Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2016 12:47:54 PM EDT
I'm going to go over there today, hopefully I can bring it out and at least get a few pictures of it. My Grandpa has an Arisaka that he himself found in a Japanese cave at the end of WWII. Just going off the numbers and probability I THINK it's a Type 99 but I could be wrong. Regardless of that I found a good deal online for some 7.7 Arisaka ammunition that I have already ordered.

Is it pretty obvious the difference between the T38 and T99, and what are some key traits that would help me determine if it's one or the other? Also while I read great things about the strength of the platform I've also read about people blowing up drill rifles not knowing they were so; drill/parade rifles will not have any rifling in the barrel correct? Any other key areas to inspect before trying it out on the range?

My Grandma, his wife of 68 years, just passed last week and he's not doing too good. I've always promised that we'd go out and shoot the Jap rifle as he knows I'm a gun guy, I figure he could use a distraction such as this right about now to get his mind on something else. Thanks in advance guys!

UPDATED FOR PICS

I'm no photographer so this is the best I can do. Most certainly is a Type 99 as it has the one gas vent hole. Has the AA sights but no monopod unfortunately (although it looks like there is an attachment for it under one of the barrel bands). And like most the Mum is gone.

Couldn't snap a photo of the bore but the rifling looks pretty good as does the chamber. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Type 38s are easy to distinguish from Type 99s using one feature - the number of gas relief holes in the receiver. If there's one, it's a Type 99. If there are two, it's a type 38.

School rifles are normally smooth bore, but not always. Most are Type 38s. They are generally marked with their assigned school marking on the receiver.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for pics and info.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
on the top of the receiver it reads from right to left Shiki kyu kyu for type 99
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#4]
It looks good to me, I'd fire it.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your Grandmother. Please tell your Grandfather thank you for his service.

My father still has the type 38 that my grandfather liberated from a guy that died for the Emperor during WWII. It still has the dust cover, the Mum and in beautiful condition. The bayonet was stolen years ago which really hurt my father emotionally. A few years back I bought a replacement and gave it to him at Christmas, the old man damn near cried. If you inherit it, I beg you to safe guard it and never sell it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifle and great opportunity to shoot it with your grandfather.  Take pics to remember!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#6]
What I want to do is get Grandpa on video holding the rifle on his chair, retelling the story about his time in the Navy and how he came across the rifle. A little after the end of the war he was on mainland Japan. Officer let the sailors go exploring under the condition that hey DO NOT go into the slew of caves in the area as many were booby trapped. Like any young man the first thing that his buddies and he did was go explore the caves lol! That's where he found it, along with a bunch of other goodies; a battle flag, a pistol, a sword and the rifle. I'm glad he snagged the rifle quite honestly.

He's 90 right now. I have yet to have any children but I intend to and I want to get a video specifically for their sake. I hear war stories second hand from my parents/grandparents about ancestors now passed but there's really no substitute for they actual persons voice telling the tale.

The rifle was stored in the basement for all these years yet it looks really good, surprisingly so! Since this Type 99 has the aircraft sight system does this make it an early model; one that possibly saw action before US involvement? My Grandfather never shot the thing, that's what makes this exciting for me as the last time this particular rifle was fired it was in the hands of an Imperial Japanese soldier. How cool is that!

And thanks for all the help on the rifle. Usually I take my time and research the weapon but I needed some answers fast.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He's 90 right now. I have yet to have any children but I intend to and I want to get a video specifically for their sake. I hear war stories second hand from my parents/grandparents about ancestors now passed but there's really no substitute for they actual persons voice telling the tale.

View Quote

Do this ASAP.  I wished I had done it with my Paternal Grandparents, now all those stories and the family history is gone forever.  I've tried to do it with my Maternal Grandmother, but she's 92 and her memory (sometimes on purpose) isn't very good.  She had a rough life and refuses, or claims to not remember, stories about her immigrating to the US.  Apparently it was kind of a grey area they exploited in the law which later led to the deportation of many individuals....60+ years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top