Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2016 3:39:03 PM EDT
Local guy is trying to sell one. Front and rear sight has been removed and a scope has been mounted. Otherwise it's in fair condition.
Is it worth buying?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Not unless it was super cheap.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What is super cheap?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What is super cheap?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is super cheap?

$250 or less? Something like that. Basically, it's just a base for something; in its current state I'd suggest making an M1903-A4 clone out of it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Local guy is trying to sell one. Front and rear sight has been removed and a scope has been mounted. Otherwise it's in fair condition.

Is it worth buying?
View Quote

Still in military configuration or has it been sporterized?  If still in military configuration, with a good barrel, the scope base is a redfield, and the bolt wasn't ground or otherwise butchered for scope clearance I would pay up to $500ish for it.  The bulk of the work is done at that point.  Just get a Weaver K4 and some rings and you're CMP legal for vintage sniper.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Still in military configuration or has it been sporterized?  If still in military configuration, with a good barrel, the scope base is a redfield, and the bolt wasn't ground or otherwise butchered for scope clearance I would pay up to $500ish for it.  The bulk of the work is done at that point.  Just get a Weaver K4 and some rings and you're CMP legal for vintage sniper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it worth buying?

Looks like it's in original condition. I'm assuming they drilled the recieved for the scope mount. The grooves are still in the barrel for the front sights. He is asking $250

Some parts may have been replaced on the bolt assembly. The barrel looks great inside
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Looks like it's in original condition. I'm assuming they drilled the recieved for the scope mount. The grooves are still in the barrel for the front sights. He is asking $250

Some parts may have been replaced on the bolt assembly. The barrel looks great inside
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it worth buying?

For $250 in good shape I'd be all over that!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep. At $250, buy it and make it an A4 clone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd buy it. Sarco has nice rebuilt  03A3's for $595 + shipping.

I am not affiliated with them at all but I do like the rifle they sold me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it worth buying?

Yup go and buy it NOW!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#10]
It's mine. Now what?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Post pics. Duh
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd buy it. Sarco has nice rebuilt  03A3's for $595 + shipping.

I am not affiliated with them at all but I do like the rifle they sold me.
View Quote

link?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Post pics. Duh
View Quote

Not much can be done about this. I guess
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Swap the straight stock for a C stock and you'll be all set.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Swap the straight stock for a C stock and you'll be all set.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:49:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn nice score there. How about some close up pics of any markings and the knobs on that scope.

Looks like you lucked into an almost A4 clone. Like other said, you just need a C stock and you are probably done. Just make sure the scope isn't a crappy knock off and the mount is on straight and secure.

Even looks like a good job on the bolt handle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Damn nice score there. How about some close up pics of any markings and the knobs on that scope.

Looks like you lucked into an almost A4 clone. Like other said, you just need a C stock and you are probably done. Just make sure the scope isn't a crappy knock off and the mount is on straight and secure.

Even looks like a good job on the bolt handle.
View Quote

No writing on the Scope so I assume it's a knock off but it does look old.

This was kind of a impulse buy. What's it worth?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#18]
If, and I say IF, it's an original 03A4 it's worth over 3,000 with the right stock on it and only a little less if it doesn't.

The A4's used a A3 barrel, so the "grooves" for the front sight are still there on the A4's, too.

Can you see the serial number and the maker info/model number?

Some A4's say 03A3 on them and some have had the last 3 in the number overstamped with a 4.

Some are a mix of parkerized and blued metal.

I had 2.  One has the C type stock on it.  The one I traded off many years ago had one of the scant stocks on it.  The scant stock was sort of half way between what you have and the full C type stock.

Mine shoots very well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If, and I say IF, it's an original 03A4 it's worth over 3,000 with the right stock on it and only a little less if it doesn't.

The A4's used a A3 barrel, so the "grooves" for the front sight are still there on the A4's, too.

Can you see the serial number and the maker info/model number?

Some A4's say 03A3 on them and some have had the last 3 in the number overstamped with a 4.

Some are a mix of parkerized and blued metal.

I had 2.  One has the C type stock on it.  The one I traded off many years ago had one of the scant stocks on it.  The scant stock was sort of half way between what you have and the full C type stock.

Mine shoots very well.
View Quote

Looks like 4041110 Remington.
Barrel as RA then a logo and 9-43 below it
Looks like the scope mount covers everything else

Towards the front of the scope I can barely read.  330 scope M 8. I think. Then   W. R W  can't read then Co
El Paso Texas

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's some pictures at this web site.

Notice how the serial number is on the right side of the scope base and the maker name/model is on the left side of the base.  This example also says 03A3

http://www.warpathmilitaria.com/engine/inspect.asp?Item=28&Filter=Archive

If your maker name and model number is under the scope base it's an A3 someone modified to A4 configuration (I'm guessing).
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#21]
More pics of scope and mounts, could be a keeper
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
More pics of scope and mounts, could be a keeper
View Quote

The writing is too faded to see in a picture. Also noticed the reliever was slightly shave in order for the handle to fully close. No writing on the mount. But it looks old. It has cross hair reticle.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#23]
No writing on the scope mount
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm thinking that since some of the receiver markings are covered by the scope mount, that it is a A3 converted to A4. Not as valuable as a true A4, but if it was drilled and tapped right, the correct scope mount and authentic scope was used, it is still worth quite a bit more than $250. Probably at least $1000 if not more.

With the age/wear on the scope I am leaning toward it not being a Chinese knock off, but I am no expert.

If it were mine, I would just make sure it shoots good, the scope is in good working order and put it in a C stock and call it good. You scored well for an A4 clone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm thinking that since some of the receiver markings are covered by the scope mount, that it is a A3 converted to A4. Not as valuable as a true A4, but if it was drilled and tapped right, the correct scope mount and authentic scope was used, it is still worth quite a bit more than $250. Probably at least $1000 if not more.

With the age/wear on the scope I am leaning toward it not being a Chinese knock off, but I am no expert.

If it were mine, I would just make sure it shoots good, the scope is in good working order and put it in a C stock and call it good. You scored well for an A4 clone.
View Quote

All of this.

It's not a real A4, but a well done A4gery build.  The scope is a vintage weaver (330C IIRC) which was a commercial version of the military scope.  OP you stole it at $250.  That gun is worth closer to $1K as it sits.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

All of this.

It's not a real A4, but a well done A4gery build.  The scope is a vintage weaver (330C IIRC) which was a commercial version of the military scope.  OP you stole it at $250.  That gun is worth closer to $1K as it sits.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this.

Really? So if I list it for $800 it would sell? Don't get me wrong I like it but if it's worth that much I think I would part with it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Really? So if I list it for $800 it would sell? Don't get me wrong I like it but if it's worth that much I think I would part with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All of this.

Probably. Might take a bit of time because of the stock not being a scant or c stock.

What's the barrel condition?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#28]
That's what I was thinking, The correct stock would help, but as long as the barrel and optics are in good shape, I think you would be able to get $800 for it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That's what I was thinking, The correct stock would help, but as long as the barrel and optics are in good shape, I think you would be able to get $800 for it.
View Quote

Yup.  Those old scopes are hard to find in good shape, and when you do see them they go for a pretty penny.  Assuming your scope is clear, the crosshair wires are still straight, the knobs still have a positive adjustment to them (don't expect a modern CLICK), and it tracks/holds zero that will increase the value.  I've been known to buy old scopes from pawnshops and get a free gun with them .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top