Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2016 6:12:28 PM EDT
I was given this rifle in exchange for some work, and I have no use for it.  I'd like to get rid of it, but I have no idea what it is (other than a German 98 Mauser, and the huge 1939 on the receiver that suggests it was made in 1939).  I know it has been sporterized, and that will hurt its value.  The bore appears pretty nice, and the blueing looks pretty good.  Anything with a number on it matches--'272.'

So, what do you all think?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I would say that is a vet bring back gun unless you can find any import markings on it.  The war eagles look too good to be a Russian capture and it still has the capture screws on the  magazine plate.  The 147 is for JP Sauer and Sohn out of Germany and was made in 1939.  Its a shame that it has been sporterized because I bet it would bring a pretty penny with the correct paperwork  .  Overall looks like a good shorter but not much for collecting unless you can find a replacement stock and hardware for it.  I say keep it because Mausers are great guns and don't beat up your shoulder like a Mosin with heavy ball will .
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Find an appropriate stock for it and drop it in. It's a shame that rifle was sporterized.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You are GTG on a rescue as the ring on the front of the rear sight has not been ground off as many sporter K98s were. A decent stock set will set you back around $225.00 or so.

LOL....I have both a cupped and a flat stock-set layed back for a rescue on such a rifle as yours.....Now to just come across one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I am hesitant on looking for a stock to make it correct, as I don't plan on keeping it.  I suppose I could, but I'd just as soon sell it to someone who appreciates rifles such as these, and would restore it appropriately.  If I bought a stock for it, it would simply be to sell it as 'more correct.'

I'm not sure if it is verboten to inquire about valuation on this site, but if it is OK to do so, what would be an appropriate value to ask for such a rifle?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:43:27 AM EDT
[#5]
$500 would be a perfect point.

Better than a Russian captured but less than an all matching.

Appears that since the bolt root number and shroud match, the rest of it probably matches, but you won't know for sure until you disassemble the bolt and verify the firing pin serial, in any case, the bolt matching is a plus.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Appears that since the bolt root number and shroud match, the rest of it probably matches, but you won't know for sure until you disassemble the bolt and verify the firing pin serial, in any case, the bolt matching is a plus.

View Quote

I am going to say more like around $300....all you are getting, from a collectors point of view, is a matching barreled action....

To properly restore, you would need to find an armorers stock, handguard, and bands, and that could cost you $600 and up for all that (unless you luck into one).

Since any 1939 rifle would be s/n on the keel of the stock, plus in the channels....you won't find a correct 1939 period stock, unless you just go with a mismatched numbered stock.

Sure the matching bolt is a plus, but the needed parts are parts everyone is looking for...bands and wood.

Sure, you may be able to pull $500 for it, but, speaking for myself, I wouldn't go more that $250-$300....knowing it would be a project gun that would probably take a while to finish.

If you dropped it into any mismatched stock and band set, it would only be worth $500-$600 or so, really, and if you have to shell out $200-$250 for a stock, handguard and bands, at $250-$300 for the gun, you are right there....

ETA It was indeed manufactured in 1939 by JP Sauer and Sohn, Suhl....nice piece, to bad it was sporterized, unsporterized and original it would easily be a $1200 and up rifle these days....
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am going to say more like around $300....all you are getting, from a collectors point of view, is a matching barreled action....

To properly restore, you would need to find an armorers stock, handguard, and bands, and that could cost you $600 and up for all that (unless you luck into one).

Since any 1939 rifle would be s/n on the keel of the stock, plus in the channels....you won't find a correct 1939 period stock, unless you just go with a mismatched numbered stock.

Sure the matching bolt is a plus, but the needed parts are parts everyone is looking for...bands and wood.

Sure, you may be able to pull $500 for it, but, speaking for myself, I wouldn't go more that $250-$300....knowing it would be a project gun that would probably take a while to finish.

If you dropped it into any mismatched stock and band set, it would only be worth $500-$600 or so, really, and if you have to shell out $200-$250 for a stock, handguard and bands, at $250-$300 for the gun, you are right there....

ETA It was indeed manufactured in 1939 by JP Sauer and Sohn, Suhl....nice piece, to bad it was sporterized, unsporterized and original it would easily be a $1200 and up rifle these days....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you all for the information.  The advice about the stock is precisely what I suspected--I could drop another $250 into a stock, and then sell the whole thing for $250 more, so kind of a moot point.

Thank you all again.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#8]
$300?

Laughable considering what R/C's are selling for.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
$300?

View Quote

No, don't think so....R/C's are complete at least, this needs a stock and bands....decent stock sets are $200 plus....

Sporterized stuff doesn't sell for shit....

OP can try to get whatever he would like out of it...I don't think he'll ever get $500 for a sportered 98k....

My post is strictly my opinion, based on 15 years of doing gunshows, and 20 years of collecting 98k's....YMMV....
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
And r/c's are complete mismatched.

Less the stock, his is more honest.

I've been hitting gun shows for the same amount of time and collecting 98's and I've not seen a 98k, bolt m/m, r/c and all matching sell for less than $400, but our mileage varies because we are in different parts of the country.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, the OP can post it over at the forum...  www.k98kforum.com

And see what the guys say...also OP if you are looking to move it, that's a good place, lots of hardcore 98k guys there...

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't tell if it has the original front sight in your photos.

If it has the original front sight still and barrel isn't shortened, it's restorable.

Make sure it's in the original 8mm first, as many turned into sporters were converted.

Honestly, you are not going to get a lot of money as-is. Maybe $350-$400 to the right buyer.

You'd be better off and make more money ($750-$800) if you fixed it properly (not just slapping the cheapest 98k parts on it).

That means buying a correct stock to splice on the missing section to the original, instead of replacing it entirely. Then buying the correct milled bands.

This is all dependent on if the front sight/barrel hasn't been messed with. Even if re-crowned, the value drops drastically.

You're looking at a $200-$250 parts rifle if the barrel/front sight is messed with.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's the front sight

And butt plate

The under side of the rear sight and the base also are marked 272
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's the front sight

<a href="http://s179.photobucket.com/user/razzman1/media/20160728_2043551_zps9b2gtpkd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w307/razzman1/20160728_2043551_zps9b2gtpkd.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s179.photobucket.com/user/razzman1/media/20160728_2044101_zps0ggtr2ix.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w307/razzman1/20160728_2044101_zps0ggtr2ix.jpg</a>

And butt plate

<a href="http://s179.photobucket.com/user/razzman1/media/20160728_2045121_zpsmqtg3puu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w307/razzman1/20160728_2045121_zpsmqtg3puu.jpg</a>

The under side of the rear sight and the base also are marked 272
View Quote

Good news is the front sight is AOK...

Bad news, the stock is trash, no saving it, it's been heavily modified....that butt plate should not come to a point like that...no part of the stock is saveable...

Oh, and your front sight was never cut for a sight hood...prior to 41 they were not cut, they used a muzzle/sight cover....but after 41 if the gun went back for (usually) Regimental or higher depot work, they were retroactively cut....this one never was.

It would be a real beauty if it wasn't sportered....
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]
The really good news is that the gun itself is not molested ,  I would think $500-550 locally . and it would sell quickly
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The really good news is that the gun itself is not molested ,  I would think $500-550 locally . and it would sell quickly
View Quote

OP, if you can get that for it, jump on it, but I don't see it getting that kind of money....

But the 98k market is crazy, so who knows...,
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
OP, if you can get that for it, jump on it, but I don't see it getting that kind of money....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I watch alot of k98's on gunbroker and think k98guy is spot on with his suggestions. Id bet it go for around 250-350 dollars on gunbroker, the people saying these are worth the same as RC's are wrong.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:31:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I watch alot of k98's on gunbroker and think k98guy is spot on with his suggestions. Id bet it go for around 250-350 dollars on gunbroker, the people saying these are worth the same as RC's are wrong.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having an opinion of value based on locality is not wrong.

I was wrong to not specify that in my area, that $500 would be appropriate for that rifle.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#19]
147 code  =  J P Sauer & Sohn

Nice gun = get it in an old period correct stock, the main issue would have been if the barrel had been chopped.
Saw a very similar one last week (same year & maker) but for sale in the UK as a converted single shot 410.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I was wrong to not specify that in my area, that $500 would be appropriate for that rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just highly HIGHLY doubt you could find someone to pay 500 for that rifle anywhere in the US and am trying to give the OP an realistic evaluation.

It really just comes down to how fast the OP wants to move the rifle. If you want to try to get 500 dollars and sit on it for years good luck. If you want to sell it at the current going rate then I would list it in the price range mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
$300?

View Quote

Negative. The most I would go would be $250.00 as it sits and that is only because I already gave a stock set/hardware I could drop it into to make it correct looking for the code/year.

To be honest the sum of it's parts is worth more to part it out than you could get for it the way it is.

It's simply cost prohibitive for most folks to rescue it if you don't already have the parts on-hand.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Personal opinion and all that. ......
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well I would say that is a vet bring back gun unless you can find any import markings on it.  The war eagles look too good to be a Russian capture and it still has the capture screws on the  magazine plate.  The 147 is for JP Sauer and Sohn out of Germany and was made in 1939.  Its a shame that it has been sporterized because I bet it would bring a pretty penny with the correct paperwork  .  Overall looks like a good shorter but not much for collecting unless you can find a replacement stock and hardware for it.  I say keep it because Mausers are great guns and don't beat up your shoulder like a Mosin with heavy ball will .
View Quote

Uh......those are Weimar Republic eagles.  OP........you should be able to find a walnut JP stock if you put the time in looking and get her back into proper configuration. Springfield sporters has the hardware now all you need is the wood.
http://www.ssporters.com/category-s/156.htm

Edit:

Same link on last page also has German K98k handguards. Now all you need is a stock......
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Personal opinion and all that. ......
View Quote

Nope, I'm just aware of the current K98 market and how it works.

If I acquired it and did not have a stock set I would just part it out.

Bolt (if matching)....$150.00 +

Stripped Barreled action....$150.00

Rear sight assembly......$50.00

Front sight and blade.....$25.00

TG/Floorplate......$75.00

Follower/spring......$25.00

Action screws.....$20.00

Capture screws.....$20.00

Butt plate/screws.....$25.00

Trigger assembly....$25.00

BTU value of the stock in the wood stove.

As you can see there are $500.00 +/- worth of parts you could sell in time but as a stand alone rifle it's worth half that or maybe a bit more to someone with a stock set. I know it seems messed-up but that is the way it is.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm just going by the shit I've seen sell in my area.

If you know my local market value better than I do, so be it....whatever.

And you are right, he'd probably do better parting it out, but I can't believe a common code R/C has a higher value than his rifle. At least his shit wasn't picked up on the Eastern front.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm just going by the shit I've seen sell in my area.

If you know my local market value better than I do, so be it....whatever.

And you are right, he'd probably do better parting it out, but I can't believe a common code R/C has a higher value than his rifle. At least his shit wasn't picked up on the Eastern front.
View Quote

Speaking personally, I would never part it out...it is a very good project gun for someone.

If you could find an armorer spare stock, and bands....you could certainly restore it to correct for a rework or field repaired gun. The big problem is finding an actual armorer spare stock...super high demand for those....

A collector out there somewhere would certainly snap this up as a project gun...the part up for debate is how much they would be willing to pay.

Now find a guy with a proper stock sett sitting waiting for the right project gun, I can see them paying up there in the $500 range...

I am just looking at it from the perspective of most collectors I know...they go through the metric of how much it will cost to put it back into military trim, whether its a mismatched stock and band set on up to a proper armorer spare set, plus the base cost of the gun, and what it would be worth when all is said and done.

Most guys are loathe to get deeper into than they would be worth in the end, but sometimes they will, especially if it would fit a missing hole in the collection.

Honestly, I would love to have this gun, I have 8 Sauer's....I do not have a 1939 though, it would certainly fill an empty spot....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top