Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/13/2015 10:59:57 PM EDT
I ordered a Fin M39 from Classic Firearms yesterday - glad I did, as they were sold out this monring.

I should get it in this week, and will post some pictures.

Looking foward to getting it in.  350 seems like a good price for a Finn if it's in decent shape, and the video on Classic's web site make it look like they were in good shape.

It'll be interesting to compare it to my other two Mosins - a Hex, and a sniper version.  The hex has minute of German level accuracy, though I had some issues with the stock it was in, and it may shoot better now that that problem is fixed.

The sniper is very accurate - usual pattern is 4/5 in 1.5 inches at 100, with one out of the 5 opening the grouping up - a common occurance from what I've read.

Anyone else order one up?  Interested in seeing how mine (Valment) compares to the Sako ones, and to the hand select.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't order one from Classic since I already own 5 but I was seriously tempted. I also have a PU sniper though and my 41 Sako M39 routinely shoots equal or better groups despite it not having a scope. Enjoy your new M39, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
My hand select SAKO should arrive wednesday
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:40:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I wanted to order, but I'm pretty done with Classic. I'm sure there's some nice rifles in there...real nice, but I've been disappointed more than once with their "handpicked" firearms.  Now when spending on surplus, I judge handpick by their descriptions and I have yet to be wowed by them.  Good luck to the guys ordering. I hope you all receive true gems. I just couldn't stomach ordering a handpick at that price and potentially ending up with a cracked stock personally.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#4]
How bad was the shipping?  Finn collectors are very picky so it's a crap shoot buying sight unseen M39 at almost $400 that has been picked over by Pat Burns for many years. Whatever she didn't pick out, Mosincrate.com did as Classic let's them cherry pick their stock.  Hopefully in this case the $25 handpick actually means that Classic sorted out the ones with no wear and seeking then under handpick rather than just choosing the best turd out of 5 turds when the 6th one might actually be a cherry.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#5]
would love to see pictures when it arrives.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Sadly the handpick fee in a lot of places is a joke.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I only do handpick at SOG
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I figure for the extra $20-30 it's worth it to hand pick, as a C&R I'm not paying transfer fees. Might as well roll that value in a better chance of a pretty rifle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#9]
These selling so fast at Classic make me appreciate the once I got from Pat Burns that much more.  I paid something like $425 shipped but it's damn nice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#10]
there were 30 sako handpicks avail when i put one in my cart and at checkout time they were sold out. Probably that mosincrate place buying all of them
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought both a Sako and a VKT handpick. Ordered mine within a few minutes of receiving the blast figuring they would sell out quickly. Ironically I'd just registered my C&R with them a few days prior. Call it fate. I'm looking forward to it.
I don't know much about this burns crew but if they had 20k rifles 20 years ago and slowly sold them off, I can't imagine that they would actually spend the effort to cherry pick through 20k or even 5k. That's a ton to go through at once.
This shipment appears to have been about 1k maybe a little more. I'm curious just how many they (classic) purchased from them.

Also if vendor A is negotiating for the remaining stock, how would the crate or anyone else get their hands on them? As a businessman it would be absolutely stupid to sell any off to anyone else if you had any inkling you'd turn over 1k+ in just three days. I'd at least wait and see how the subsequent batches went before trying to package any deals to anyone else. It's all about profit, not profit sharing with some other business especially a competitor. Just my .02, I'm sure someone's gonna get the lemon, a few will get gems and everyone else something in the middle.
Most of us likely will be very happy with these and surely they will all only rise in value. Obviously some more than others.
That said hopefully I get a nice usable sling and both branded 1940 :-)
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess I shouldn't mention the $99/3 M39s back in the day should I?

Or the $69 M39s from Roses...

1968x2 (1 like new)

mint 1944 VKT

ahh....

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess I shouldn't mention the $99/3 M39s back in the day should I?

Or the $69 M39s from Roses...

1968x2 (1 like new)
mint 1944 VKT

ahh....

View Quote

You could but 20 years from now those of us that missed collecting between 1950-1995 will be saying "remember when we picked up those burns rifles for only $350 :-).
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I bought both a Sako and a VKT handpick. Ordered mine within a few minutes of receiving the blast figuring they would sell out quickly. Ironically I'd just registered my C&R with them a few days prior. Call it fate. I'm looking forward to it.
I don't know much about this burns crew but if they had 20k rifles 20 years ago and slowly sold them off, I can't imagine that they would actually spend the effort to cherry pick through 20k or even 5k. That's a ton to go through at once.
This shipment appears to have been about 1k maybe a little more. I'm curious just how many they (classic) purchased from them.

Also if vendor A is negotiating for the remaining stock, how would the crate or anyone else get their hands on them? As a businessman it would be absolutely stupid to sell any off to anyone else if you had any inkling you'd turn over 1k+ in just three days. I'd at least wait and see how the subsequent batches went before trying to package any deals to anyone else. It's all about profit, not profit sharing with some other business especially a competitor. Just my .02, I'm sure someone's gonna get the lemon, a few will get gems and everyone else something in the middle.
Most of us likely will be very happy with these and surely they will all only rise in value. Obviously some more than others.
That said hopefully I get a nice usable sling and both branded 1940 :-)
View Quote

Well funny because each pallet box in Classic's video is clearly labaled with  "VKT" "Sako" "No antique" etc....

MosinCrate is a small time re-seller fairly local to Classic. He's is know to cherry pick their stocks be it refurbs or Finns looking for the rare stuff he can flips.  He only buys 20-80 rifles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:47:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Why do I miss these things....
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:04:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well funny because each pallet box in Classic's video is clearly labaled with  "VKT" "Sako" "No antique" etc.... - not sure what you're trying to convey here. So they were marked?

MosinCrate is a small time re-seller fairly local to Classic. He's is know to cherry pick their stocks be it refurbs or Finns looking for the rare stuff he can flips.  He only buys 20-80 rifles. pretty much stupid businessmen then if you ask me, unless since they are fairly local to classic its a scratch their back now to get mine scratched later type thing.
View Quote

either way...doesn't matter, I'm sure we're not going to get dogs and most will be happy with them, at least those of us that actually shoot them. From the videos it looks like majority were rather nice looking from what I could tell. Hopefully I've not jinxed myself and end up with the cruddiest one in the bunch
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

either way...doesn't matter, I'm sure we're not going to get dogs and most will be happy with them, at least those of us that actually shoot them. From the videos it looks like majority were rather nice looking from what I could tell. Hopefully I've not jinxed myself and end up with the cruddiest one in the bunch
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well funny because each pallet box in Classic's video is clearly labaled with  "VKT" "Sako" "No antique" etc.... - not sure what you're trying to convey here. So they were marked?

MosinCrate is a small time re-seller fairly local to Classic. He's is know to cherry pick their stocks be it refurbs or Finns looking for the rare stuff he can flips.  He only buys 20-80 rifles. pretty much stupid businessmen then if you ask me, unless since they are fairly local to classic its a scratch their back now to get mine scratched later type thing.

What I was trying to point out was that....yes all guns Burns had were sorted out before the common ones were sold to Classic then themosincrate cherry picked what was left.

Judging by themosincrates posted M39 inventory now available, Pat didn't leave much behind. An "AZF" marked receiver is the only less common M39 that Alden was able to pick up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone receive yet? Mine wont come until Thursday.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine is scheduled to arrive Wednesday, but I won't be able to take it home until Thursday....
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine should arrive tomorrow Wednesday. We should all take pictures and post them to see what we have and learn more about them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mine is scheduled to arrive Wednesday, but I won't be able to take it home until Thursday....
View Quote

I just get UPS to hold it so I can pick it up same day as no one is home to sign for it otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I just get UPS to hold it so I can pick it up same day as no one is home to sign for it otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No C&R here, so it will go to my FFL, and then the one day waiting period until I can pick it up...
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#24]
There are few reports of guns received on Gunboards now.....all of them with busted stocks
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

There are few reports of guns received on Gunboards now.....all of them with busted stocks
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm seeing mixed results. Some of the bad ones I've seen I wouldn't even look at except for parts. This is my first time ordering from these guys, hoping hand select makes a difference. Though I'm sure it's best of the five to ten they have within reach which I don't really consider that a true hand select.
Guess I'll know tomorrow. Hopefully it won't turn out to be a test of their customer service.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#27]
received mine from Classic. a cracked stock and a counterbore. Not what I had expected for hand select.

The Sako - cracked stock near tang, damn nice bore though, looks brand spanking new.
SAKO PICS

The VKT - darned if its not counterbored. but damn it again, has a nice wartime stock. :-(
VKT PICS

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#28]
sad to see so many falling for Classic's hype and lies and getting stung
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#29]
http://imgur.com/RVSBAz7
http://imgur.com/bNo7mPI
http://imgur.com/B3WnSF7

1944 SA marked Sako. Tiny crack behind tang but hardly noticeable. I included the photo for comment. Great blueing. I'm pleased.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#30]
How does one know if their m39 is an "antique receiver"
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

1944 SA marked Sako. Tiny crack behind tang but hardly noticeable. I included the photo for comment. Great blueing. I'm pleased.
View Quote

did you do hand select?
just about EVERY SINGLE HAND SELECT  has a cracked stock
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I did hand select, but that crack is very minimal. The stock a beauty, so a tiny crack isn't a big deal. A solid first m39 to the collection in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I did hand select, but that crack is very minimal. The stock a beauty, so a tiny crack isn't a big deal. A sold first m39 to the collection in my opinion.
View Quote

it will be fine if you dont shoot it. They tend to spread under recoil.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Not a huge issue. There will be more down the road for shooters. In fact, it's so small I'm sure it wouldn't be severely spread by some range sessions. It was about getting a model into the collection, so I'm pleased. I got t53's I can wear out shooting.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#35]
just don't complain about classic on gunboards. Place is censored up tight. Got two infractions just commenting in the m39 thread.. happens when classic is the boards sponsor.

fuck it.. they can ban me.. place isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, the gunboard scam is messed up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#37]
I stayed away. The $ vs description of cracked stocks being included with hand select, that combined with my own previous mixed experiences with Classic, all added up to waiting for something else to come along. A couple beauties have been shown around the net, but mostly disappointment at this stage of the game. How Classic could even send some of these out as hand select is beyond me and only further reinforces why I've been avoiding them on several of their recent offerings when in the past I'd have submitted the order.  Best of luck to the rest of you still waiting for your rifles.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thoughts gentlemen?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
just don't complain about classic on gunboards. Place is censored up tight. Got two infractions just commenting in the m39 thread.. happens when classic is the boards sponsor.

fuck it.. they can ban me.. place isn't worth it.
View Quote

Don't get between Vic and his paycheck, Gunboards is "for profit" where the sponsorship fees aren't there to just pay for the forum.  I been on his hit list ever since the SPG $156 shipped x54r crates in "AIM suplus' " forum and he let me know at every opportunity LOL

For those that receive crap gun early consider yourself lucky and get RMA from Classic immediately. Seems for the time being their will take cracked guns back but I predict this will not last as more and more people will ask to take them back.  As matter of fact it might be too late and Classic just announced in their second video that they consider stock with huge cracks "standard grade".  That was no doubt their attempt to cover their ass.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#40]
I would not be happy with a cracked stock for $350. That's all I'll say about this.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#41]
1943 Sako non hand select
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#42]
jeez happy i stayed away
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
1943 Sako non hand select
View Quote

outch that's way too many repairs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Does this mean that Pat has finally liquidated her pile and Classic has picked it up?

Or does this mean that Pat has purged the worst of her pile onto them?

Or something else?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Damn, that's a lot of repairs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Damn, that's a lot of repairs.
View Quote

Yeah, that's pretty crazy. I don't think I'll be thrilled if mine looks like that, but I think that's kinda cool in a way.

I bet that rifle could tell some pretty crazy stories.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#47]
There's a Gunboards thread about these with pics, and in general guys are not happy with what they paid vs what they received.  One person said that he watched Pat's site daily for years and the quality of rifles has gone downhill.  She may have reached the bottom of the barrel and purged her remaining stock.  A lot of these guns will be returned or show up on gunbroker at cheaper prices.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#48]
I was traveling when these went on sale. I was disappointed I missed them. Now I am glad I missed them. I would be mad as hell to pay this much and get a gun with a cracked stock I can't shoot.

Rather pay a bit more and get one on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Mine should be here next week.  It'll be a bummer if the stocks are crap - certainly not what that fat man in the Classic video was leading you on about, but we shall see.

I have a Promag stock that I can always put it in if stock has too many Russian teeth marks on it.  

How are they looking in terms of the action?  Any rust?  Nicks and dings on the metal too, or is the firearm part in good shape?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#50]
nice wartime stock though. if all the joints are done properly and are good, tight and sealed it sure does tell a been there/done that story.
whats on your tang?
Hows the rifling?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top