Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2015 7:06:49 PM EDT
I went to the gun show the other day just browsing around when I came across a table with 3 Mosin M44 carbines. Being that I have been wanting a WW2 short rifle I had to take a look. All 3 of them were dated 1945 and looked pristine. I found it odd that all of them had been cleaned so well and asked the guy behind the counter if I could check the bores. He cut the zip ties and low and behold all of them had a immaculate bore not a sign of gunk and furthering this the chambers were also perfect and clean. At closer glance on the bolts I noticed they all had been cleaned and lubed with what looked like a anti seize copper lube used on out of the box guns like Glocks. I asked the man if he had cleaned them and he told me that they all came in the same shipment this way. Anyways, of course I had to buy one and picked the best looking stock out of the bunch and walked out with is for $240.

I am not that great with Mosin identification but think it is a Tula? All the numbers are matching with a nice ugly PW Arms Import stamp and the trigger pull and bolt operate better than my Finish M39! Very happy with my new purchase.

Pictures are kinda blah not very good lighting right now.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
No, it's an Izhevsk. Arrow in Triangle.

Tula is an arrow inside a star.

I like the "Hunting Carbine" box.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, it's an Izhevsk. Arrow in Triangle.

Tula is an arrow inside a star.

I like the "Hunting Carbine" box.
View Quote

Well that makes since thought it was a Tula because I looked up the name on the box and it said Tula. Maybe they just export them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I like it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#4]
These were a beautiful lot of rifles, like their PU's. (Tulsky Zavod exports)
You got a winner right there.
Wartime stock to boot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice score!

Mine is also a 1945 Izhevsk. A buddy of mine gave it to me for helping him move. It is a lot of fun to shoot, but I needed to add a recoil pad and a cheek pad:

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
What makes me wonder the most is who cleaned it up. This is one of the first mosins I have ever seen cleaned like this including having packing grease like that of new guns (that copper style like you get on new Glocks). Like I said I asked the store clerk and he said the entire shipment from PW Arms importer came all cleaned up and  ready to go. I wonder if they now are trying to make them more presentable for sale before exporting them. It even came with a manual printed by the Tula arms company.

Also wondering if I paid to much I was kinda caught up in the moment and $240 sounded good to me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#7]
You did ok on the price. Not a smokin' deal, but a good gun show price. These and the M38's especially have gone way up in the last 6 or 7 years.  The days of $59 (when you buy 5 or more) Mosin carbines is well behind us.
Buy as much ammo as you can right now. It isn't going to get any cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks good I have a 46 but I can't remember off the top of my head where it was made.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#9]
If you read the old post I had a few things wrong and some things right.

Its a TULA (Tulsky Oruzheiny Zavod) export M44 Hunting Rifle. Not a whole lot is known about what they do or do not do to these rifles prior to Export. Many can agree that they have been force matched in many cases as well as some repairs made. Mine in particular has what looks like trigger work done on it as the metal on in and around the leaf spring and top of the trigger has all been polished. All the parts on my rifle have been reassembled using a copper lubricant. Now when it comes to barrels I am not sure whether or not they replace them as mine looks like it may have not been issued but there are some rumors out there of people getting mosins with chrome lined barrels.

Either way I am very happy with it and will enjoy it for what it is regardless of the some what sketchy history.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#10]
What makes you say it is a "hunting rifle for export."

The M44 was made for mil use and refurbed for later mil use.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#11]
It is so it can be exported from Russia as a "sporting rifle" for "sporting porposes."
Quoted:
What makes you say it is a "hunting rifle for export."

The M44 was made for mil use and refurbed for later mil use.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I miss mine.  That's a nice example.

Izhevsk, wartime stock, etc.  Nothing in the pictures that makes it rare, but just a nice, clean carbine.

Love it!

Josh
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
How can you tell it's a wartime stock?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How can you tell it's a wartime stock?
View Quote

No metal thingys where the sling does (and a half one in the front).  Pre war stocks have screws in the rear sling metal thingy and post war stocks have no screws in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top