Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2016 11:11:54 PM EDT
What army fielded the best rifle of world war 2?   Not counting the 98k,  the 98k because it was a standard issue rifle.  

What do you think?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Enfield done
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Swiss K31
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Swiss K31
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Swiss K31

Swiss did not participate in WW2

Quoted:
Enfield done

^this
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Bolt-action carbine?

Rifle, No. 5 Mk. I, though it didn't see a ton of service in WWII.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bolt-action carbine?

View Quote

Meh...I don't know, while handy and lightweight, the wandering zero doomed it, that's why it didnt last too long.

I think the standard No.4 Mk I was pretty damn outstanding...10 round mag, easy and fast manipulated bolt. The original Singer sight was awesome...

The O3A3 was very good too, but the Enfield takes the advantage with twice the rounds in my book.

The 91/30 was crude, and crappy, but did the job. The Type 99 was under rated, very strong action. The MAS 36 was handy, but unwieldy and hard to operate bolt...

I will go with Enfield..,
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Enfield by a mile. Other carbines may have a specific leg up, but the best overall package goes to the crown on this one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Meh...I don't know, while handy and lightweight, the wandering zero doomed it, that's why it didnt last too long.

I think the standard No.4 Mk I was pretty damn outstanding...10 round mag, easy and fast manipulated bolt. The original Singer sight was awesome...

The O3A3 was very good too, but the Enfield takes the advantage with twice the rounds in my book.

The 91/30 was crude, and crappy, but did the job. The Type 99 was under rated, very strong action. The MAS 36 was handy, but unwieldy and hard to operate bolt...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bolt-action carbine?

The question is somewhat confusing. The title refers to carbines, which would disqualify the No. 4 (and a lot of other things, too).

Of the actual carbines, the No. 5 was the best of the lot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Mosin......
NOT!!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The question is somewhat confusing. The title refers to carbines, which would disqualify the No. 4 (and a lot of other things, too).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bolt-action carbine?

Ok, see what you mean...then in OP, he says rifle....

Hey OP, some clarification...what do you mean?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have any experience with the type 38?  

Good or rough?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good or rough?
View Quote

If I had to choose between the 38 and the 44, I'd go with the 44...

If you are talking strictly carbines, then the No. 5, easy...same reasons as the No.4...10 rounds, great sight.

The G 33/40 was pretty nice too.

ETA When you say Type 38, I assume you mean the Japanese Type 38, and not the Russian Model 38....
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you are talking strictly carbines, then the No. 5, easy...same reasons as the No.4...10 rounds, great sight.

ETA When you say Type 38, I assume you mean the Japanese Type 38, and not the Russian Model 38....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good or rough?

That was my assumption as well - Japanese 6.5 carbines.

If we look specifically at carbines only, what do we have to compare? There's not a whole lot, but we can expand if we include stuff that was technically WWI but soldiered on in WWII.

Japanese Type 38 and Type 44
Italian Carcano Moschettos (91, 91/24, 91/28, 91/38 Cav, 91/38 TS)
Berthier Mousquetons (M16)
Steyr M95 Karabiners and Stutzens
No. 5 Mk. I
Mosin M38 and M44
G33/40

The US didn't field a bolt-action carbine, they didn't need to. The MAS-36 is technically carbine length (it's only a hair longer than a No. 5) but the French considered it a Fusil (rifle) and not a Mousqueton, so I'm not going to consider it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#13]
One of the Italian Carcano carbines
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes bolt action carbines.   Ones that were Wwi models are good to go.  And yes the 38 is the type 38.
I will say I have a number 5 and its awesome to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of the Italian Carcano carbines
View Quote

All things considered, not a truly terrible option. Round performed well enough, accurate enough for Brown Shirt work.
The action is a tad clunky, but it is a modified mauser action so you are good to go. Poor rifle get a wrap that don't deserve really.

ETA: For the sake of my answer, I'm excluding the carbines that were cut down rifles. Due to gain twist riffling, they shoot like shit
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#16]
The FN and VZ 24s were fine rifles.

In reality there is nothing really bad about the Carcano.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
^this
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Swiss K31

Quoted:

Enfield done

^this
I hate when people say this.

They most certainly participated.  They did not have widespread fighting.  But they mobilized and did everything but fight large scale actions.

Chile was probably the least participative of all the major countries.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes bolt action carbines.   Ones that were Wwi models are good to go.  And yes the 38 is the type 38.
I will say I have a number 5 and its awesome to shoot.
View Quote

Type 44 was a bolt carbine . I shoot one and like it
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Finnish - M27, M28 or M39

Choose any of those & you've got a winner - busy searching for an M27 at present....would settle for a 28 or 28/30
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They most certainly participated.  They did not have widespread fighting.  But they mobilized and did everything but fight large scale actions.

View Quote

mobilization in not participation. Swiss never fought.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had border skirmishes I believe.

Not counting the airplanes they shot/forced down from both sides.

ETA: I guess it depends on how we want to define fighting. They certainly fired shots at combatants, but it all appears to be purely defensive in nature.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes they did.

Not much, but they did.

Being smack dab in the middle of Europe during WWII and being fully mobilized and having to use arms in anger to defend your territory is participation by any stretch of the imagination.

That isn't even mentioning trade and espionage.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes they did.

Not much, but they did.

Being smack dab in the middle of Europe during WWII and being fully mobilized and having to use arms in anger to defend your territory is participation by any stretch of the imagination.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they did.

Not much, but they did.

I haven't read of any ground combat the Swiss were involved in. They were involved in some boarder skirmishes.  I know they shot down a few planes and got bombed by accident. I don't think they had any military related casualties just civilian.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I haven't read of any ground combat the Swiss were involved in. They were involved in some boarder skirmishes.  I know they shot down a few planes and got bombed by accident. I don't think they had any military related casualties just civilian.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes they did.
Not much, but they did.

You are correct.  Except it was more than a few planes.

That sounds involved to me.

That sounds like participation to me.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.  They most certainly fired weapons in anger.  Can you guess how many planes were shot down by Swiss with aircraft and AAA?

https://www.amazon.com/Target-Switzerland-Swiss-Armed-Neutrality/dp/0306813254

Recommend reading for you.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You are correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they did.

Not much, but they did.

You are correct.

The Swiss government stated and called the incidents  accidents.  I wouldn't  call mobilization or a skirmish involvement either.   In the scale of the conflict in Europe, I wouldn't consider any country that wasn't active in any type of official combat to be not involved.

On the personal level, I can see people considering them selves to be  involved . On a national level  they wanted to stay neutral and remain out of any conflicts.

It would be like if a mobilization or skirmish happens on the DMZ. They happen fairly often and are not considered a part of the Korean war but rather there own isolated incidents.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The Swiss government stated and called the incidents  accidents.  I wouldn't  call mobilization or a skirmish involvement either.   In the scale of the conflict in Europe, I wouldn't consider any country that wasn't active in any type of official combat to be not involved.
On the personal level, I can see people considering them selves to be  involved . On a national level  they wanted to stay neutral and remain out of any conflicts.
It would be like if a mobilization or skirmish happens on the DMZ. They happen fairly often and are not considered a part of the Korean war but rather there own isolated incidents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By

Yes they did.
Not much, but they did.

You are correct.

LOL

They literally fired thousands of rounds in anger protecting their sovereignty.
But ok, they did not participate in WW II.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Regardless of the whole Swiss question...as long as we are talking  strictly carbines, and NOT rifles, again, my vote is No. 5, followed by G 33/40.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm sure they shot rounds, anger has nothing to do with the involvement. I'm sure they shot out of fear as well.  I haven't seen a official list of battles involving the Swiss. By official I mean a government list of battles and not personal accounts.

I'm not here to discount any action I'm just trying to learn more.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If we look specifically at carbines only, what do we have to compare? There's not a whole lot, but we can expand if we include stuff that was technically WWI but soldiered on in WWII.

No. 5 Mk. I
Mosin M38 and M44
G33/40

The US didn't field a bolt-action carbine, they didn't need to. The MAS-36 is technically carbine length (it's only a hair longer than a No. 5) but the French considered it a Fusil (rifle) and not a Mousqueton, so I'm not going to consider it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good or rough?

No. 5 Mk. I
Mosin M38 and M44
G33/40

The 03 and susbequently the 03A3 and A4 were specifically designed to take the place of a rifle and carbine. It was issued to infantry and cavalry.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#31]
No just carbines.  How does the type 38 stack up against the no5?   I heard the Carcano is good too.  I'm think of expending my wwii rifle collection to get some carbines.   The type 38 looks really short and great handling?  Was wondering about accuracy.  My no 5 is handy and has a great slick action but accuracy is ok at 4 or 5 inches.   Is the type 38 accurate?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

No just carbines.  How does the type 38 stack up against the no5?   I heard the Carcano is good too.  I'm think of expending my wwii rifle collection to get some carbines.   The type 38 looks really short and great handling?  Was wondering about accuracy.  My no 5 is handy and has a great slick action but accuracy is ok at 4 or 5 inches.   Is the type 38 accurate?
View Quote
The Japanese type 38 should not be discounted either.   I would take an Arisaka over a Mosin any day.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:20:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'm sure they shot rounds, anger has nothing to do with the involvement. I'm sure they shot out of fear as well.  I haven't seen a official list of battles involving the Swiss. By official I mean a government list of battles and not personal accounts.

View Quote

I'm guessing you are young.

'In anger' means in combat.  Not real anger or fear.  It is an expression.

The Swiss engaged in combat in WWII.  Period.   Was it huge pitched battles? No.  But to say they were not a player or participant in WWII is just ignoring the historical fact.

Go read about the Swiss in WWII.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 3:05:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I wonder if any of the swede m94 carbines saw action anywhere.  I would guess at least a few found there way into Finland to help them out against the Soviets.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The Swiss engaged in combat in WWII.  Period.   Was it huge pitched battles? No.  But to say they were not a player or participant in WWII is just ignoring the historical fact.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been reading about the Swiss in WW2. I have not found a list of battles involving the Swiss. They don't officially have any combat casualties at all. With a estimated total of 20-15 million military members killed, you would expect a country that was involved in WW2 to have at least 1 casualty . I understand that Target Switzerland is a good read but  I wouldn't use that as a only source on information.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Some people just ignore reality.  Sad.

Arguing the definition of "is".
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Hey guys can we keep this about WWII carbines?  I'm
Sure the Swiss did a great job defending there own in WWII with a great rifle.  But I'm more interested In What your opinions are of the best bolt action carbine of the war was.  

I've got a couple of ww2 era carbines but what's the best one?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sure the Swiss did a great job defending there own in WWII with a great rifle.  But I'm more interested In What your opinions are of the best bolt action carbine of the war was.  

View Quote

I'd say the N0. 5 is in the top contenders, as well as the Finnish M27 or 28, they are very highly regarded.

Russian M38/44 are serviceable enough, just a bit crude.  

Purpose built Carcano Carbines - Same as the Russians, perfectly useable, they just get a bad rap.

I don't know enough about the Arisaka carbines, but the long rifles were fine weapons. It stands to reason that the carbines would be as well, just a tad less accurate.

MAS-36 - Good rifle, decent sights, just needs a damn safety.

Various Mauser Carbines - Great choice's. Only really limited by their magazine capacity.

K11 - Fantastic rifle, no way around it. Depends on if you want to count it or not, but it is a truly fantastic weapon.

I'm sure I'm missing others, but those are off the top of my head

Which do you have?

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

To me, it depends on the safety.  If it was a Mauser style or enfield, then sure, a safety would be nice.  If it ended up being a mosin style safety, Inwould rather not have one and just carry with the chamber empty (like the French did)
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

To me, it depends on the safety.  If it was a Mauser style or enfield, then sure, a safety would be nice.  If it ended up being a mosin style safety, Inwould rather not have one and just carry with the chamber empty (like the French did)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree. Hell, I'd even take an SKS/SVT style safety.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Why do I feel I've fallen into a liberal newscast, "doesn't fit the narrative so it's not important". Switzerland remained neutral because it was armed, had difficult terrain that made the Germans tanks unusable, and the populace was willing to fight all comers. Ask other small countries that were between Germany and their targeted countries what happened to them. Do you think Germany really cared about Luxembourg or the Netherlands?  If Switzerland hadn't be on a war footing they would have been swept away too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I'd say the N0. 5 is in the top contenders, as well as the Finnish M27 or 28, they are very highly regarded.

Purpose built Carcano Carbines - Same as the Russians, perfectly useable, they just get a bad rap.

I don't know enough about the Arisaka carbines, but the long rifles were fine weapons. It stands to reason that the carbines would be as well, just a tad less accurate.

Various Mauser Carbines - Great choice's. Only really limited by their magazine capacity.

K11 - Fantastic rifle, no way around it. Depends on if you want to count it or not, but it is a truly fantastic weapon.

Which do you have?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which do you have?

Yep. K11 carbine or K31. Nothing else comes close.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Swedish Model 1894.
Armed Swedish "volunteers" who fought along side Finnish troops.

Then the No. 5

Everything else is an also ran.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I would happily take a MAS Mle. 36 into action before any other bolt action rifle of the time. Simple, accurate, robust, fast action, quick-to-acquire sights.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#45]
The best on the surplus market would be the K11 or K31. At worst they will only show handling markings.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Thread needs  pics

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wrong.  They most certainly fired weapons in anger.  Can you guess how many planes were shot down by Swiss with aircraft and AAA?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you think they shot those planes with K31s?  Don't thin so!  They weren't involved in ground fighting.  Their airspace has been violated....accidentally.

There was zero combat. Warning shots are not combat.

Enfield still remains supreme as the best firearm that was involved in WWII combat. Might actually be better than Mauser action based weapons: 10 round mag, better sight system, quick to work action that can be easily worked from the shoulder.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I would happily take a MAS Mle. 36 into action before any other bolt action rifle of the time. Simple, accurate, robust, fast action, quick-to-acquire sights.
View Quote

The MAS-36 is an excellent rifle. The bolts on the 60's refurbs with their heavy park jobs can be difficult to work, but once you spend some time wearing the park off, they become pretty damn fast. The rear lugs and the funky bolt handle make for an incredibly short bolt throw, too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
And you think they shot those planes with K31s?  Don't thin so!  They weren't involved in ground fighting.  Their airspace has been violated....accidentally.

Enfield still remains supreme as the best firearm that was involved in WWII combat. Might actually be better than Mauser action based weapons: 10 round mag, better sight system, quick to work action that can be easily worked from the shoulder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok. Shooting down multiple planes isn't combat.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top