Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am most interested in this part of SOGs description:

If true, these are not Burns rifles and everything we have heard about the overseas availability of these rifles has been 100% BS.  I'm very curious to see the import marks on the SOG guns...

ETA: can't believe Classic sold out that quickly considering the folks who got some from Classic's first batch weren't wildly over the moon with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not that I would've bought from them anyways, but Classic quickly sold out of their second batch of M39s.  SOG still has them available for now.  They were only briefly out of stock and then added about 40 more minimum if it hasn't reset since.

These rifles have just arrived from the Finnish military arsenals, where they have been since the end of WWII. Condition is very good, both wood and metal.

If true, these are not Burns rifles and everything we have heard about the overseas availability of these rifles has been 100% BS.  I'm very curious to see the import marks on the SOG guns...

ETA: can't believe Classic sold out that quickly considering the folks who got some from Classic's first batch weren't wildly over the moon with them.

According to the rave reviews on Classics site, it sounds like everyone was absolutely elated with what they received...
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

According to the rave reviews on Classics site, it sounds like everyone was absolutely elated with what they received...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not that I would've bought from them anyways, but Classic quickly sold out of their second batch of M39s.  SOG still has them available for now.  They were only briefly out of stock and then added about 40 more minimum if it hasn't reset since.

These rifles have just arrived from the Finnish military arsenals, where they have been since the end of WWII. Condition is very good, both wood and metal.

Yeah, given classic's tendency to bullshit about supply and just about anything else, I would not be surprised if they filtered or even faked reviews.

Just thinking aloud but if the SOG guns are the start of a new supply, I wonder if Burns unloaded to Classic knowing that their monopoly on Finn mosins was about to end.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, given classic's tendency to bullshit about supply and just about anything else, I would not be surprised if they filtered or even faked reviews.

Just thinking aloud but if the SOG guns are the start of a new supply, I wonder if Burns unloaded to Classic knowing that their monopoly on Finn mosins was about to end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm aware Classic probably skewed the reviews. I'm also sure Burns knew about the upcoming import. Doesn't seem like SOG had an over abundance, though. At least not in this shipment.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I really doubt Burns knew anything about the SOG rifles.  Burns either kept the nicer ones and will start selling them again in the near future or all they had left were the rough ones.  Either way, I doubt the fact that Burns sold some rifles to Classic has anything to do with the SOG rifles.  I also wonder if the SOG rifles are new imports or just some m39's they had left over from a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I really doubt Burns knew anything about the SOG rifles.  Burns either kept the nicer ones and will start selling them again in the near future or all they had left were the rough ones.  Either way, I doubt the fact that Burns sold some rifles to Classic has anything to do with the SOG rifles.  I also wonder if the SOG rifles are new imports or just some m39's they had left over from a few years ago.
View Quote

Maybe they described them incorrectly, but from SOGs description these M39s are new imports.  I don't spend a lot of time on gun sites besides ARF but I'm surprised the SOG M39s aren't bigger news.  SOG isn't even blowing the horn about them.  If their description is correct that these came directly from Finish arsenals where they have been since WWII, that is pretty bigtime C&R news in my opinion.  I really hope they don't have a billboard on them which seems to have been the trend on imports recently.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Maybe they described them incorrectly, but from SOGs description these M39s are new imports.  I don't spend a lot of time on gun sites besides ARF but I'm surprised the SOG M39s aren't bigger news.  SOG isn't even blowing the horn about them.  If their description is correct that these came directly from Finish arsenals where they have been since WWII, that is pretty bigtime C&R news in my opinion.  I really hope they don't have a billboard on them which seems to have been the trend on imports recently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One posted on Gunboards has import from TGI on the barrel underneath the front sight.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw the one on Gunboards.  I'm guessing based on that import mark that these are not recent imports.  That rifle looked much better than any of the Classic rifles that I have seen posted.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw the one on Gunboards.  I'm guessing based on that import mark that these are not recent imports.  That rifle looked much better than any of the Classic rifles that I have seen posted.
View Quote

They probably realized this and are capitalizing on their reserve stocks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Received my SOG.  Sweet "fire" SAKO stock.  Interesting non-marked 1967 barrel with an AZF stamped receiver.  Quick pics, barely caught UPS.  When leaving he pulled up so I had to see what was in the box of course.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Received my SOG.  Sweet "fire" SAKO stock.  Interesting non-marked 1967 barrel with an AZF stamped receiver.  Quick pics, barely caught UPS.  When leaving he pulled up so I had to see what was in the box of course.

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad213/Jagrmaister/20150930_114710_zpsbhulxfxv.jpg
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad213/Jagrmaister/20150930_114656_zpse485g5bc.jpg
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad213/Jagrmaister/20150930_114742_zpsolfzfzml.jpg
View Quote

Is that a 1967!?  All the 60s and 70s ones that Pat Burns was selling went for bookoo bucks.  If that is 1960s dated you scored big time.

ETA- read your description which confirmed 1967.  I hate you!
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my SOG sale confirmation on Saturday but still no shipping notice.  I'm not complaining, SOG has always done me right.  They are one of the few companies that take handpick seriously.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is that a 1967!?  All the 60s and 70s ones that Pat Burns was selling went for bookoo bucks.  If that is 1960s dated you scored big time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad213/Jagrmaister/20150930_114710_zpsbhulxfxv.jpg
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad213/Jagrmaister/20150930_114656_zpse485g5bc.jpg
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad213/Jagrmaister/20150930_114742_zpsolfzfzml.jpg

This is the second late date to show up out of the batch. 2 for 2. Good chance there's more. Wish I would've ordered two, but bought too many toys as it is lately.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is the second late date to show up out of the batch. 2 for 2. Good chance there's more. Wish I would've ordered two, but bought too many toys as it is lately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be over the moon if mine winds up being a 60s or 70s rifle.  I'd give my left nut for one of those.  I'm not going to get my hopes up though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Someone on GB stated that they were told these had been buried in the warehouse for a long time and someone just remembered they had them.  I hope my 2 are no names.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 1967 dated M39 no maker. Paid $450 for it from Pat Burns about 3 years ago. A bit higher price, but I knew exactly what I was getting and the gun was in unissued condition. Bluing is at 100%. Even the bore had 100% bluing at the time meaning the gun was probably never fired. The wood also has no scratches or dings or dents in it.

Two downsides to the M39 in my opinion. I think the sights are terrible - very thick front blade with a small and shallow rear notch. I don't get why I keep seeing on the Internet that the M39 has superior sights. I find them far worse than the 91/30's sights. With irons only I can shoot the 91/30 better than the M39 due to the sights alone.

The second downside is that the M39 is built with old and recycled receivers and bolt parts. The bolt on mine was simply worn out - it had terrible lockup and a rough action. There was one instance when I even had gas blow back into my face. The two-stage trigger also did not work as designed. The trigger would break before it hit the wall, making it feel like a double action trigger. I had to replace the entire bolt, keeping the original bolt head of course since that controls the headspace.

Besides those two issues, the M39 is a fantastic rifle. I put a scout scope on mine just to test the accuracy since the  irons don't do it justice. This gun WILL shoot 1-1.5moa @ 100 yardswith a scope and surplus Russian 147gr light ball ammo.

This gun is scary accurate. Accuracy-wise, it is just as good if not better than the K31.

Congrats and good luck to all who managed to snatch one up recently!
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Two downsides to the M39 in my opinion. I think the sights are terrible - very thick front blade with a small and shallow rear notch. I don't get why I keep seeing on the Internet that the M39 has superior sights
View Quote

The 91/30 has improved sights over the 91.

The M39 uses pretty much the same sights as the M28-30 which are also an improvement over the 91.

Independent improvements over the old Konovalov sight.  I think the Finns were looking at Sweden's Mausers when the did the sights on the 28-30.  The progression from M91 to M28 to M28-30 to M39 seems to me like a "Mauserization" of their Mosins.

I do better with my M39 than I do with my 91/30, so it might just boil down to preference.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 2:16:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Got my Classic M39 yesterday. Paid extra for a SAKO since I've wanted one for a very long time. So a basic report.

Fairly pleased with overall appearance. No rust or exterior pits. Stock was darker than I'd dreamed but much nicer looking than some on this post.

First bad news came looking down the bore. DARK but "strong" rifling. No problem as I've seen tons of C&R bores when I had a C&R FFL. Pushing a dry patch through and it came out Rust Brown. But after my usual first treatment of Kroil and Outers foaming bore cleaner the patches stayed Rust Brown. On the 17th patch, which means 17th combo of Kroil/Foam, the only color on the patch was Rust Brown. In my 40 some years of collecting guns I have NEVER seen this happen and I thought I'd seen some awful bores.

I resorted to a desperate measure which I do not recommend anyone, liquid rust remover applied with a swab. More patches...still Rust Brown. Adrenilen is surging cause I'm getting irritated. I wrap that "Brillo Pad" stuff around a stainless steel bore brush and ram it down. Blast the crap off with Gun Blaster. Pull back and repeat then patch. Now a shine pops out.

Now I'm feeling better until I realize I missed something in the diversion of bore cleaning....the big "C" crack from the tang curling down forward to the rear receiver bolt!

Today an email comes from Classic wanting feedback.....I gave it to them! I await their response.

I could live with the bore now that I've worked on it. I admit I was really concerned when the rust would not stop coming out. It's a shame that a pretty decent M39 would have these issues for that kind of money.

Told Classic if they charged $100 less and sold them as Shooter Grade then my attitude right now would much more positive.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad213/Jagrmaister/20150930_114710_zps4kztznpw.jpg
View Quote

Intact Tsarist eagle on the receiver too. Nice!

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The M39 uses pretty much the same sights as the M28-30 which are also an improvement over the 91.

Independent improvements over the old Konovalov sight.  I think the Finns were looking at Sweden's Mausers when the did the sights on the 28-30.  The progression from M91 to M28 to M28-30 to M39 seems to me like a "Mauserization" of their Mosins.

I do better with my M39 than I do with my 91/30, so it might just boil down to preference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two downsides to the M39 in my opinion. I think the sights are terrible - very thick front blade with a small and shallow rear notch. I don't get why I keep seeing on the Internet that the M39 has superior sights

The M M28/30 and M39 sights themselves are certainly improvement in terms of construction and adjustability. The front post is just on the wide side.

Also, my rear notch might not be perfectly cut, which would mess up the sight picture. So it could boil down to minor workmanship imperfections too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/C5WWwLy.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad213/Jagrmaister/20150930_114710_zps4kztznpw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/C5WWwLy.png

Yep. he got a hell of nice rifle.  I'd be over the freaking moon with that one!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#21]
My SOG M39 is delivered!  I won't be able to see it until tomorrow, but I'll def post pics.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I received my M39 from SOG today.

Took it apart to inspect and clean it of the thick old grease.

Its a great condition, likely unissued since refurb 1941 VKT in a transitional spliced stock. Built on an antique receiver.

It was one of the 53R and has that marked on the barrel but import marked (TGI) under the barrel with 54R. It has some very small laser etched logos so I suspect it went to another country at some point where they incorrectly added the wrong 53R designation.

If it stops raining I'll take some pics today, if not some time over the weekend.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I received my M39 from SOG today.

Took it apart to inspect and clean it of the thick old grease.

Its a great condition, likely unissued since refurb 1941 VKT in a transitional spliced stock. Built on an antique receiver.

It was one of the 53R and has that marked on the barrel but import marked (TGI) under the barrel with 54R. It has some very small laser etched logos so I suspect it went to another country at some point where they incorrectly added the wrong 53R designation.

If it stops raining I'll take some pics today, if not some time over the weekend.
View Quote

Sounds great!  Looking forward to those pics!

I was hoping against hope that this batch was all 60s dated rifles but I guess not
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I too was hoping for something different like a PL marked m39 but I am really happy with what I got.

I have 2 Sako with one in a straight stock, 2 Sky also with one in a straight stock and one no name.

I needed a VKT and a B. If I was picking from a table full of VKTs, this one would have been one of my top choices.

I need to rain to stop so I can take some pics of this m39 and a VKT m27 I received on Monday.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Tell me what I got ARF, I'm not a Finn expert.  Overall I'm very happy, the rifle looks great.  It's a 1942 VKT in a Sako stock:

</a>" />

</a>" />

" />
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Missed antique by a year lol

" />
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Is the barrel plum/brown?  Also, it looks like the string for the hang tag is still attached to the trigger guard.  Nice feather duster!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:15:16 AM EDT
[#28]

See the "B" above VKT on the barrel shank? That indicates a Belgian made barrel.

Not sure what all the markings on the left side of the barrel mean.

The receiver has the Tsar's eagle intact, which is a nice touch since most of them were scrubbed by the Finns.

Looks like a post-war replacement stock.

If you take the barreled action out of the stock and check under the rear tang (see post above), you will see the year and arsenal that the receiver was made in.

I'd say you got yourself a nice one! The B barrel and intact Tsar's eagle are considered somewhat more desirable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

See the "B" above VKT on the barrel shank? That indicates a Belgian made barrel.

The receiver has the Tsar's eagle intact, which is a nice touch since most of them were scrubbed by the Finns.

If you take the barreled action out of the stock and check under the rear tang (see post above), you will see the year and arsenal that the receiver was made in.

I'd say you got yourself a nice one! The B barrel and intact Tsar's eagle are considered somewhat more desirable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is the barrel plum/brown?  Also, it looks like the string for the hang tag is still attached to the trigger guard.  Nice feather duster!
View Quote

Yes, barrel is plum.  Thanks for noticing that, I thought it might be rusting or something.  Never heard of a plum barrel.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Finally got the photos uploaded of the Finn.

The metal is in fine shape, with a solid action, and a great trigger pull.

The stock is OK - biggest problem is a fresh looking gouge on the right side, as shown.  
Was hoping for one of the beautiful leopard coloed stocks as shown in the ad, but sadly was not in the cards.

Overall, I'm pleased with the rifle, and am looking foward to trying it out.

What groups are people getting with these rifles?

Do they have 1/5 flyers, as the Mosins do?

And any info about it's history based on the SN and markings would be nice.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not getting fliers with mine.

My main problem at 100 yards is that I can barely see.  Getting old sucks.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#33]
You'll love your M39.  I picked one up in cherry condition from Gander Mountain 4 years ago.  They must have thought it was a plain Jane 91/30 as they sold me a B barrel with a WW 1 Era Westinghouse receiver for 150.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top