Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2016 5:36:15 PM EDT
I just bought an Egyptian contract FN49. It appears all original (all Serial numbers I can see are matching.

I started to break it down and inspect/clean it.
It was missing the sliding dust cover and the firing pin spring was broken. Those 2 parts are on order.
It has the 2 piece firing pin, so I guess that's a plus.

The barrel is dirty and dark (haven't cleaned it yet) and rifling is good until you get to the muzzle where its nearly non-existent.

I have ordered an NOS barrel in the correct caliber for a great price. I'll have to find a smith to do that job-

Anything you guys can tell me would be great.

It does have the proper Brass Disc with Egyptian writing as well as the brass buttplate.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Suposedly there was a heat treating problem.  Just don't fend off multiple human wave attacks in the extreeme cold and you should be fine.

Not sure if that is the case with the Egyptian rifles or not. Try to avoid this scenerio if you can though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Here:  Buy this book.  It will tell you everything you need to know.  

http://www.amazon.com/FN-49-Elegant-Old-World-Military-Rifle/dp/0970799721/ref=cm_cr_pr_pl_footer_top?ie=UTF8
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Ken Kubin (roach46) at Global Military Gunsmithing in Farmington Hills, MI did a wonderful job rebarreling the one I had. The previous owner got carried away with a chamber reamer.

Mine shot great with 196 gr. Yugoslav ('50's and '70's) surplus. 185 gr. Remington Core Lokts over IMR 4895 (forgot the charge weight) were also a joy to shoot. It looked great with the Belgian bayonet affixed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I regret not holding out for an 8mm with the brass disk.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the significance of the brass disk?
View Quote

Unit ID or rifle-specific information (pretty sure it's the former for the Egyptians).
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
So this rifle is the forerunner of the FN-FAL, correct?

BTW - nice rifles you fellas have; beautiful condition.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So this rifle is the forerunner of the FN-FAL, correct?
View Quote

Basically, yes. It's easy to see the transition with the tilting bolt, adjustable gas valve and short stroke piston. Other components- trigger, recoil spring assembly (similar in the para FAL's), and receiver design were changed substantially, to say nothing of the furniture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top