Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2015 3:47:28 PM EDT
ok so I bought one from cabelas last summer and I enjoy shooting it but I dislike the sights on it. Their pretty much like mosin sights and I like to use this rifle for critter hunting and the sights don't make it to easy. So I looked around about mounting a scope and I know the rails are abit smaller then normal, but I can't find any rings that work! I've tired 3 rim fire rings including a pair of 60$ Leopolds the guy at cabelas said would work, so what the heck do I do! I'm either going to take a grinder to some rings to try to get them tighter or go get the rifle drilled and tapped but I really don't wanna spend how ever much that costs on a 99$ rifle. So any help,opinions,suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not drill and tap the rifle. Even though you bought it for $99, the market value is $200-$300.

File the cheap mounts to fit the more expensive rifle. Not the other way around.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got these on mine and an old Weaver V22 scope.

http://www.kwiksitecorp.com/p-290-1-non-see-thru-grooved-receiver-mount.aspx
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I like this idea. Or you could trade/sell and get a nice modern 22 easily scoped for the M69's value.
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not drill and tap the rifle. Even though you bought it for $99, the market value is $200-$300.

File the cheap mounts to fit the more expensive rifle. Not the other way around.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok so what other scope rings could work? Because there's a lot of people saying different rings and the rail is 8mm
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
dont bastardize this rifle, sell it to someone who will appreciate it as it is, and buy a rifle already set up how you need it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok my question was how to mount a scope and what scope rings will work. Drilling is last resort but this rifle has no collectibility its a shooter thats it and more impotence its MINE, so unless you have advice on mounting a scope you dont need to post
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok my question was how to mount a scope and what scope rings will work. Drilling is last resort but this rifle has no collectibility its a shooter thats it and more impotence its MINE, so unless you have advice on mounting a scope you dont need to post
View Quote

Gee, since you are asking so nicely and since you are on a c&c forum.....

Most people here will advise you not to alter the rifle.  Sure you paid $99 but why do something permanent to make sure it remains a $99 or less rifle?

I have a scope mounted on mine with altered rings. I will post some pics later today.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I've read that it was not a scope rail at all, it was for a iron sight like what was on the CZ type Romanian training rifles.

I did put a set of older Millett rimfire rings (tall) on mine and it worked fine. I ended-up removing it though. Much preferred the irons.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just going to point out that YES, the rifle DOES have value to collectors. It is still a military rifle, and while it is a shooter, it is also a collectable. That being said, you did not need to get defensive with us giving you advice on the Curios & Relics. Our aim is to preserve originality that does not permanently alter a collectable.

Sure, I agree it is YOUR rifle to do with as you please, but that mentality is why there are so many bubba rifles that no one really wants.

You want to mount a scope to it. Well the truth is that the rail on the receiver is not a scope rail, so some will be able to fit a mount sort-of. Another member will post some pictures of one he did.

You want to drill and tap it, go for it, no one will stop you. To be honest though, you would have better luck selling the rifle as is, and buying a decent .22 that has a dedicated scope rail.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm sorry about being an ass but I was just getting frustrated because I've looked at so many sites to find an answer then I come here and most of the responces I get are just telling me not to go get it drilled.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm sorry about being an ass but I was just getting frustrated because I've looked at so many sites to find an answer then I come here and most of the responces I get are just telling me not to go get it drilled.
View Quote

What did you expect?  This is a C&R forum, the members that post here like to preserve these guns in their original state.  If you really want to start drilling on one, go to a gunsmithing forum.  Good luck either way.  Also, I would recommend putting a WTT ad up on either this forum or your local ones and just get a .22 that is already set up for your needs.  Trust me, someone will trade you a good .22 with a scope rail for it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Sell the rifle and use the money to buy a modern .22 that will come set up the way you want. Don't destroy the originality of the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I wanted to get this posted sooner but I had a family function.

No need to apologize or be frustrated, I think the goal of the members here has been to help you appreciate what you have. Just because you paid a low amount does not make it a junker or beater. Man, I wish I would have bought more K98s when I was getting them for $125 same goes for the rest of my collection. Others will tell you the same. I made the mistake of messing with one of my milsurps when I was young and dumb, I regret it. Now I try to restore them when I can pick them up cheap. You are still "free" enough in this country to do what you choose with your property.

As promised, I will show you how I got a scope on mine. Let me start by saying this is not the best way. It is cheap, easy and effective. It has never fallen off or came loose.

First here is an overall shot. I am leaving the pics big so you can study them.

Mine is a 1980 dated one. I used a Chinese Red Star 4x20 Scope I got back in the early 90s. It has a three post reticle and reminds me of shooting my PU sniper. The rings are a cheap set of Chinese aluminum ones.

Now the how I did it. Going slowly is the key. Check fit, file and check, over and over. Because they were aluminum a regular metal file will do. Maybe a dremmel but you can remove too much to fast. The idea is to remove enough from the slanted side of the ring to get the clamp to tighten on the smaller rail. You might also have to contour the "biting" area to fit into the rail. That's about it. Things to keep in mind are the bolt throw, so it does not hit the scope or rings and the ejection pattern.

As to where to find these rings, I don't think they were even $15. I would try gun shows, amazon, ebay, maybe airsoft suppliers, or any other place that sells cheap Chinese parts and accessories. You might be able to adapt another style of rings, this is just what I did. If you can find rings that the tightening screw can be completely removed they will work best to get a straight surface.

I can tell you set up like this I can out shoot my friends sporting .22 and can make hits easily out to at least 100 yards.

If you absolutely can not find any, I can dig in my parts bins and see if I have some that will work. I hope this gives you some ideas to help you out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Do you think Walmart would have aluminum rings? I have a pair I was planning on filing but their steel so that would take awhile
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know what evil walmart stocks in your area it seems it varies from region to region. If you think the set you have will work use them, unless they are horribly expensive or so.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Their not expensive but they are steel so they'd be more difficult to file down but I'll give it a shot.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wanted to get this posted sooner but I had a family function.

No need to apologize or be frustrated, I think the goal of the members here has been to help you appreciate what you have. Just because you paid a low amount does not make it a junker or beater. Man, I wish I would have bought more K98s when I was getting them for $125 same goes for the rest of my collection. Others will tell you the same. I made the mistake of messing with one of my milsurps when I was young and dumb, I regret it. Now I try to restore them when I can pick them up cheap. You are still "free" enough in this country to do what you choose with your property.

As promised, I will show you how I got a scope on mine. Let me start by saying this is not the best way. It is cheap, easy and effective. It has never fallen off or came loose.

First here is an overall shot. I am leaving the pics big so you can study them.
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b634/r76239/20141208_163716_zps2zyslqxk.jpg

Mine is a 1980 dated one. I used a Chinese Red Star 4x20 Scope I got back in the early 90s. It has a three post reticle and reminds me of shooting my PU sniper. The rings are a cheap set of Chinese aluminum ones.
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b634/r76239/20150620_221929-1_zps3hjqtcj5.jpg

Now the how I did it. Going slowly is the key. Check fit, file and check, over and over. Because they were aluminum a regular metal file will do. Maybe a dremmel but you can remove too much to fast. The idea is to remove enough from the slanted side of the ring to get the clamp to tighten on the smaller rail. You might also have to contour the "biting" area to fit into the rail. That's about it. Things to keep in mind are the bolt throw, so it does not hit the scope or rings and the ejection pattern.

As to where to find these rings, I don't think they were even $15. I would try gun shows, amazon, ebay, maybe airsoft suppliers, or any other place that sells cheap Chinese parts and accessories. You might be able to adapt another style of rings, this is just what I did. If you can find rings that the tightening screw can be completely removed they will work best to get a straight surface.

I can tell you set up like this I can out shoot my friends sporting .22 and can make hits easily out to at least 100 yards.

If you absolutely can not find any, I can dig in my parts bins and see if I have some that will work. I hope this gives you some ideas to help you out.
View Quote

When I had my M69 a decade or so ago that's what I did. Used a pair or cheap aluminum Tasco or Simmons rings. Worked fine, I'm sure steel would have been stronger but harder to work with. After mounting (and quite a bit feed ramp polishing for function) it shot pretty good. I ended up deciding a commercial .22 was better for my needs and it went away. It needed to be cycled "vigorously" to eject and feed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#18]
The big issue with rings is some of the later 1980's M1969's recvr top rib has no under cut for tip off rings to grasp and the earlier ones that do vary alot and take trial and error to find workable rings.....

Another vote for leave as is and sell for profit and than buy something more suitable for scoping.....

I had 15 of these things at one time, probably the best surplus deal in the last 20 yrs as they could be had for about $35 if you did a big group buy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I never had any issues with the irons on mine, I think the are well thought out for a little .22. I mostly scoped mine to shoot while my PE and PU are cooling off. With the same reticle it keeps my head in the game and it's just damn fun to shoot. Eley and green tag ammo are amazing through it.

Between two friends and myself I have access to three. Never had a feeding or bolt problem. All of us are using original mags not repos so maybe that is it. I have had one that the bolt would release during the throw. It had a lot of cosmo in the release lever and a cleaning fixed it.

I really can't bring myself to buy a modern commercial .22 just too much $$$$. Although I like the takedown Ruger 10/22. The cost will get me another full caliber surplus rifle or pay a good amount of one.

Mostly I posted to help the op not do something he might regret later, and I think it would be a lot cheaper than having a gun smith who has probably never worked on a M-69 monkey with it.

If I had one of the versions with very little rail for the rings to bite, I would live with it and give the irons another try. They are very effective and easy to use. In fact the would be great for new shooters, kids etc. to learn on, as was the intention of this rifle.

Sometimes the best is the enemy of good enough.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Dang tangeant, I wish I knew about them when they were $35. I happily paid $59 out the door for mine. Either way for what they are I think they were one of the best deals in a while. Truly an underestimated rifle. A fully useable bolt action mag fed .22 at cheap bb gun prices.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#21]
When I bought M69, someone, probably SOG, was selling rings for them too.  I bought them when I bought the rifle.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine came with no grooves just the t shape.
I took a tri angular file and ground the teeth off of one face and went to town.  
Threw a bit of cold blue on it when done.
Then I used Millette 22 rings which clamp from both sides so no need to have exactly the right width.  
Turns out my 69 is no more accurate with the scope as with out.  
Wish a 10 round magazine could be found for them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top