Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2015 4:52:23 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me what the CAI import marking is on the Malaysian #5 imports of a couple years ago?

A local pawn shop has a #5 and it reads CAI, VT .303 United Kingdom on the right of the barrel.

It looks in much better shape that the recent imports so I was wondering if it was a earlier import.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Century Arms Intl. located in Vermont(VT). They're the importer and are required to mark the rifle with their information. Must be an older import if its stamped on the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Century Arms Intl. located in Vermont(VT). They're the importer and are required to mark the rifle with their information. Must be an older import if its stamped on the barrel.
View Quote

I know that.

I just need to know the particular CAI mark reads on the recent Malaysian #5 imports.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:18:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought mine from AIM when they had them.

It's marked, in a very small and neat dot matrix, on the underside of the barrel between the stock and bayonet lug.

Two lines that reads:

I. O. INC, MONROE, N. C.

ENFIELD NO. 5, MK1 UK, 303 BRIT.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine is one of the FMP marked guns.  Right side of the barrel is stamped

No 5 Mk I .303 U-King
CAI St ALB VT

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mine is one of the FMP marked guns.  Right side of the barrel is stamped

No 5 Mk I .303 U-King
CAI St ALB VT

View Quote

I think that is what I'm dealing with. I did not notice a FMP mark on the socket.

It's a later one with the metal cap on the forestock.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me what the CAI import marking is on the Malaysian #5 imports of a couple years ago?

A local pawn shop has a #5 and it reads CAI, VT .303 United Kingdom on the right of the barrel.

It looks in much better shape that the recent imports so I was wondering if it was a earlier import.

View Quote

ok spill it what did you pay for this mr good deals.. ?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know exactly what he payed for it... $75 that he actually got from trading a piece of dog crap for as always.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You know exactly what he payed for it... $75 that he actually got from trading a piece of dog crap for as always.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still pondering, the deal is supposed to take place on Tuesday.

I might just pass on it as it will be a straight-up trade and I would have about $350.00 in it if I do the deal.

I'm not really sure the Malaysian #5s are really worth it though this one is in a bit better shape than most I've seen pics of with a very good bore.

I had the handguard off to check for the cuts and see if there was any pitting at the wood line and it looked good in that regard.

I have a early #5 and just wanted a later one with the end cap to keep it company.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hahah you know i had to ask.. hahah too funny..
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I layed the #5 away instead of trading for it. I did the trade on a decent 1967 T-series High-Power.

As it happened the former owner was in the pawn shop today and I asked him when/where he bought it. He thinks it was in the late 80s or early 90s and he bought it at Woolworths. That made sense as the CAI import mark on it was when CAI was still in St. Albans, VT.

FYI......In November of  2000 CAI moved from St. Albans to their Georgia, VT location and started using the "dot-type" markings in 2002 according to a post from Apex Gun Parts over on Gunboards.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?285522-When-did-CAI-change-from-St-Albans-VT-to-Georgia-VT

I guess CAI did a importation of #5s prior to the more recent crop of Malaysian guns.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one of those early imports, I cannot remember which company I ordered it from back in the 90's (IIRC)
CAI import mark just behind the front sight, right side or the barrel,
not dot matrix, just a 2 lines of relatively small type,

good shape, metal cap on the stock,

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have one of those early imports, I cannot remember which company I ordered it from back in the 90's (IIRC)
CAI import mark just behind the front sight, right side or the barrel,
not dot matrix, just a 2 lines of relatively small type,

good shape, metal cap on the stock,

View Quote

Bingo, sounds like how the one I laid-away is marked.

It has a BD prefixed serial so I guess it's a BSA.  It also has the metal nose cap. You certainly won't mistake it for not being used but it's in pretty good shape. Even the matching fore-stock serial is still fairly crisp.

I was glad to find the Apex post over on Gunboards as it helps to date when some of the mil-surps were imported by CAI.

I knew the St. Alban, VT were earlier imports than the Georgia, VT CAI imports but never knew the year it changed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top