Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2016 9:42:48 PM EDT
Wondering if anyone else has this issue?

I haven't fired anything else to compare to, so i'm firing the Russian stuff, brass looks to be from 1977, berdan primed. When I finish firing and try to use the rod to knock out the brass it's impossible to get out with the rod. I have to use the edge of the wood seating bench and thrust the pistol forward having the edge of the 2x4 strike the rod which dislodges the brass.

I thought perhaps chambers, so I put some fine steel wool on a drill and went to town. They look smooth and shiny to me. I've tried making sure they had a light layer of ballistol...still no good.

What I 'suspect' is that since the brass extends past the chambers that when it is fired the brass that the very end is expanding just slightly beyond the width of the end of the chamber since its not supported there for like 1/8th of an inch. Thus making it harder to push out.

Is this common? any fix to it? if not then in war I imagine it was shoot 7 rounds then beat people to death with it, throw it at them and dump it for something better asap.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:19:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Good possibility. Should be able to see signs on the case, like scraping on the extracted case. That section of the case is actually supported by the inside of the barrel as the cylinder moves forward when fired. Surplus ammo which tends to be loaded rather hot, so it would be real easy for that to happen. You could try dissembling and cleaning the gun as there may be build up between the cylinder and the end of the barrel so it can not move completely forward allowing the case to expand between the barrel and cylinder. Also would give you a better chance to check for burs or any other obvious defects that could be causing it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]

What I 'suspect' is that since the brass extends past the chambers that when it is fired the brass that the very end is expanding just slightly beyond the width of the end of the chamber since its not supported there for like 1/8th of an inch. Thus making it harder to push out.
View Quote

This is usually the problem. barrel throat is too big.

Not much you can do...either live with it or sell the pistol and try a different Nagant.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not much you can do...either live with it or sell the pistol and try a different Nagant.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yea I'd rather figure it out, this ones MO marked and dual year stamped. So I like it not having seen many of these.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:54:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Try the Prvi/Hotshot stuff. My experience with Russian surplus (14-round cardboard boxes) was the same, it's hard to extract.  
The commercial stuff was easier.  
I keep a unsharpened pencil in my range bag for extraction.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Try the Prvi/Hotshot stuff. My experience with Russian surplus (14-round cardboard boxes) was the same, it's hard to extract.  
View Quote

That's a great idea. I'll have to try that. Going to pull it out tomorrow and investigate see if I can find a fix
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1. I think the russian stuff is a little hotter and that may be the reason for the brass expanding too much. I've never had an issue with Hotshot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top