Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 3:31:50 PM EDT
Title says it all. I got in on the tail end of the cheap Mosin age, and I am just getting into Makarovs and the like this year. My father has a few K31 carbines he loves, which we got at a great price. What is the best buy these days? The P64 pistols? Tokarev pistols? Star model Bs? It doesn't seem like there are any good rifle deals out there right now. Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I snagged a star super B, figured at less than 300 it was a steal.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been looking at those Mosin M39's from Finland, just not sure with the 7.62x54R looking scarce.  I've already got the same problem with my K31...

Hking
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been looking at those Mosin M39's from Finland, just not sure with the 7.62x54R looking scarce.  I've already got the same problem with my K31...

Hking
View Quote

Where are these at?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#4]
M39's can be found at Classic.https://www.classicfirearms.com/
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I should have mentioned, I do have two M39s. I don't see them as a great value though, just because they command such a premium over the Russian models. I just love them. I bought one at a gun show, and it is in just splendid shape, for 330 about 2.5 years ago. My father and I also each picked up one of the M39s from Classic, I think for 350 each. They were in worse shape than my first, but still decent looking. I was satisfied with my purchase.

When I ask about the great value guns, I am mostly looking for investment type things. I have stockpiled a number of HK G3 mags, just because of the incredible price, for my PTR 91. I fully expect them to become as scarce as FAL mags as PTRs become more and more popular. We all know how cheap those FAL mags were a few decades ago.

I have 4 Mosins at this time, and I am looking forward to them going up in value too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
M1 Garands and M1 Carbines.  But they're not a buy cheap and stack deep kind of deal.  They're consistent with holding and increasing in value though.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately there are no deals in the C&R market like there used to be.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I snagged a star super B, figured at less than 300 it was a steal.....
View Quote

Super B is the C&R one?  Who sells those for sub $300???
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#9]
The super B isn't c & r. The model B is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hking
View Quote

If you are worried about ammo availability, you should stick to commerical guns. The reason why most C&Rs are considered C&R is because ATF determined then to have obsoleted caliber
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you are worried about ammo availability, you should stick to commerical guns. The reason why most C&Rs are considered C&R is because ATF determined then to have obsoleted caliber
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hking

Huh?  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I have several different flavors of the B series Stars (both C&R and non-C&R) and they are all a extremely great value for the money. They are underappreciated and can often be found in the $300.00 range or less.

Of the ones pictured I don't think I've paid more than $275.00 OTD for any of them though all were bought from LGSs or pawn shops. You have to look for them but the fun is in the hunt for me.

I even found a Star Model B spare parts bag and 9mm P barrel that Interarms used to sell along with a 9mm P complete slide.

The "compact" Star BKS shown was built from the ground-up as a lightweight 9mm P pistol with a aluminum frame and uses 9mm P sized mags and they are very hard to find....In six years it will be a C&R.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Huh?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hking

Huh?  

Other than the 50yr ATF rule, ATF puts heavy emphasis on caliber type determination when deciding what to specifically name on th C&R list, when its recently made firearm, I.E. CZ-82 qualifies because of the 9x18 caliber while the Cz-83 of same vintage in .380 does not when both had seen gov use. Only real difference is that 9x18 is a niche caliber while 380 is available in every mom and pop shop
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Other than the 50yr ATF rule, ATF puts heavy emphasis on caliber type determination when deciding what to specifically name on th C&R list, when its recently made firearm, I.E. CZ-82 qualifies because of the 9x18 caliber while the Cz-83 of same vintage in .380 does not when both had seen gov use. Only real difference is that 9x18 is a niche caliber while 380 is available in every mom and pop shop
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hking

Huh?  

That's news to me - first I've heard of "caliber" being a determinant of C&R status.  You're suggesting that the early AR-15's that are becoming C&R now will be blocked from becoming C&R because it's not a "niche caliber"?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's news to me - first I've heard of "caliber" being a determinant of C&R status.  You're suggesting that the early AR-15's that are becoming C&R now will be blocked from becoming C&R because it's not a "niche caliber"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hking

Huh?  

No. You are referring to the 50 year rule, which always applies. I am talking about the determinations ATF makes when placing  "younger than 50 years old" firearms on the C&R list. The CZ-82s example I gave have all been made in 80s and into early 90s but ATF made them C&R.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#16]
because some guy lobbied to have them put on.  How all Makarov PM's (all countries) are not on the C&R is beyond me...
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I think Bulgarian Makarov's are a good deal.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think Bulgarian Makarov's are a good deal.
View Quote

not c&r
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:01:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

+2
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

He said best and ill say k31 for $300 beats the rest
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Too bad a "nice" one goes for $450 now though...when I mean nice I mean reburbished and nice looking. Or not refurbished but not resembling a chew toy.

The only $300 K31's you'll find are those refurbished and re-beat up
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Too bad a "nice" one goes for $450 now though...when I mean nice I mean reburbished and nice looking. Or not refurbished but not resembling a chew toy.

The only $300 K31's you'll find are those refurbished and re-beat up
View Quote

Keep an eye on gander mountain. They've been popping up in stock for $300 the last few weeks.

I got a nice numbers matching walnut one last week.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Photos!! I love the walnut ones haha
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Understand BATF was petitioned to add the CZ-82 to C&R list due to the gun made in Czechoslovakia which ceased as a country in 1993.   Now split into Czech Republic and Slovakia.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top