Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2015 3:59:09 PM EDT
Passed down from my father. I do not know when he acquired it. I see no import marks on it. I'm looking for the caliber of it and what it was issued/used for. I did some Google searching and found limited info as to date ranges and actual use for. Any help appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
What you have is a beautiful Venezuelan FN Model 24/30 in 7x57 (7mm Mauser).

As for use, my guess would be mostly guard duty and limited firing range time based on the condition.

It should be an excellent shooter, as 7mm is a superbly accurate cartridge with a very mild recoil.

Enjoy your beautiful heirloom!

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Beautiful rifle, your father chose wisely.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beautiful rifle, your father chose wisely.
View Quote

Yes he did!
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Small ring?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Small ring?
View Quote
Nope, the 24/30 is a large ring mauser.

You can see in the first picture how the receiver becomes a larger diameter at the barrel threads/chamber area, instead of keeping the same profile as the rest of the receiver.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info. Time to find some ammo and see how she does.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Been searching the auction websites to get a quick value and it seems that these don't show up too much. It'll be something I stash away for my son to get one day.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Lucky you have it and are wiilling to keep it whole.

If I had it and it looked as good under the stock line

I'd tear it apart
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#9]
nice crest. I really like the crest they use to put on different countries orders.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't the floorplate and trigger guard look replaced?
Much nicer finish than the rest of the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Receiver is in the white ( polished metal ).

Not a uber rare rifle. Fairly common SA Mauser to come across in near new condition as Thousands were imported in the 60's.

OP's rifle has seen some issue use, sling keeper dents in stock , receiver cleaned up with steel wool. Good shooter grade one and 7mm LR Mausers are a pleasure to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't the floorplate and trigger guard look replaced?
Much nicer finish than the rest of the rifle.
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I finally found the time to take this to the range. It put a smile on my face when the first shot rang the steel at 300. I wish my dad could see this old thing work like new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top