Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2015 2:17:47 AM EDT
I came across this Arisaka while poking around on of the local gun stores and from what I've read its a Tokyo Kogyo series 30. Its also missing all the small stuff but I just really like this one. I was able to pick up some ammo at a gun show recently so I'll be shooting it soon. Here are some bad phone picks, any thoughts on the bottom metal to keep it from getting worse?

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:12:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Think I have heard of bronze wool being used, but confirm that before you do.  Nice rifle.  How much did the ammo run?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks pretty typical for Type 99 condition. They tend to be rough.

Yours still has the aircraft wings on the rear sight, so not all of the early bits are gone.

For small patches of rust I tend to use Kroil and a nickel. For bigger patches, bronze wool and Kroil is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yours still has the aircraft wings on the rear sight, so not all of the early bits are gone.

For small patches of rust I tend to use Kroil and a nickel. For bigger patches, bronze wool and Kroil is the way to go.
View Quote

This.

That rifle was made in Hiroshima,  btw.  The circle with two lines is the Hiroshima Arsenal marking, made under contract and supervision of Tokyo Kogyo.  That's a nice series to start with, only 35th and 37th are harder to find.  It will shoot great and I promise it will be one of your favorite rifles.  I've got a very early 37th TJK that is in excellent condition and shoots point of aim out to 500m.  Only problem is ammo but if you reload it can be made from cut down .30-06. If not, but all the ammo you see at the shops/shows.

PM me the serial number and a clear picture of the markings and I'll look up when (approximately) it was made.  I'm a Japanese collector and have several reference books on these rifles and equipment.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#4]
nice rifle - love shooting my two. Stock is too short though.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice find. I picked up a nice Kokura Series 20 Type 99 a few years back.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Think I have heard of bronze wool being used, but confirm that before you do.  Nice rifle.  How much did the ammo run?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ammo was $66 for 40 rounds, its 150gr SP made by Load X out of Santa Rosa CA
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

That rifle was made in Hiroshima,  btw.  The circle with two lines is the Hiroshima Arsenal marking, made under contract and supervision of Tokyo Kogyo.  That's a nice series to start with, only 35th and 37th are harder to find.  It will shoot great and I promise it will be one of your favorite rifles.  I've got a very early 37th TJK that is in excellent condition and shoots point of aim out to 500m.  Only problem is ammo but if you reload it can be made from cut down .30-06. If not, but all the ammo you see at the shops/shows.

PM me the serial number and a clear picture of the markings and I'll look up when (approximately) it was made.  I'm a Japanese collector and have several reference books on these rifles and equipment.

Sweet, I'll get a clear pic in a few, the serial is in the mid 15000 i think. What would you suggest as a good read on Arisaka rifles?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sweet, I'll get a clear pic in a few, the serial is in the mid 15000 i think. What would you suggest as a good read on Arisaka rifles?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

here are some great books on Japanese rifles

Military Rifles of Japan Hardcover – June, 1996
by Fred L., Jr. Honeycutt (Author), F. Patt Anthony (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Military-Rifles-Japan-Fred-Honeycutt/dp/0962320870

Japanese Rifles of World War II Paperback – January, 1996
by Duncan O. McCollum (Author)

Japanese 7.7mm Arisaka Type 99 Rifle CollectorHandbook (Collector Handbook, 27) Paperback – January 1, 2008
by Ian D. Skennerton (Author)

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Japanese 7.7mm Arisaka Type 99 Rifle CollectorHandbook (Collector Handbook, 27) Paperback – January 1, 2008

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

My best reference is "The Arisaka Type 99" by Don Voigt.  It's so big it had to be spiral bound.  I know Don personally.   Head over to Gunboards forum and go to the Japanese section.  His handle is 03man.  Also, the first recommendation of "Military Rifles of Japan" by Fred Honeycutt is a great source and can be purchased at Amazon.com or ebay.  If you start reading other forums this book is referred to as MRoJ.  I have a first edition on my bookshelf.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice those were the books I was looking at last night, I'll pick one of them up today.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Took the Arisaka to the range and had some fun. Started at 50 yards to get an idea of how it shoots and found it low and to the left so worked my way to the middle and moved to 100 yards and did pretty much the same thing.
I am still not used to grouping so I kept adjusting after every shot. All in all it was a blast shooting it, I don't know what it is but the felt recoil is so much less than my Mosin carbine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top