Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 3:36:17 PM EDT
A lightly Turked 1918 Oberndorf GEW 98 showed-up at the pawn shop that I can get for $225.00 OTD.

Matching but the bolt and floor plate. Receiver ring import mark, small crescent moon stamp, dark but strong stock, Lange sight, cleaning rod, and muzzle protector.

FO or no?

To be honest I can't find a like example of a Turk Gew98 to go by price wise.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
For that price, hell yeah!

The parts are worth that easy....
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For that price, hell yeah!

The parts are worth that easy....
View Quote

Yeah, damn I must be slipping....

The stock/HG/metal is a solid $175.00 +.

I think I'll pick it up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I went ahead and bought the Gew 98 this morning and I'm glad I did. The only evidence of "Turk activity" was the stock looked to be lightly sanded, a replacement unserialed Oberndorf bolt (head-spaces fine)/floor-plate, and a rear sling swivel added into the Mauser marked stud. The only Turk marking is the crescent moon property mark.

Stock/HG, TG, action screws, bands, BP, Lange sight, barreled receiver all match.

Come to find out Oberndorf supplied nearly their entire 1918 production to Turkey. Most were converted to the 1938 pattern during refurbs but this one survived. It likely received it's bolt/light sanding in the early 1920s.

I took some DA and a cloth to the years of crud and was surprised to find the stock/HG is very solid with no cracks. The receiver is still in the white but now has a bit of a brown patina.

The bore is excellent, sharp and shiney.....That was a pleasant surprise.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The beech stock would be a Turkish replacement
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The beech stock would be a Turkish replacement
View Quote

I understand they were using beech as a replacement wood in 1918 (take-down disks started showing up around then too) plus the stock has the proper Oberndorf cartouches.

Beginning in 1917, walnut shortages necessitated the use of beech wood. The late war production beech stocks were less durable and heavier than the original walnut stocks. -Wiki
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I just checked my sn database.  That's been stolen from my old apartment.  contact me right away.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn went full auto to boot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I just checked my sn database.  That's been stolen from my old apartment.  contact me right away.  

View Quote

LOL....I'd really like to help out but I sold it in the parking lot to some ME looking guy....Sorry.

<inside GD joke guys>

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#9]
ah, traded for a bowl of falafels.   such is life.

I have run into a few of them around here gut they're usually thrashed and trashed.  Bad bad bores mostly.  You got a gem with a good bore AND a sound and good looking stock.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ah, traded for a bowl of falafels.   such is life.

I have run into a few of them around here gut they're usually thrashed and trashed.  Bad bad bores mostly.  You got a gem with a good bore AND a sound and good looking stock.
View Quote

I'm not a big fan of the late war beech stocks (too much "fish scale") but like you say they are usually ragged-out.

Yeah, the bore was a pleasant surprise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top