Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2015 12:45:39 PM EDT
I have all the parts to build a Mannlicher-Steyr rifle (not carbine) except for the barrel.

After failing for years to find a replacement barrel for the rifle (not the carbine) I am toying with the idea of a replacement made to identical contours except in 7,62X54R.  The Russian round fits fine in the mag.  It has nearly the same pressure....only a very slight difference.  And it is plentiful.

The barrel is 30.25 inches from muzzle to breach.  

Where can I get one of these made that isn't going to cost and arm and a leg?

FYI, neither a Mosin barrel nor a Brit .303 barrel will fit because of the threading.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#1]
McGowen, Lothar Walther
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything along those lines will be a custom turned barrel, so it will not be cheap.

As far as who can do it? Any company that offers custom barrel profiles will be able to cut what you need.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If you find a place please let us know. I have a Ross mk2 action I'd love to throw a barrel on and build up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#4]
PacNor and Krieger also.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#5]
It'll probably run you $4-500 on the top end.  A fellow I work with had a custom barrel made for a M1917 in .416 or something like that.  It can be done manually by a good smith with the proper barrel blank and lathe.  The profiling, chamber reaming, and threading is relatively easy. Thats's just labor.  (check youtube, there's some good videos on the how its done)  Some shops (even bigger ones) may shy away from it, the thing that can be tough to do is the rifling for odd bore dimensions. Often times they have to have a one-off custom tool made if they've never done that size before.  That adds to the cost and its something they may likely never use again.  

Heck, since Mark Larue is in the barrel making business now ask him if if LT would do it.    But seriously, there's probably somebody out there that'll do it for you, but its not going to be cheap.  Call some places in the posts above and check what they'll do for you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top