Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 12:03:30 PM EDT
He purchased this through the NRA/DCM back in the 60s. I think he paid $20 for it. He got the scope from someone on his pistol team, and traded him a box of .30 cal if I remember right. I'm not a member of the CMP forums, so hopefully yall can give me some insight.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!

Something about the scope mount looks off, other than the steel shims missing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The M84 scope is a common replacement for the original Weaver 330Cs, which were quite fragile. Nice rifle with lots of stories to tell.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good.  Since your dad installed the scope I think that would explain the possible repro mount and rings.  The M84 scope would be correct for a 50's re-arsenal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
He got the M84 scope and redfield mount from a guy he shot with on the all Army team in the 60s. My dad was one of very few officers that was allowed to shoot competition. So I have an idea of the story behind the rifle. Can you still request info about the gun from the CMP?

I'm tempted to join the CMP forums just to see what everyone there can tell me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Does he/you still have the sales papers or even the box? Is everything blued except receiver, barrel and safety?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes he still has all the paperwork, but no box. And everything else is blued.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Its garbage....send it to me....

Frickin' cool gun!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Extra cool.

The story is your Dad clipped a coupon out of the American Rifleman and sent in his paperwork to purchase a M1903A3 from the DCM. Having a really nice guardian angel and living in a field of four-leaf clover, he is one of the lucky ones that got an M1903A4 instead. They were shipped out sans scope. If all the parts are blued except the receiver, barrel and safety, then there's a really good chance it's not been overhauled and could have been unissued prior to sale. Many of the M1903A3s that came out of the 60s DCM/NRA purchase opportunity apparently went straight from manufacture to storage and were then surplussed and sold.

Is there an OG stamped on the left side of the butt?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:08:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Extra cool.

The story is your Dad clipped a coupon out of the American Rifleman and sent in his paperwork to purchase a M1903A3 from the DCM. Having a really nice guardian angel and living in a field of four-leaf clover, he is one of the lucky ones that got an M1903A4 instead. They were shipped out sans scope. If all the parts are blued except the receiver, barrel and safety, then there's a really good chance it's not been overhauled and could have been unissued prior to sale. Many of the M1903A3s that came out of the 60s DCM/NRA purchase opportunity apparently went straight from manufacture to storage and were then surplussed and sold.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Extra cool.

I don't recall seeing it but then again I wasn't looking for it. I'll check next time in at my dad's house. Would that mean it's a rebuild?  I'm curious what this thing is worth. Just so I can tell my dad. There is not a chance this will ever be sold as long as I'm alive.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't recall seeing it but then again I wasn't looking for it. I'll check next time in at my dad's house. Would that mean it's a rebuild?  I'm curious what this thing is worth. Just so I can tell my dad. There is not a chance this will ever be sold as long as I'm alive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Extra cool.

When these saw rearsenal work the name of the shop was stamped on the butt stock.  My a4 has RAI/EB rebuild mark on left side of butt stock, overhauled at Rock Island between 1947 and 1958.

Many variables on value but around 2.5K+/-..  The rifle appears to be pretty much "correct".  A "original" a4 with full documentation just sold on Gunbroker for near $10K.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Instead of nitpicking, I think I will just drool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top