Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2016 10:50:42 PM EDT
New territory for me. Don't yet have an example of an American rifle used in WWII.

This one is an Underwood with a receiver date that puts it about September of '43. The barrel is marked Underwood with a date of 1-44.

Stock is made by TN, which from a short search shows that being a subcontractor for Underwood.

Bolt marked "S6"

Hammer marked "SW"

Op-rod marked "7160091" with a "V" and a circle "proof"?

Trigger group marked " S'G' "

Bayonet lug? marked with "0-2"

Rear sight marked "J.A.U."

Mag release marked "CC over M"

Magazine marked "IS"

Barrel band marked with a "U" in a diamond.

Bore is nice, but the rifling looks thin to me, but then I don't know what is considered normal outside having the T.E. and muzzle measured.

Will post more pictures later.

Thoughts on how much I should get into this for?

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Appears to be a typical mixmaster, possibly a CMP gun.  Hate to say it but Underwoods are usually north of a grand. It's one of the less common manufacturers.  Decent Inlands are getting $800 with regularity.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Appears to be a typical mixmaster, possibly a CMP gun.  Hate to say it but Underwoods are usually north of a grand. It's one of the less common manufacturers.  Decent Inlands are getting $800 with regularity.
View Quote

I agree, and its a pretty nice carbine. Re-worked, but very few aren't. Has rotary safety, bayo lug band, and late sight....but a flat top bolt...

I would say if you can get it for $800 or less, jump right on it...

I would think going rate on an Underwood like that would be $1000-$1200...or more (asking price anyway, carbine prices have been nuts...)
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I remember reading so far, the rear sight is war time production stamped.

The stock is the high wood type.

And the asking price from the seller is 550.

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
From what I remember reading so far, the rear sight is war time production stamped.

View Quote

Um, yeah, buy that.  Easily half the current market.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, run, don't walk! And an un-modded high wood stock too? Great deal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#6]
$550, yeah, that's a sale right now. Barreled receivers are going for north of that these days.

Virtually all of the parts on that carbine are "wartime" - production of parts for M1 Carbines pretty much went to full stop when the war ended. However, the great majority of the upgraded parts (adjustable rear sights, later magazine catches for the 30rd magazines, fully round bolts, bayonet lug barrel bands, etc) were put on during post-war rebuild programs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Discovered that the op slide (I call it an op-rod), is an Inland.

It's not import marked.

Yep, told the seller I'd be relieving him of this rifle!
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#8]
From what I can see there:
Magazine catch is a Commercial Controls improved magazine catch
Barrel band is a bayonet lug band made by Donaldson Manufacturing
Stock is a Trimble TN stock made for an NPM carbine (not original to this one)
Trigger housing is Saginaw SG (Grand Rapids)
Bolt is probably marked SG and not S6 - Saginaw SG
Rear sight is actually marked JAO - J. A. Obertein
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From what I can see there:
Magazine catch is a Commercial Controls improved magazine catch
Barrel band is a bayonet lug band made by Donaldson Manufacturing
Stock is a Trimble TN stock made for an NPM carbine (not original to this one)
Trigger housing is Saginaw SG (Grand Rapids)
View Quote

Thanks for that info!

One of the reasons I love this site, for people like you that willing share what you know!

I do truly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for that info!

One of the reasons I love this site, for people like you that willing share what you know!

I do truly appreciate it.
View Quote

No trouble at all, the C&R forum is generally pretty darn friendly, we try to help each other out.

IS on the magazine is International Silver. IS mags weren't made for any specific manufacturer. The company did make magazines for a couple of the prime contractors, but these were marked differently (II is International Silver for Inland, for example).
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Great score! I was able to get a Winchester and 250 rounds of ammo for $500 on Gunbroker last year because the guy had it listed solely as "Winchester Carbine" but spelled Winchester wrong so I'm assuming not a lot of people ever saw the auction. Also, don't stress yourself over trying to make the rifle "correct" by getting all Inland parts. From what I've read in my M1 carbine books and from gathering from the CMP forum, there were pretty much zero rifles that left the factory with all parts from the same factory unlike the M1 Garands.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Great score! I was able to get a Winchester and 250 rounds of ammo for $500 on Gunbroker last year because the guy had it listed solely as "Winchester Carbine" but spelled Winchester wrong so I'm assuming not a lot of people ever saw the auction. Also, don't stress yourself over trying to make the rifle "correct" by getting all Inland parts. From what I've read in my M1 carbine books and from gathering from the CMP forum, there were pretty much zero rifles that left the factory with all parts from the same factory unlike the M1 Garands.
View Quote

I couldn't imagine the amount of great buys that have occurred because of misspelling on gunbroker....

I'm pretty happy with this rifle.

Regarding the matching of parts, I'm currently on page 19 of the CMP m1 carbine forum and have only encountered a couple of threads where the question was asked about replacing parts with correct manufacture parts. If I go looking for correct manufacture parts, I'd probably just have those as spares.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I couldn't imagine the amount of great buys that have occurred because of misspelling on gunbroker....

Regarding the matching of parts, I'm currently on page 19 of the CMP m1 carbine forum and have only encountered a couple of threads where the question was asked about replacing parts with correct manufacture parts. If I go looking for correct manufacture parts, I'd probably just have those as spares.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ba careful looking for correct parts , The CMP at the tent sale just sold buckets of parts that were pulled for being out of spec. . Almost every part they had for a carbine sold and most were marked as bad and had some issues from minor to serious .
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I did learn real quick that there is no shortage of fake carbine parts, although, I've yet to see any actual pictures of comparisons.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#15]
There was (is?) a place in California (cough George cough) that sold piles of fake Chinese-made parts. Anything you wanted, he had it, all fake. Down to stock stamps and everything. There are ways to tell them apart, but it generally has more to do with the quality of the construction than anything else.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#17]
That's not a buy. That's a steal. Kudos!
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:30:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There was (is?) a place in California (cough George cough) that sold piles of fake Chinese-made parts. Anything you wanted, he had it, all fake. Down to stock stamps and everything. There are ways to tell them apart, but it generally has more to do with the quality of the construction than anything else.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Yeah, I got burned by that guy. I should have known considering the parts were basically new and way below market price.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm not going to bother to make this rifle period correct. Need that money for ammo!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Buy it now........$550 is cheap for a carbine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't try to make a carbine all correct.  Hell, a all correct carbine is more suspect to me than a mixed one.  These things were re arsenaled so many times it's very very rare to find a correct one.

Also, if I am thinking correctly, your carbine was updated to add the bayo lug, flip safety, and rear adjustable site, so technically it's never gonna be "correct" anyways.
View Quote

The main contractors constantly swapped parts to keep the lines moving...a "correct" carbine on average left the plant with at least one part from another main contractor.
Top Top