Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2016 12:01:05 PM EDT
So I had a beater Ishapore that I revived into a fun sporterized gun. The last detail that it's lacking is a decent trigger.

Now I'm not expecting a 3# glass rod break trigger, but something better than dragging a concrete block across railroad tracks would be nice.

Pics of offending gun.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Love the looks and practical!

I have no idea but would a trigger guard and trigger from a #4mkII be made to work?

I'm sure some of the old DIY sporterizing of military rifle books from the 60's would cover something to improve.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 1918 BSA No.1 Mk3, a Savage No. 4 Mk1, a No.1, Mk5 carbine, and a No.4 Mk2.  All have excellent triggers: 2-stage that break clean around 4 pounds or so.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The trigger is hung from the trigger guard, and wood shrinkage or improper bedding will "lower" the front of the trigger guard. This increases the distance the trigger sear travels across the face of the cocking piece.

The British when they had .010 wood crush below the receiver and above the trigger guard would replace the fore stock. And this would raise and decrease the angle of the trigger guard.

Because they no longer make new stocks you can cheat and bend the trigger guard slightly downward. This should decrease the trigger sear travel and make the pull shorter.

To decrease the pull weight you sand/stone the face of the cocking piece bent. This is the area the trigger sear travels across on the cocking piece.

If you hold the cocking piece upright like it is positioned in the rifle you angle the face of the cocking piece bent toward at the bottom by stoning or sanding.

And by decreasing the angle the force required to pull the sear over this flat surface is decreased.

Download the Canadian No.4  "Maintenance Instructions" manual below I donated and look at the page 4-3 image that shows how to change the angle.

http://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=335-1991-No.4-%28All-Marks%29-.303-Rifle-Manuals-%28Complete-Set%29
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think I have ever had a bad trigger on a Enfield. I have owned a half dozen or so. Some may have been heavier but they all broke clean from around 4 to 7lb depending on which one I was shooting.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought all my Enfields had pretty good triggers for mil-spec guns.

Until I bought my Ross
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Until I bought my Ross
View Quote

Did you get that black eye and broke tooth from your bolt?  Always wanted a Ross!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up a used 2A and it's trigger is actually pretty good. No creep, very short pull, good weight.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did you get that black eye and broke tooth from your bolt?  Always wanted a Ross!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until I bought my Ross

1905s don't have that problem.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I have found that how you pull the trigger on Lee Enfields can make a big difference in how the trigger pull feels. Blowing through both stages, rapidly, feels like garbage (and hurts accuracy). Taking up the first stage to the break, works better.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Normally on a Enfield rifle that does not have wood crush or wood shrinkage on the fore stock trigger adjustments are made with the lobes on the trigger.

In the Canadian No.4 manual it states that the armourer when rifles are returned to home station the armourer "MAY" have to bend the trigger guard to adjust the trigger.

The "MAY" deals with wood crush and the angle of the trigger guard, if the fore stock has excessive wood crush there is no choice but to leave the bend in the trigger guard.

This is because there are no new fore stocks for replacement and the wood crush on the existing fore stock has lowered the front of the trigger guard.

This is why the Mk.2 Enfield's had the trigger hung from the reciever and the trigger pull thus not effected but wood fit of the fore stock.

The location of the trigger sear on the cocking piece bent controlled the length of pull.

Normally the first stage pull brought the sear to the bottom edge of the cocking piece, and the second stage would cause the sear to drop off the edge of the cocking piece.

And changing the angle of the cocking piece bent lowered the pull weight.

Bottom line you can make the Enfield trigger as slick as snot on a door knob by slightly bending the base of the trigger guard downward and lowering the position of the sear.

Then decrease the angle of the cocking piece bent to the desired pull weight. I have done this to all my shooter Enfields and it works.

I can also say after buying five triggers and trying to adjust the lobes on the trigger it is futile experiment when you have excessive wood crush.

Please download the No.4 manual I posed above and do some reading, the No.4 Enfield rifle is still used by the Canadian rangers and steps outside the original British manuals must be used because of no new parts being available.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until I bought my Ross

Gotcha! Wouldn't consider it a deal breaker either way.  They are beautiful rifles!  

I've always considered Enfield triggers to be about perfect. I am sure it is something easily fixed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top