my opinion...but to just a general guy, I think that rifle is easily $300 - $350...

But to a hard core Jap collector, I would say it could fetch up to $450...so $400 is a good middle of the road.

Like I said, judging from the pics, that is a primo rifle, all original, and seemingly un-dinked with, which makes it very desirable to a knowledgeable collector...

YMMV...

ETA Forgot to add...take a look at the action screws, in the trigger guard. They should be staked....if they are, and the stakes undisturbed...DO NOT disassemble. Japanese collectors love unmessed with staked screws.....actually adds to the value too...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Now I need to find a type 38 and 44. I know I can prob buy them off gunbroker but a long drawn out hunt to find the one I really like although slow is very rewarding, i guess that's why we do this
View Quote

And a Type 38 carbine, and a Type 99 Long Rifle, and a Type 2 Paratrooper....it never ends....
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This is simply my opinion...but to just a general guy, I think that rifle is easily $300 - $350...

But to a hard core Jap collector, I would say it could fetch up to $450...so $400 is a good middle of the road.

Like I said, judging from the pics, that is a primo rifle, all original, and seemingly un-dinked with, which makes it very desirable to a knowledgeable collector...

YMMV...

ETA Forgot to add...take a look at the action screws, in the trigger guard. They should be staked....if they are, and the stakes undisturbed...DO NOT disassemble. Japanese collectors love unmessed with staked screws.....actually adds to the value too...
View Quote

Great, thanks again
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Your rifle is fine for what it is.  I'm no expert on these things, but others seem to think you got a good deal, and I defer to their opinions.

Now, If I could lay the last ditch German rifle down alongside your last ditch rifle, I think you'd agree that the German rifle was a very distant second in the looks department, not to mention the mechanical/material construction.

I don't know if I would shoot your rifle, even given a good gunsmith inspection--but I might.  I don't think that doing so would enhance its' value, though.

As for the German rifle, it is so crude as to defy description, and there is NFW I would shoot that thing.

No offense intended at all, and I apologize if my previous remarks were so poorly worded that offense could be inferred.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've handled last-ditch German rifles that make the Arisaka pictured above look great.

I thought it looked pretty good for a last ditch and for $200 otd I jumped on it. I think the condition makes up for not having the mum and I needed it to fill a spot in my collection. I'll get a pic of the serial# and markings soon

Your rifle is fine for what it is.  I'm no expert on these things, but others seem to think you got a good deal, and I defer to their opinions.

Now, If I could lay the last ditch German rifle down alongside your last ditch rifle, I think you'd agree that the German rifle was a very distant second in the looks department, not to mention the mechanical/material construction.

I don't know if I would shoot your rifle, even given a good gunsmith inspection--but I might.  I don't think that doing so would enhance its' value, though.

As for the German rifle, it is so crude as to defy description, and there is NFW I would shoot that thing.

No offense intended at all, and I apologize if my previous remarks were so poorly worded that offense could be inferred.

Not at all
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even the last ditch rifles are pretty strong. His is well built, just crudely finished. I probably wouldn't be afraid to fire it with standard loads. The serial number is early in the 27th series so figure fall of 44.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious as to what exactly you are calling "last ditch" German rifles....are we talking Kriegsmodell 98k's, or VG-1's (Volks Gewehr)....because I have multiple Kriegsmodells from various manufatcurers...and while not nearly as nice as earlier war 98k's they are usually nice cosmetically than a last ditch 99...yes they have corn cob chatter stocks, but the chatters are finer...metal work isn't polished out, but still pretty nice...

Here is one of mine....a Steyr... http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?123-bnz-45-quot-r-quot-Block-Solid-Walnut

Now this actually has a solid walnut stock, which was reclaimed wood that would not pass inspection earlier, mainly walnut "sap" wood....

And here is a very late Mauser Oberndorf....

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?11823-svw45&p=77236&posted=1#post77236

Now the VG rifles were pretty darned crude.

Shooting the 99 would be fine....they are just as strong as earlier prettier 99's....the 99 action is actually one of the strongest actions made in WWII. The problem is, a lot of guys tried to fire the trainers, many of which looked just like a normal 99, but usually just made of cast iron....you try to fire that with live 7.7 ammo, and it will kaboom.

But, unless you have a burning desire to shoot it, why would you? That one would be too nice for me to shoot...but a few rounds for giggles wouldn't hurt it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Last-ditch German rifle I handled was a VG type.

Calling it crude is being generous--very generous.
View Quote

OK, that makes sense...the VG's were REALLY crude...but they are worth a ton of money if you come across one!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

OK, that makes sense...the VG's were REALLY crude...but they are worth a ton of money if you come across one!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not familiar with the model you guys are talking about. Is it a k98? How rare are they to come across?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm not familiar with the model you guys are talking about. Is it a k98? How rare are they to come across?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See here....this is a Steyr version...

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?373-VK-98-Steyr-V-5

And these two....

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?297-Vg-1

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?7004-Vg-1-upclose

They are not 98k's, thoug some versions were based on the 98k receiver, they were called Volks Gewehr or Volks Carbines...

Very crude and simply made. In fact most people would not know what they were if they saw them, probably figuring they were a bubba special. They are rare, and worth a lot, $5k and up....
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#30]
What is a good book that would give good overall info and pics on all of the different arisaka rifles?  Also while I'm asking how about the same for K98's?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#31]
For Arisaka's, I have Banzai Special Project #11, The Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Rifle, A Guide for the Collector and Historian, by Doss White and Don Voigt...

And of course Fred Honeycutts Military Rifles of Japan.

A good primer for 98k's would be Backbone of the Wehrmacht, by Richard Law, which is old, and has drawbacks, but is probably your best bet for a 1 volume book with lots of info...

The bible of 98k's is a 3 volume set by Mike Steves and Bruce Karam, which Volume I...."Karabiner 98k Volume 1: A collectors guide to the development and production of the German K98k service rifle up to 1938", and Volume III..."Kriegsmodell Volume 3: A

collectors guide to K98k production in the last month of the war" are out...

Volume II will be coming out early next year. Truly an amazing set of books...

Plus I do have rifles in all three....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top